Page 736 of 846 FirstFirst ... 236636686726734735736737738746786836 ... LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,360 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Not in the mood and short of time, but a 18 mile and 2000ft up to reservoir, round on gravel and back.
    Strangely had a couple of PRs on Strava, think it is the new tyres.

A brief snapshot of Saturday’s descent from the Cam High Road to Semerwater, with me following Hester

Amstel Gold Women

Never let it be said...that whilst weeding the garden is usually more exciting than watching women's road racing it was pretty damn good to see Marianne Vos (admittedly the greatest female rider of all time) overhaul two top riders - including the winner of the last Amstel Gold - neither of whom would lead out and so lost out.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Amstel Gold Women

Never let it be said...that whilst weeding the garden is usually more exciting than watching women's road racing it was pretty damn good to see Marianne Vos (admittedly the greatest female rider of all time) overhaul two top riders - including the winner of the last Amstel Gold - neither of whom would lead out and so lost out.
    Yes Graham, they got what they deserved - nothing.

van Aert, Pidcock and Schachmann nearly cocked it up too.

But they didn't!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Deafenin' All Over the World wasn't even one of their songs - John Fogerty wrote it

It's very simple though, Mr B, you've just got to ride greater than 15.5mph to stop this sort of thing happening and letting the side down
    I was doing about 22mph at the time, 53/16 or therabouts. He came past at over 30mph by my reckoning, in a hail of tyre roar and stadium rock. I was half expecting to see him pushing it along the Burley-in-wharfedale bypass with a flat battery.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Are you able to enlighten us as to why such a high concentration of villages have names ending in 'stone' in this area?
    No, I haven't a clue. It doesn't seem to be a particularly stony area.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Could it be that they derived from "ton". Farm or hamlet (apparently): https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...h-place-names/

There are a few examples where subsequent civilisations have added their word for settlement on the end of the existing name. So you can get places like [something]tonville.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Could it be that they derived from "ton". Farm or hamlet (apparently): https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...h-place-names/
    Quite possibly: between Nailstone and Barlestone, I cycled through Osbaston, which doesn't quite manage to be a "-stone" village.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    There are a few examples where subsequent civilisations have added their word for settlement on the end of the existing name. So you can get places like [something]tonville.
    My favourite example of names being formed like this is Breedon-on-the-Hill: if you analyse the origins of this name, it means "Hill-Hill-on-the-Hill", with "Bree" coming from the same root as the Scottish "Brae", and "don" as in the "downs" of Southern England.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Worst of all I still haven't reached the top of the half hill, something I must remedy before it gets mentioned again![/QUOTE]

Do it soon Marco before it too disappears and becomes No-Hill No-Hill on the No-Hill.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

During today's pleasant 38 miles perambulation around the environs of the second city I parked near Halfords in Guiseley and secured my bike next to one of those massive German e-bikes powered by the best of Bosch and looking as though it was forged on a Panzer II assembly line. It wasn't so much the huge steel U-Bolt security device, that would have kept a brace of Harleys safe from theft, that next drew my attention but the huge dog (German Shepherd?) that was intimately tethered to aforementioned bike. So a real two-for-one offer for any potential thief.

As I tried to stare down the dog whilst wielding my oxy-acetylene torch the owner arrived and I asked him where he e-biked with his trusty hound winding up to 15 mph to gambol alongside and he assured me that this was not at all difficult and "there is always a back way" to where owner and dog wish to go.

The owner, who might have been German, was very chatty and, not surprisingly since I was only a few feet from it, I thought the vigilant and protective dog was even more delightful.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-04-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".