Page 679 of 846 FirstFirst ... 179579629669677678679680681689729779 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,790 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Looks like you missed out there: I've just had a look at the OS map, and the Ellers road has 225m of climbing, including a double chevron on the lower section.

Some years ago when I was doing my research on runners' speed variation with gradient, I had some correspondence with the organiser of the Silsden Murder Mile. They were quoting some grossly inflated figure for the amount of climbing, and I persuaded them to change to what was apparent from the OS map, which is just over 150 metres.

But I haven't had any success with the Tryfan Downhill Dash. The organisers still insist that the finish is 69 metres below the surface of Llyn Ogwen.
    A double chevron? Sweet memory. Was there ever a finer vehicle than a Citroën XM? A car is just a car - but owning an XM is a love affair that never fades.

Anyway I shall conquer Ellers Road next time. One comes to a bifurcation and one has to choose; but tomorrow is another day and another ride.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 19-10-2020 at 11:41 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

32k and 380m (so flat) on the road to town for some shopping, first exercise for a week but as so often happens, a rest for the legs results in a bit of a blast in places.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

25k and near 600m, even took a couple of local scalps on ascents through the forestry, very pleasing on a wet horrible afternoon.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Well yes Ellers Road from Sutton in Craven is a double chevron and I was only just in time because it is closed from next Monday for two weeks.

So Ilkley to Sutton in Craven, up Ellers Road, up Google Eye and up Murder Mile again: 25 miles and 3000 feet. On a climb I don't worry about how slow I am going because I know if I climb too slowly a shoulder hitting the tarmac will tell me, but I do look at my Garmin heart rate. If it stays below 150 (normal resting is 50)I can cope. Above 150 I am on borrowed time. Today it peaked at 148 on Ellers Road and also touching 42 mph on a bouncy, pot holed descent. I assume one was from effort and the other due to fear.

Anyway 3200 miles this year so far - I think that deserves a 6.6% Leffe
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 23-10-2020 at 10:18 PM.

If only you were a local lad - just Ellers. No road

After a ride like that - Rochefort 10 at least...

QUOTE=Graham Breeze;668323]Ellers Road

I think that deserves a 6.6% Leffe
    Eight Eccentrics of Yangzhou

Quote Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
    If only you were a local lad - just Ellers. No road

After a ride like that - Rochefort 10 at least...
    Well on your recommendation - oddly I didn't see any other cyclists on any climbs. Obviously have more sense.

Its been a cold, wet and windy day here today but late afternoon the sun came out and so did I. At 4.30 with the roads drying I managed to squeeze in a 12 and a half miles and 1'250 feet in just under 50 minutes before Dad's Taxi duties were required.

A loop of Lathkill Dale starting with the drop to Conksbury followed by the long uphill drag to Arbour Low and then down into Monyash. Up Horse Lane to Magpie Mine and then gently downhill home.

Unfortunately the sun and wind hadn't dried the cowshit on the road outside the farm as I re-entered the village so I've got a filthy bike, AGAIN!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

They say round these parts that there is nothing to the east of Pinhaw (388 metres) until you meet the Urals and whilst the sceptic might ponder “‘appen so”, the refreshing winds, as today, coming from the West Siberian Plain can be very persuasive. Pinhaw lies just off the Carleton in Craven (near Skipton) to Colne Road and in both directions provides long steady climbs (the road totalling 9 miles). It is the turn point for several fell races.

John McAdam’s finest does not take you right up to the trig point although on the Colne side a few hundred yards away the road does take you right up to the gates of a BT antennae installation which at 363 metres gives you a nice view of Pinhaw and, who knows, the Urals too?

For those who really like riding their bikes right up to an OS trig point Leeds can, of course, oblige because the Scott Hall OS pillar is set between the dual carriageways of the A61 Leeds-Harrogate Road (SE 30054 36382).

Anyway 30 miles,3100 feet and views of Russia. Allegedly

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    They say round these parts that there is nothing to the east of Pinhaw (388 metres) until you meet the Urals and whilst the sceptic might ponder “‘appen so”, the refreshing winds, as today, coming from the West Siberian Plain can be very persuasive.
    "They say . . .". Who says? "They" obviously haven't been looking at their maps very carefully. Almost exactly due East of Pinhaw is Thimble Stones (402 metres) on Ilkley Moor. Oh, sorry, Ilkley is in Siberia.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Pinhaw lies just off the Carleton in Craven (near Skipton) to Colne Road and in both directions provides long steady climbs (the road totalling 9 miles).
    Yes, but more challenging climbs if you go up from Cononley . . .
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    "They say . . .". Who says? "They" obviously haven't been looking at their maps very carefully. Almost exactly due East of Pinhaw is Thimble Stones (402 metres) on Ilkley Moor. Oh, sorry, Ilkley is in Siberia.

Yes, but more challenging climbs if you go up from Cononley . . .
    I am starting to think you are from these parts Anthony...all this local knowledge.