Page 748 of 760 FirstFirst ... 248648698738746747748749750758 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,480 of 7591

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Despite being relatively flat we still managed to clock up 2400 ft of climbing.
    With a Garmin - they all count!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Despite being relatively flat we still managed to clock up 2400 ft of climbing.
    Relatively flat?! Possibly by Lancashire standards, but positively mountainous compared to around here; I have to hunt hills to top 1000ft of ascent in 40 miles

Wheeze will be relieved to hear that his good mate, the infamous R. the R. and mate arrived back here in one piece on their ebikes. Just.
    I think batteries were challenged but a good time had by both in the wilds. First time I have seen one of those bikes up close, scary monsters and way heavier than I expected (these were full on mountain bike varieties).

More adventures being planned in the wilds of mid Wales 😉.

10-ish mile loop with Mrs Noel on the tandem. Including the impending steepness of the road from the Leather's Smithy up to Forest Chapel. 3 minutes slower than going the other way round about a week ago.

After the recent artic spell I decided that 8 degrees C would have to do and I ventured out for my first outside ride of the month. Lovely sun, but a biting North wind that stung your face.

The plan was to find a nice quiet stretch of flat, straightish road, without too much traffic, suitable to do intervals on. Whilst finding a flat stretch of road around here is easier than finding a hill to run up in the Lake District, finding one without too much traffic is not easy.

I reasoned that Gorse Lane in Fradley, alongside what was the busiest airfield in Staffordshire during World War II, might be suitable - especially as it has a ye olde hump-back bridge over the Coventry Canal at the North end, which excludes all big vehicles. As predicted I had the 300m stretch I wanted, with 50m to turn around at the end, but I was surprised how busy the hump-back bridge was.

With HS2 closing one of the roads I ended up doing 5 x 300m reps and a total ride of 22.6km with 106m of ascent

Cav won in Turkey
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Cav won in Turkey
    He would have won stage 1 as well if a rider in front hadn't had to unclip, having over cooked the last bend, and causing everyone behind him to ease off for a moment.

It was great to see so many riders congratulating him after his win which shows the esteem he is still held in.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

and again.
    His Day two win showed an incredible turn of speed in the last 150m. He took about 3-4 bikes lengths out of Philipsen.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Finally got around to ordering my new road bike (I don't have a road bike), been trying for near 12 months but with everywhere out of stock and not being able to visit shops for ages I've just taken a punt on a mail order.

A proper one made out of that black plastic stuff, but nothing Italian on it 😃. It's a Sonder from Alpkit and they have knocked 500 off as discontinuing there range of carbon cycles - so I've just grabbed one and hope for the best. Be another 4 weeks+ before delivery I expect, but at least I shall have aanother bike to ride. Whenever mine needs repairs or even new tyres like last week it is off the road for weeks awaiting parts. All a bit of a pain.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    A proper one made out of that black plastic stuff, but nothing Italian on it ��. It's a Sonder from Alpkit and they have knocked 500 off as discontinuing there range of carbon cycles - so I've just grabbed one and hope for the best. Be another 4 weeks+ before delivery I expect, but at least I shall have aanother bike to ride. Whenever mine needs repairs or even new tyres like last week it is off the road for weeks awaiting parts. All a bit of a pain.
    When you said they'd knocked off 500 I almost choked! That's just over twice the 249 I paid, new, for my last bike. Mind you, it's only got a carbon fork and it does say Raleigh in very large letters, (to which I say to bike snobs would have been the bike that won the 1989 Tour de France, if the rules had been applied fairly).

In view of what you said about your bike being off the road, even for tyres, you could buy a spare pair of wheels which you could kit out with tyres and a cassette for just over 200. If you did this you could have one set for summer use and one with more solid tyres for the more challenging weather - which would probably be 9 months of the year where you live