Page 770 of 770 FirstFirst ... 270670720760768769770
Results 7,691 to 7,699 of 7699

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    First ride on new bike, put peddles on and checked it over (well a mate did all the work to be entirely honest). Clipped in my new clogs and wobbled off down the road, a nervous 16k and 250m and didn't fall over ��.

Great to ride several kph faster than before simply by spending money, never worked like that for fell running, had to b****y train ��.
    Good to hear you've got your new bike on the road and going faster. The cheapest way, (ie free to us tightwads), to improve your performance is to get your saddle positioned correctly. For this reason I have supplied below a link to The Lemond Method of saddle height calculation on the 1860 hub.

https://www.pearson1860.com/blogs/18...-saddle-height

Although I'm not a great fan of Greg Lemond, and Graham will probably have something more scathing to say about him, he did win 2 of his 3 Tour de France victories legitimately, and his technical knowledge/understanding is good.

Following surgery I changed my position on the bike, lowering the saddle height to 700mm. After seeing this article I followed his steps and the calculation came out at 698mm. I therefore recommend all of you who ride road bikes, in all their flavours, to try his calculation. (I'm not suggesting it for MTB riders as it's probably totally different)
    Last edited by Marco; 12-06-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Although I'm not a great fan of Greg Lemond, and Graham will probably have something more scathing to say about him, he did win 2 of his 3 Tour de France victories legitimately, and his technical knowledge/understanding is good.

I'm not scathing about Lemond. He was a whiner but he brought decent money into the sport and kit innovations and helped bring down Armstrong - so that counts for a lot.

And he won a couple of Tours fair and square - so only one less than the gifted Laurent Fignon.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Today I planned a meandering country-road ride to take in those 20% climbs near Cononley and Lothersdale and the interesting little challenge up to Pinhaw (388 meters) via a route I have never followed before.

And naturally I ride with a super-duper "cycling" Garmin. So imagine my dismay when, shortly after setting off, my Garmin decided to punish me for neglecting her recently (running with my "running" Garmin) by switching off and pretending that her battery was flat. As if.

But what to do? If it aint on Strava then the ride never happened and so I obviously I had to urgently consider all my options; but eventually carried on without reference to time of day, speed or any data at all - and found it all oddly invigorating.

Obviously riding with such an unencumbered free spirit I climbed like Pantani and descended like Nibali - but, alas, the world will never see the proof.

From OS maps I know my mileage was in the mid 30s but I don't know the total climb - I guess 10,000 feet? - so I will have to repeat the exact ride all over again.

After all, if it aint on Strava,...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; Yesterday at 08:45 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    And he won a couple of Tours fair and square - so only one less than the gifted Laurent Fignon.
    I enjoyed this line greatly, Graham

Well my ride ended up on Strava. Unfortunately the download of my route gpx to my computer failed so had a ride not quite as intended and got lost a few times but at least I saw some areas of note for future rides. After going over the Clent hills, I strayed out if Worcestershire and into neighbouring Warwickshire. Tardebigge, Alvechurch and then on to the Wast hills before returning home via the Lickeys. 77km/1200m on a scorching afternoon.
    Still not running so bike is getting a fair bit of action!

As an aside, does anyone on here use Look Keo cleats/pedals? Have a sore Achilles and I think some more float would be helpful. I think look go up to 9% whereas my SPDs are only 5%

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    But what to do? If it aint on Strava then the ride never happened and so I obviously I had to urgently consider all my options; but eventually carried on without reference to time of day, speed or any data at all - and found it all oddly invigorating.

Obviously riding with such an unencumbered free spirit I climbed like Pantani and descended like Nibali - but, alas, the world will never see the proof.

From OS maps I know my mileage was in the mid 30s but I don't know the total climb - I guess 10,000 feet? - so I will have to repeat the exact ride all over again.

After all, if it aint on Strava,...
    I've never used Strava. Forty years ago, when I was reading old cycling magazines in school assemblies, I only saw brake levers on the handlebars of stars such as Merckx, Gimondi, Fuente and Maertens. I never saw the need to know exactly how far I'd gone or how fast; weather conditions alter times on a bike more than running.

If your technology is broken, rather than just flat, you could use Google Maps and use the right click option 'Directions from here' and add destination points along your route this will give you an accurate distance, (assuming that you don't weave around on the road a lot). If you set it to the Cycling mode it was also give you an ascent figure, although it's not very accurate and always seems to undercalculate your ascent.

If you want better accuracy you can click away on OS maps 'Create Custom Route' option. This is better for ascent accuracy, but doesn't give you any credit for bridges such as the 10m climb every time I cross the West Coast mainline in the Tame Valley

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    As an aside, does anyone on here use Look Keo cleats/pedals? Have a sore Achilles and I think some more float would be helpful. I think look go up to 9% whereas my SPDs are only 5%
    I've never used Look Keo cleats/pedals - I use the Shimano SPD-SL setup and find I get too much float - even on the 'fixed' red cleats. My experience is that if you alter the tension of the release mechanism to make it easier to release, you get more float. If you have this option I would try this first before spending money

I have, however, partially ruptured one of my Achilles tendons twice - being unable to run for 4.5 years the first time, when I was in my late twenties, and 1.5 years the second time when I was 41. It wasn't until 18 months ago that it became apparent why, when my other leg was clinically measured as being 11mm shorter* - leading to twisting of my foot when loading/unloading the Achilles tendon in order to run straight rather than in a circle.

* My leg itself wasn't 11mm shorter, it was the misshapen hip cup in my pelvis that was (to cut a long story short) in the wrong position

Thanks for that Marco, will have a read. I need a few rides and get it set up properly this next week.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Having had a good night's sleep, another option, (the obvious one), came to mind. In the SPD-SL setup, the amount of float is determined by the width of the cleat at the front end (the point of the triangle, so to speak). What this means is that if you want more float you can file down the sides of the cleat.

I don't know about the practicalities of filing down SPD cleats, which I believe are hard steel, or your views on doing such a thing as it is a one-way process. If I was in your position, however, I would check you have a spare cleat, and then lock your shoe in without your foot and then measure how much movement in mm that you currently have. With this amount noted, I would then, in small increments, file and then re-measure the float. If it doesn't go well you fit your spare cleat and end up at the start.