Page 741 of 846 FirstFirst ... 241641691731739740741742743751791841 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,410 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I am always pleased to see my son but I do have mixed feelings when he invites me for a ride. After all he is doing the Fred Whitton - plus lots more things before that. He also stops at the top of climbs and when I am not looking takes pictures of me for "relive my ride".

Coming from Otley he is nicely warmed up after the 7 miles to Ilkley and ready to blast off from my gate towards the rocks and gravel track that on maps is mendaciously referred to as Keighley Road. The descent from the mast at the watershed (River Aire or Wharfe) towards Riddlesden, and which is a tarmac road, is however a pleasant 40mph+ freewheel descent, particularly since the recent resurfacing to eliminate the potholes which used to provide added bounce to one's descent. The climb is one of Simon Warren's chosen and although it only peaks at 15%, at nearly 5000 metres (278 m) it does go on for a bit.

Since I was on the ADVenture bike it then seemed appropriate from Riddlesden to follow the Leeds-Liverpool canal to Silsden which is so handy for the Brunthwaite Lane climb (Wharfedale Harriers' "Murder Mile" hill climb) but only after we had advised two ladies of a certain age that the "noise" they were hearing on their brand new e-bikes was the shrieking brake discs.

Pausing to survey the splendid view at the top of Brunthwaite Lane we waited for an elderly lady to arrive on a Pennine e-bike at some speed to be informed that her e-bike tackled said climb without even breathing hard. She then extolled the virtues of e-bikes (she also had a carbon fibre, skinny tyres road bike back home so there were no questions from her for us about odd noises) for their flexibility to eg whisk you home at 15 mph when the rains came.

She recommended that I might consider one "when I get old" - which I thought was rather sweet.

So I am taking her to Barbados next week.

So: son-bonding, 16 miles +1870 feet and a new friend for life. Isn't cycling great!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 11-05-2021 at 03:59 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    She recommended that I might consider one "when I get old" - which I thought was rather sweet.
    On getting old: is it a sign of getting old when you get overtaken twice by the same cyclist on a ride? And last Sunday wasn't the first time that this has happened to me. The lady who did this to me one day last year had only taken a slightly longer route in one of the flatter parts of Leicestershire; but the bloke who did it last Sunday was seen turning off shortly after passing me the first time, and his route to the point where he passed me the second time can only have been along Priory Lane, which I have previously noted on this thread as being a road suitable for those cyclists who like to maximise their climbing.

The other notable incident on last Sunday's ride involved a large tractor with a trailer full of hay. After it had overtaken me and disappeared round the next bend, I heard a horrendous screech. When I arrived at the scene, one of the tyres of the trailer was hanging off, and the driver was manoeuvring his rig to turn it round.

Anyway, a ride of about 38 miles, southward through Newtown Linford and Newtown Unthank (but no other Newtowns) to Littlethorpe, and back through the middle of Leicester -- but along the Great Central Way and Forest Way cycle paths, from which one sees very little evidence that one is in a major city.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    On getting old: is it a sign of getting old when you get overtaken twice by the same cyclist on a ride? And last Sunday wasn't the first time that this has happened to me. The lady who did this to me one day last year had only taken a slightly longer route in one of the flatter parts of Leicestershire; but the bloke who did it last Sunday was seen turning off shortly after passing me the first time, and his route to the point where he passed me the second time can only have been along Priory Lane, which I have previously noted on this thread as being a road suitable for those cyclists who like to maximise their climbing.
    He could have just sprinted ahead then turned off and waited for you to pass, then done it again. If you were fast and mean enough, you could certainly mess with people's pride by doing that.

My equivalent is overtaking bikes while running (always uphill) or overtaking road bikes while on my 15kg commuter mountain bike. The trick is to look nonchalant and not completely knackered - a fine balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

The shot of adrenaline must have done me good, however, as I was powering along the road back,...
    My neighbour asked me today if my "fancy" (ie trade team) top made me ride faster.

"Of course it does" I replied, "about 5mph quicker".

Honestly! We cyclists are so misunderstood.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Just when I thought I was also too old to chase fish vans, an opportunity came that was too good to miss. It wasn't an Irish fish van, but a Staffordshire farmer pulling his sheep trailer, but it was still very high revs on the biggest gear I've got (49 x 12). The stupidity started just West of Wootton, and I held the back of the trailer all the way to Ellastone (and at a restrained 3m distance I might add). Yes, it was nearly all downhill, but there was a rise at the bottom which was 'challenging' at that speed.
    Would you have engaged in this stupidity if my report of an incident with an agricultural trailer had appeared the day before?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

My equivalent is overtaking bikes while running (always uphill) or overtaking road bikes while on my 15kg commuter mountain bike. The trick is to look nonchalant and not completely knackered - a fine balance.
    The road from my home to the town centre includes a long, gentle hill (climbs about 20 m in 600m horizontal), uphill on the way home. This hill is a favourite for hill reps among local and University athletes. It can be pretty challenging keeping up with them if I am cycling home with panniers full of shopping.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I remember being in Mallorca years ago with Mrs Noel. We'd hired bikes and were cycling into a gale of a headwind along the coast near Alcudia. We were somewhat disheartened but also very impressed to be overtaken by a gentleman on a hand-bike.

Harrogate has never got over hosting the finish of the TdF stage which Cavendish was supposed to win - but crashed instead. Ah well, pride goes before a fall.

The Tourist Office website states that money can't buy happiness but it can buy a bike and that's nearly as good. Of the local "killer climbs" the only one I hadn't done was Peat Lane (from Brewerley, near Pately Bridge) - until today. This is a sort of country lane bypass to the infamous 2 miles long Greenhow Hill, now resplendent with North Yorkshire's standard warning to cyclists Danger Long Steep Hill etc.

My son had said that climbing Peat Lane was horrible and it is. Harrogate Council warns that "descending Peat Lane should be done with EXTREME CAUTION, the road is steep with a degraded road surface, loose chippings, limited visibility and tight corners".

This is true but, of course, applies to ascending as well with a delighful 25% kicker near the start to get you in the right frame of mind. Today I used my ADVenture bike because the tyres are 35mm rather than the 25mm on the Italian Job but even this didn't stop the back wheel spinning as it lost grip on the loose gravel 25% section near False Tooth Bridge.

Anyway 40 miles, 3900 feet, max speed 40 mph, max pulse 149 bpm and "never again".

Sons do know best.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-05-2021 at 08:32 PM.

I was at that Harrogate stage. My one and only dalliance with elite cycling.

As everyone will know on 1st August is the Tom Pidcock Gran Fondo (from Ilkley - natch) of up to 180km of the finest climbs in t' Yorkshire Dales (Halton Gill, Kidstones Pass, you know them) so today I initially thought I would revisit past joys - but with a forecast of rain I then pondered if I really wanted to be chugging up a stream of gravel in the middle of nowhere on a cold, wet, miserable Sunday in May.

So instead I pootled round the reservoirs of the Washburn Valley willing it to rain so I could feel justifed with my aforementioned decisiveness.

Naturally the sun then came out and the weather was fine for an hour or so but just before I became really grumpy it finally poured down, thus allowing me to feel exonerated and, of course, turn for home - after all riding in the rain isn't that much fun even when you have a smug feeling inside.

So 23 miles + 2000 feet and a warm self-satisfied feeling.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 16-05-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Master
    Not so much a bike ride, more an afternoon out accompanied by a bike.

Headed westward, with a brief stop at Oaks-in-Charnwood where my wife was playing a tennis match; brief, because the home club didn't want any spectators.

Carried on, and couldn't resist wandering into Cademan Wood. In 1993/94 I spent hundreds of hours here and in the neighbouring Grace Dieu Wood and High Sharpley, surveying for an orienteering map. Since then, it has become a magnet for mountain-bikers, so I felt rather out-of-place on my touring bike with 32mm tyres. Anyway, I can't go through Cademan Wood without visiting the summit of High Cademan; and that has to be done by a scramble through the crags on the west side. I've noticed the cave with the hole in its top before, but never previously tried going up that way. The scramble up was fairly easy, but twisting across to get up through that hole seemed too risky, so I retreated; I didn't want the embarrassment of having to call for help if I got stuck.

Continued on my bike ride, exploring some of the back streets of Coalville on my convoluted route to Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Had a mooch round the St. Helen's churchyard (the church building was locked). Also stopped to look around St. Mary's churchyard at Coleorton; it would appear that this is the only place from where the public can see Coleorton Hall and its grounds ["Private Property, 24-hour surveillance", according to the sign at the start of the driveway].

Got thoroughly soaked by a heavy shower in the last half-hour before reaching home.
    Jorge Luis Borges