Page 672 of 846 FirstFirst ... 172572622662670671672673674682722772 ... LastLast
Results 6,711 to 6,720 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

A genuflection to Anthony Kay

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post

Anyway, The Fleak is the best route between Wensleydale and Swaledale: higher than both Buttertubs and Oxnop.
    You are correct.Fleak Moss is an interesting climb south from the River Swale and the views today were stunning. I also did Greets Moss from Redmire and Oxnab Scar summit from Askrigg.Over 3500 ft of climbing.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    A genuflection to Anthony Kay

You are correct.Fleak Moss is an interesting climb south from the River Swale and the views today were stunning. I also did Greets Moss from Redmire and Oxnab Scar summit from Askrigg.Over 3500 ft of climbing.
    I've only done it from south to north, and it was a long time ago. But I seem to remember that I found the descent into Swaledale somewhat frightening; used up a lot of brake rubber.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I've only done it from south to north, and it was a long time ago. But I seem to remember that I found the descent into Swaledale somewhat frightening; used up a lot of brake rubber.
    The Swale end is steep, twisty and narrow - and would not be pleasurable as a descent because there isn't room for a vehicle and a cyclist to pass without one or the other stopping.

In time!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Had a lovely ride out in Mid-Wales yesterday. 63 miles, 4’777 feet in 3 hrs 56. From Llani out to Rhayader and a tour of the glorious Elan Valley dams including the out and back to Claerwen. Back to Rhayader and then a right turn at Marteg taking me up to St Harmon, Pant y Dwr and Tylwch. Up out of Tylwch and right, up steeply and down into Newchapel, Oakley Park and home.

A perfect day for riding a bike.

One observation was that on the out and back to Claerwen, across the valley there were a couple of groups of Mountain e-bikers who were tearing up the footpath/bridleway. I could see the dust, gravel and soil they were throwing up from a couple of hundred yards away.

My concern is that with e-bikes these wild beautiful places are going to be spoiled as they become more accessible to people who would firstly, not get their under their own steam and secondly, in greater numbers.

I am sure that if these places were restricted to non e bikes there would be less damage due to fewer numbers and slower speeds, especially uphill!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Past our old house in Tylwch then, nice ride.
    Hadn't thought of that ebike problem over the Elan, the motor bikes did enough damage over the years till they managed to stop most of it - ruined a lot of paths like the Monks trod. Ebikers could have the same impact if numbers increase.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    ... Ebikers could have the same impact if numbers increase.
    And they WILL increase in numbers - MASSIVELY - over the next couple of years.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    67km with1100m ascent out into rural Worcestershire. Up and over the Clent Hills (where the Halesowen triathlon was somewhat surprisingly going on) and then out on quiet lanes to Rushock. Paid my respects to Bonzo as it 40 years this week since he sadly left us, and then headed back home via a second climb of Clent. A lovely morning for cycling, still in short sleeves and not an e-bike in sight - really enjoyed it despite the block headwind all the way back.

Pete i've had my eyes on Clent for a run out. Looks like it could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    And they WILL increase in numbers - MASSIVELY - over the next couple of years.
    Looking on the bright side, they will give me another thing to moan about and swear at in my grumpy old age!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Pete i've had my eyes on Clent for a run out. Looks like it could be interesting.
    As you know, it is the only hilly area of note with any kind of remotely challenging terrain within a few minutes drive of where I live. I'm therefore up there quite a bit - usually 2 or 3 times a week running, cycling or just walking the dog. There are a number of quieter paths away from the hords (of which there can be many on a good day) and it's quite easy to get in 500m ascent over a 10km run. The only downside is there is no long continuous ascent. The most you can do on any noteworthy gradient is about 150m over about a 1km or so.
    Plenty of good cycling to be had too. Some nice quiet roads and 5 notable climbs all within a few kms of each other.
    I can give you a few pointers on routes if you are interested. I would offer to show you around but I very much doubt I'd keep up with you! 😁