Page 750 of 846 FirstFirst ... 250650700740748749750751752760800 ... LastLast
Results 7,491 to 7,500 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Parked at Rifle Range corner (now disused) on Cannock Chase and rode downhill into Penkridge and across the River Penk. Headed South through Congreve and across the A5 to Brewood, a pretty small town with some lovely old buildings, which has the misfortune to find itself surrounded by the A5, M54, M6 and the Shropshire Union Canal Main Line (that's what it's called on the map)

H
    I lived in Cannock until I was 9 years so I knew the Chase and I am rather sad that I have never been back. I once planned to do the "fell race" on the Chase but decided at the last minute that I had spent too much of my life on motorways and ran something more local; but now in my declining years..?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Parked at Rifle Range corner (now disused) on Cannock Chase and rode downhill into Penkridge and across the River Penk. Headed South through Congreve and across the A5 to Brewood, a pretty small town with some lovely old buildings, which has the misfortune to find itself surrounded by the A5, M54, M6 and the Shropshire Union Canal Main Line (that's what it's called on the map)

Headed West to Bishop's Wood before turning North and on to Wheaton Aston, twinned with Wheaton, Illinois. Went wrong here, (there weren't any road signs), and crossed Shropshire Union Canal Main Line, which wasn't in the plan. Still, I got another look at the very wide canal - a much more impressive piece of engineering than the Coventry Canal I'm disappointed to say.

After escaping Wheaton Aston I headed North through Marston and then on towards the oddly name tiny village of High Onn. The road was down to 2m wide at this stage, but it was straight and the surface was good until I reached High Onn. When I reached the small collection of farms that make up the village I was no longer sure if I was on the road or in the farmyard as the road surface was virtually non-existent. It didn't get much better on the road to Church Eaton either, and I had a mile of bouncing through the potholes and gravel - sometimes sideways.

After leaving Church Eaton I met the Wolverhampton bus on a road that didn't seem wide enough for it. Fortunately the driver had the right idea, and stuck it in the hedgerow to leave me just under a metre of space to pass on. No more incidents on the road to Bradley, where I picked up the Penkridge road back

The temperature started off at 18C, with a stiff and quite cold wind from the South West, but rose to 22C by the end. Thick cloud for almost the entire ride, and the occasional spot of rain. 56km with 530m of ascent
    Well I grew up in Church Eaton and went to school there until I was about 8. Typical village school with 3 years in one class. Highlight of the week was the fish and chip van that parked on the pub car park. Moved to Warwickshire then but it is a lovely part of the world and one I should visit on a bike one day. A bit far for a ride from home but maybe park outside Wolverhampton and explore north would be the way. I don't remember much in the way of hills out there - reasonably flat and quiet roads I suspect?

First ride on new bike, put peddles on and checked it over (well a mate did all the work to be entirely honest). Clipped in my new clogs and wobbled off down the road, a nervous 16k and 250m and didn't fall over 👍.

Great to ride several kph faster than before simply by spending money, never worked like that for fell running, had to b****y train 🙁.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Although I'm not a great fan of Greg Lemond, and Graham will probably have something more scathing to say about him, he did win 2 of his 3 Tour de France victories legitimately, and his technical knowledge/understanding is good.

I'm not scathing about Lemond. He was a whiner but he brought decent money into the sport and kit innovations and helped bring down Armstrong - so that counts for a lot.

And he won a couple of Tours fair and square - so only one less than the gifted Laurent Fignon.

Today I planned a meandering country-road ride to take in those 20% climbs near Cononley and Lothersdale and the interesting little challenge up to Pinhaw (388 meters) via a route I have never followed before.

And naturally I ride with a super-duper "cycling" Garmin. So imagine my dismay when, shortly after setting off, my Garmin decided to punish me for neglecting her recently (running with my "running" Garmin) by switching off and pretending that her battery was flat. As if.

But what to do? If it aint on Strava then the ride never happened and so I obviously I had to urgently consider all my options; but eventually carried on without reference to time of day, speed or any data at all - and found it all oddly invigorating.

Obviously riding with such an unencumbered free spirit I climbed like Pantani and descended like Nibali - but, alas, the world will never see the proof.

From OS maps I know my mileage was in the mid 30s but I don't know the total climb - I guess 10,000 feet? - so I will have to repeat the exact ride all over again.

After all, if it aint on Strava,...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-06-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Well my ride ended up on Strava. Unfortunately the download of my route gpx to my computer failed so had a ride not quite as intended and got lost a few times but at least I saw some areas of note for future rides. After going over the Clent hills, I strayed out if Worcestershire and into neighbouring Warwickshire. Tardebigge, Alvechurch and then on to the Wast hills before returning home via the Lickeys. 77km/1200m on a scorching afternoon.
    Still not running so bike is getting a fair bit of action!

As an aside, does anyone on here use Look Keo cleats/pedals? Have a sore Achilles and I think some more float would be helpful. I think look go up to 9% whereas my SPDs are only 5%

Thanks for that Marco, will have a read. I need a few rides and get it set up properly this next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Today I planned a meandering country-road ride...
    And this time I had charged my Garmin so 34 miles, 2850 feet of climb, max pulse 141, average pulse 103,maximum speed 44 mph descending from Pinhaw.

Oh isn't data comforting?

As I was bouncing down the tarmac from Pinhaw into Carleton-in-Craven I could see a huge SUV waiting to turn right across my path. First I hoped the driver had seen me, secondly I hoped that he wasn't in a hurry and finally I hoped that his mental arithmetic was up to concluding that if he set off to complete the turn then for every second he would be crossing my path I would have travelled 20 yards towards the side of his large, hard barrier of steel and glass.

His sound judgement was rewarded by my friendly (and relieved) wave.

During the Eurosport coverage of the Tour de Suisse Magnus Backstedt, in response to a question from Rob Hatch (commentator), suggested that for that day's downhill time trial he would have fitted a 60 or a 65 big ring, "yeah, probably a 65". Which is certainly "big" as rings go.

He was later asked what was the fastest speed he had ever descended and he said on a 5K straight downhill road he thought he had touched 128km/hr* during which time he had given thought to the thin width of rubber that was holding him upright and the thin piece of polystyrene that would be all that was protecting his head from contact with the road should the aforementioned sliver of rubber let him down.

Thinking on a bike is good!

(* or as close to 80mph as makes no difference).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 16-06-2021 at 07:12 AM.

I am trying to imagine driving a car down a hill at 60mph and having a kamikaze rider on a pushbike pass you with ease. Obviously in a country without speed limits.

I do recall being in Snowdonia at the same time as some cycle event.

Driving from Pen-y-Pass back to Capel Curig, struggling to keep up with the cyclists on the gentle downhill section after Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel... though that was possibly 50mph, certainly not 80...!