Page 708 of 730 FirstFirst ... 208608658698706707708709710718 ... LastLast
Results 7,071 to 7,080 of 7294

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

[QUOTE=Graham Breeze;671279]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Crossed the West Coast mainline at Tamworth on the new bridge that replaced the nearly new bridge. Twenty plus years ago it was a level crossing with a busy road which was considered a safety issue. A bridge was built to the side and when completed the road was kinked to the side over it and the level crossing was shut. Ten years later they widened the West Coast mainline from two tracks to four, and in order to do this they built another new bridge to the side (directly above where the level crossing had been) and then demolished the ten year old bridge. It brings a smile to my face every time I go over the new, new bridge - and now you know why HS2 is going to cost so much!

2004 to 2008 works (Wikipedia)

Prior to this work being carried out, the West Coast Main Line had four tracks between London and Rugby, comprising a "fast line" and a "slow line" in each direction (the slow lines diverting via the Northampton Loop Line). Similarly, there were four tracks north of Stafford. Although parts of the Trent Valley line previously had four tracks, there was an 11-mile (18 km) long section of track between Tamworth and Armitage that had only ever been double track. When plans for the modernisation of the WCML were being developed in the 1990s, it was realised that these arrangements could not accommodate the faster Pendolino trains as well as slower local services. It was therefore decided to increase the number of tracks between Lichfield and Armitage to four; later it was decided to extend this from Tamworth as well, giving four tracks throughout from Nuneaton to Colwich Junction, north of Rugeley. The two outer tracks are "slow", while the "fast" lines are the two innermost tracks.[4]

Work started in 2004, and access roads were built on the eastern side of the line. Substantial earthworks were carried out and 37 bridges were replaced. A level crossing at Hademore was replaced by two road bridges in early 2007. The four-track railway between Lichfield North and Armitage was brought into use on 29 May 2008. Concurrently, Lichfield Trent Valley signal box was closed and within a month had been demolished. On 8 September the same year, the four-track railway between Tamworth and Lichfield came into use and Tamworth signal box closed.

So 37 new bridges? Don't you just love civil engineers?
    37 new bridges? I demand a re-count. The level crossing at Hademore I knew well, and was replaced by one bridge (I cycled over it yesterday). The other bridge (about 100 metres towards Tamworth) was to replace an existing two-track bridge to a farm. The Burton Old Road bridge at Lichfield was replaced, too, but not because of the track widening. The 1840-something bridge wasn't strong enough for the warehouse units they built.

There was a signal box at Hademore, too. Which meant that four signalmem lost their jobs when the level crossing was built. Screwed up the road too, as they didn't get the alignment with the old road correct.

For those of you who are interested I have attached a link to the OS map of 1960 from the excellent National Library of Scotland. For those of you who have no interest in ralways, you can see how flat it is!

https://maps.nls.uk/view/91576790

Hademore is roughly halfway along the railway line between Tamworth and Lichfield in the lower left of the map
    Last edited by Marco; 17-01-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    [QUOTE=Graham Breeze;671279]

Work started in 2004, and access roads were built on the eastern side of the line. Substantial earthworks were carried out and 37 bridges were replaced. A level crossing at Hademore was replaced by two road bridges in early 2007. The four-track railway between Lichfield North and Armitage was brought into use on 29 May 2008. Concurrently, Lichfield Trent Valley signal box was closed and within a month had been demolished. On 8 September the same year, the four-track railway between Tamworth and Lichfield came into use and Tamworth signal box closed.

At least here they actual built the railway improvements. In my neck of the woods, several bridges were rebuilt, with roads typically being closed for six months, to make way for electrification; and then the electrification was cancelled.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Today's ride was via Wymeswold, Six Hills and Thrussington. As on Friday's ride, I went past a "Road closed" sign. On Friday, the sign was on Whitcroft's Lane, Copt Oak, and all I encountered was a few road maintenance men clearing up at the end of their job. Today the sign was in Sileby, at the start of the road across the river Soar's flood plain to Mountsorrel. It's a flood plain: the clue is in the name. Anyway, I got through to Mountsorrel, but with rather wet feet.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post

At least here they actual built the railway improvements. In my neck of the woods, several bridges were rebuilt, with roads typically being closed for six months, to make way for electrification; and then the electrification was cancelled.
    Now that is really unfortunate; all of the pain and none of the gain. It's worth saying that it took 6 years to electrify the London - Manchester route, and then another 9 years to reach Glasgow so there's a lot of long-term planning involved.

My guess is that you will get electrification, as they're not allowed to buy new diesel locomotives, is just a case of when.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

Using Google Maps and my local knowledge I have counted 22 new bridges and 2 modified ones (and this includes the footpaths and underpasses

Back on the Arkose today, still shod with knobblies, for a ride out via Monyash and Longnor to the Staffordshire Moorlands and todays beautifully located TP at Revidge, up on Reaps Moor. From there down to Hulme End and Beresford Dale before back up to Biggin and home via Monyash and Horse Lane.

A total of 36 miles and 3,370 feet in 2hrs 57 mins. Rather slow overall mainly because 5 miles were off road and 1 of them was spent pushing or shouldering the bike due to a combination of either gradient, boggy ground or water!

A very windy day and it looked and felt like it could rain at any moment but it didn't

Whilst riding into Longnor I saw a LHD British Cycling liveried Skoda approaching from the opposite direction followed a few hundred yards later by 4 cyclists clad completely in black. With snoods over their faces and shades I could not even tell if they were boys or girls.
    Obviously elite athletes on one of the BC programmes. I thought that they seemed a bit over wrapped up as it wasn't that cold.

I wondered if the BC car was on an essential journey but then realised that the cyclists would probably get lost without it, not have a nice warm drink available and no spare wheel if they got a puncture!
    I hope they appreciate how fortunate they are, especially in these uncertain times.

Lucky Buggers!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Marco;671280]
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

For those of you who are interested I have attached a link to the OS map of 1960 from the excellent National Library of Scotland. For those of you who have no interest in railways, you can see how flat it is!

https://maps.nls.uk/view/91576790
    Thank you.

I like old maps from which railways have disappeared. I like being out in the country and seeing bridge abutments or lines of trees across the landscape which make no sense until you realise they show the line of an old track bed, or abandoned embankments. Ilkley is now a terminus but the line used to go on to Skipton (and Carlisle and Scotland) and there was an embankment and several bridges cutting Ilkley in half and although they have been removed their heritage determines how Ilkley has developed over the last 60 years.

Naturally I have Trackatlas which shows every metre of track in the UK and Railway Atlas Then And Now comparing the the January 1923 and 2012 track systems and like everyone else the 1904 Railway Clearing House Atlas and of course the network map of December 1947 prior to nationalisation and modern maps of...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-01-2021 at 10:33 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I'm glad you liked the link, Graham. I don't know why, but the National Library of Scotland has an excellent collection of English maps, so if you want to see how your town/city/village looked x number of years ago it's a great place to look.

You can go back a long time too. I saw some maps of my area where the railways were labelled LNWR (Graham will know what that stands for), so we're talking pre-1923. The website isn't the easiest one to grapple with, but if you give it some time you will find what you want.

Back on the Scott Solace road bike today for the first time this year and Oh, how much easier does it roll on the tarmac compared to the Arkose.

A northerly loop today to Bakewell, Baslow and then up to todays TP at Grange Hill situate the roadside giving views over Chesterfield and its crooked spire.

Along the moors to Curbar Gap, no cars or coffee wagon, and down to Froggatt before up to Eyam along the now permanently closed road, due to landslip, to all but cyclists, walkers or horse riders. Over to Foolow, Great Hucklow, Tideswell and down into Millers Dale before up my least liked climb to Taddington. A final, mainly downhill, six miles home.

A total of 37 miles, 3,648 feet in 2hrs 38 mins. A very windy and cold day on what seemed busy roads, but then I was nearer Chesterfield and Sheffield than usual, and around 20 other cyclists seen.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I saw a cyclist today, my mate Neil went past on his road bike - good to see because he had covid in December. Though 10 minutes later his wife came by on her bike and stopped for a chat - much muttering about if he overdoes things he won't be getting any sympathy from her as everyone has warned him to take it easy.
    Where have I heard that lecture before?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I'm glad you liked the link, Graham. I don't know why, but the National Library of Scotland has an excellent collection of English maps, so if you want to see how your town/city/village looked x number of years ago it's a great place to look.

You can go back a long time too. I saw some maps of my area where the railways were labelled LNWR (Graham will know what that stands for), so we're talking pre-1923. The website isn't the easiest one to grapple with, but if you give it some time you will find what you want.
    It is a brilliant website, particularly the side by side views.

The London and North Western Railway (LNWR) was allegedly in the late 19th century the largest joint stock company in the world (although some references merely say UK).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-01-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".