Page 770 of 846 FirstFirst ... 270670720760768769770771772780820 ... LastLast
Results 7,691 to 7,700 of 8451

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Yesterday was first ride in near 3 weeks - it wasn't raining or horrible - a gentle pootle round the loop of about 17 miles and 1000ft.
    I also find cycling has little to commend it through the winter months, other than the occasional perfect winters day, the rest is dire. Not having cycling clothes probably doesn't help but going out in rain is horrible, wind is dangerous and so is any frost and potential ice on the roads, plus every time I go downhill I freeze again. I am too old to take those risks as my bones no longer bounce when I fall over, they will break given any opportunity.
    And then there are the wet and muddy bikes to deal with that promptly go rusty overnight when put back in the garden shed.
    Fell running was so much simpler and warmer, I am happy in any weather on the hills and can keep warm and snug even when running down. Lovely sunny morning today for a bike, but freezing and ice on the roads still so a walk it is.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I also find cycling has little to commend it through the winter months
    The Craven Arms, Appletreewick.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Reading your post below, a thought ��.
    Brought on by the fact our car, neither a jag, citroen or mustang (ok, it is a japanese thingy but forget what) has lots of warning lights flashing, quite festive for the time of year, but the garage cannot look at them for 3 weeks.

When will a cycle manufacturer start installing warning lights for malfunctioning parts? Imagine the fun of flashing handlebar lights and the tales to tell in the pub after a ride.

My ironic, and I hope amusing, letter developing the theme is published this week in Cycling Weekly.

To show gratitude for your inspiration I gift you all of my author royalties.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    My ironic, and I hope amusing, letter developing the theme is published this week in Cycling Weekly.

To show gratitude for your inspiration I gift you all of my author royalties.
    I presume Cycling Weekly is a weekly cycling magazine - which like most magazines struggles to find anything more to write about their subject on a weekly basis?

I used to write for a few magazines (running, fishing, countryside stuff) and did some articles and photography for Runners World or whatever it was called, we are talking 30 years ago, unless royalties have increased massively above inflation rates please keep any that come your way and treat yourself to a half pint of best bitter after your next race. And think of me 🍺

I presume Cycling Weekly is a weekly cycling magazine - which like most magazines struggles to find anything more to write about their subject on a weekly basis?

I used to write for a few magazines (running, fishing, countryside stuff) and did some articles and photography for Runners World or whatever it was called, we are talking 30 years ago, unless royalties have increased massively above inflation rates please keep any that come your way and treat yourself to a half pint of best bitter after your next race. And think of me ��
    Alas CW only prints one letter a week and the glory has to suffice.

When I was at school I submitted a few short pieces (a handful of paragraphs) to NME (New Musical Express) which they published, gave me name credit and paid me £3 guineas for each. That is equivalent to £70 today which was quite nice for someone who should have been studying for his "A" levels. So it is NME's encouragement that is to blame for all those articles I now write for The Fellrunner

Being paid in guineas says it all, serious money for a youngster 👍.

Spring must be in the air because I've been out twice this week - albeit on the winter bike - a 19 miles/ 1700 feet and a 24 miles/ 1900 feet on local country roads. One steep climb I had only done once before (from Bradley) was when I had been delayed and was riding home in the dark without lights. I was so nervous to avoid being mown down by some lunatic in a BMW that I didn't notice how long the climb was - but I did today.

I was having coffee with my son before I set off (Cafe Nero) and someone on a Cervelo carbon dream machine asked us to "watch his bike" while he went inside. My son noticed something was odd about his gears (Shimano so I didn't understand) and the guy had a 34 on the rear. When he appeared he explained he had put it on for when he did the Coast to Coast and said, looking at my son's Fred Whitton top, "at the end you just want to finish don't you".

Yep. I'm sure that is right.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 05-12-2021 at 08:14 PM.

Big Chevin is worse for people trying to get past you. They just go into oncoming traffic or on the blind bends and crests leading up to York Gate. It bothers me a bit because the direction of force would sent them into me if a collision ocurred. The idea that you can't be at fault if you're overtaking very slowly on a blind crest or bend is commonplace; it's the thing of, "it's your fault because you were going faster than me, and should have slowed for the dangerously reckless manouveur i was attempting".
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

There was a time when I would have been satisfied to ride 2600 miles in a year, but now I feel only embarrassment after a 28 miles pootle up local favourites like the slurry fest that can be Black Hill near Bramhope today took me over that total for the year.

To offset a potential mid-life crisis I am blaming the return of fell races and the kindness of RO who recognise a V75 category. So thank you Whittle Pike, Thievely Pike, Shepherd's Skyline, Whinberry Naze, Race To The Summit...and even Hurst Green Turkey Trot.

I love you all, they all count and Happy New Year from an old man.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-12-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Having finished the old year on the Boardman I thought I should take the Bianchi out under a clear blue sky to Beamsley Beacon and past Bolton Abbey before the rains came. And come they did as the sky blackened and every approaching car met me with headlights blazing. Shortly before I reached home an ambulance screamed past me with siren sounding and blue lights flashing on its way to a domestic 999 call. A few minutes later I passed the ambulance in a side road and the paramedic emerged from his cab, looked at my bedraggled drenched state and cheerfully observed "rather you than me mate" and went about his duties.

Still, 23 miles and 2000 feet. They all count.