Page 701 of 846 FirstFirst ... 201601651691699700701702703711751801 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,010 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Today's ride was via Wymeswold, Six Hills and Thrussington. As on Friday's ride, I went past a "Road closed" sign. On Friday, the sign was on Whitcroft's Lane, Copt Oak, and all I encountered was a few road maintenance men clearing up at the end of their job. Today the sign was in Sileby, at the start of the road across the river Soar's flood plain to Mountsorrel. It's a flood plain: the clue is in the name. Anyway, I got through to Mountsorrel, but with rather wet feet.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Back on the Arkose today, still shod with knobblies, for a ride out via Monyash and Longnor to the Staffordshire Moorlands and todays beautifully located TP at Revidge, up on Reaps Moor. From there down to Hulme End and Beresford Dale before back up to Biggin and home via Monyash and Horse Lane.

A total of 36 miles and 3,370 feet in 2hrs 57 mins. Rather slow overall mainly because 5 miles were off road and 1 of them was spent pushing or shouldering the bike due to a combination of either gradient, boggy ground or water!

A very windy day and it looked and felt like it could rain at any moment but it didn't

Whilst riding into Longnor I saw a LHD British Cycling liveried Skoda approaching from the opposite direction followed a few hundred yards later by 4 cyclists clad completely in black. With snoods over their faces and shades I could not even tell if they were boys or girls.
    Obviously elite athletes on one of the BC programmes. I thought that they seemed a bit over wrapped up as it wasn't that cold.

I wondered if the BC car was on an essential journey but then realised that the cyclists would probably get lost without it, not have a nice warm drink available and no spare wheel if they got a puncture!
    I hope they appreciate how fortunate they are, especially in these uncertain times.

Lucky Buggers!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Marco;671280]
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

For those of you who are interested I have attached a link to the OS map of 1960 from the excellent National Library of Scotland. For those of you who have no interest in railways, you can see how flat it is!

https://maps.nls.uk/view/91576790
    Thank you.

I like old maps from which railways have disappeared. I like being out in the country and seeing bridge abutments or lines of trees across the landscape which make no sense until you realise they show the line of an old track bed, or abandoned embankments. Ilkley is now a terminus but the line used to go on to Skipton (and Carlisle and Scotland) and there was an embankment and several bridges cutting Ilkley in half and although they have been removed their heritage determines how Ilkley has developed over the last 60 years.

Naturally I have Trackatlas which shows every metre of track in the UK and Railway Atlas Then And Now comparing the the January 1923 and 2012 track systems and like everyone else the 1904 Railway Clearing House Atlas and of course the network map of December 1947 prior to nationalisation and modern maps of...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-01-2021 at 10:33 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Back on the Scott Solace road bike today for the first time this year and Oh, how much easier does it roll on the tarmac compared to the Arkose.

A northerly loop today to Bakewell, Baslow and then up to todays TP at Grange Hill situate the roadside giving views over Chesterfield and its crooked spire.

Along the moors to Curbar Gap, no cars or coffee wagon, and down to Froggatt before up to Eyam along the now permanently closed road, due to landslip, to all but cyclists, walkers or horse riders. Over to Foolow, Great Hucklow, Tideswell and down into Millers Dale before up my least liked climb to Taddington. A final, mainly downhill, six miles home.

A total of 37 miles, 3,648 feet in 2hrs 38 mins. A very windy and cold day on what seemed busy roads, but then I was nearer Chesterfield and Sheffield than usual, and around 20 other cyclists seen.

I saw a cyclist today, my mate Neil went past on his road bike - good to see because he had covid in December. Though 10 minutes later his wife came by on her bike and stopped for a chat - much muttering about if he overdoes things he won't be getting any sympathy from her as everyone has warned him to take it easy.
    Where have I heard that lecture before?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm glad you liked the link, Graham. I don't know why, but the National Library of Scotland has an excellent collection of English maps, so if you want to see how your town/city/village looked x number of years ago it's a great place to look.

You can go back a long time too. I saw some maps of my area where the railways were labelled LNWR (Graham will know what that stands for), so we're talking pre-1923. The website isn't the easiest one to grapple with, but if you give it some time you will find what you want.
    It is a brilliant website, particularly the side by side views.

The London and North Western Railway (LNWR) was allegedly in the late 19th century the largest joint stock company in the world (although some references merely say UK).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-01-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I saw a cyclist today, my mate Neil went past on his road bike - good to see because he had covid in December. Though 10 minutes later his wife came by on her bike and stopped for a chat - much muttering about if he overdoes things he won't be getting any sympathy from her as everyone has warned him to take it easy.
    Where have I heard that lecture before?
    I thought you were going to say she had given him 30 mins start and was chasing him down!

Back on the Arkose for todays bike ride was a bit of a splash and dash affair on B, C and unclassified roads many of which had either standing or running water and lots of gravel that had been washed out of overflowing streams and culverts.

Down into Youlgreave, up to Middleton and then Elton before a short ride across a field to todays TP on Elton Common. Back to Elton and on to Alport via Robin Hoods Stride. A final loop around Bakewell and Sheldon and then home.

Only 22 miles and 2,530 feet in 1hr 50mins. Very, very windy but dry when I set off with just a HH lifa base layer and a Spring/Autumn weight Stolen Goat cycling jersey. I had my waterproof folded inside the front of my jersey as a wind stopper, but when the rain came did not put it on as the warm(ish) rain was nice and refreshing. If I had been going further I would have donned it as I was getting a little chilly on the downhill run home.

No other cyclists seen but a few walkers, most with dogs.

Thirty four miles (1000 feet), much of which seemed to be over roads streaming with water. Although after Otley-Pool-Arthington I climbed up through Weardly to Eccup hamlet and along the dam wall of Eccup reservoir, which is the main supply to Leeds. I saw only 6 cyclists all day and we all gave each other resigned/supportive waves or smiles - the forecast was for heavy rain and it was. I tried on my new dhb overshoes and was glad I did. Not so much for keeping my feet dry but they felt less cold.

Arthington is a pretty small place - just a few houses by the Pool-Harewood Road - but it has a Coptic Orthodox Church (St Mary and St Abanaoub). There aren't many Coptic churches and this one is the "Leeds" church although it is about 9 miles from Leeds centre.

I only really started riding my ADV bike last June as a "winter" bike to protect the Italian bike and I have now done over 1100 miles on it. Either I am a bit protective or we get a lot of winter round our way.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-01-2021 at 10:50 AM.

A combination of tired legs, bitterly cold headwind and hills made for a sluggish Arkose bike ride on what otherwise was a glorious day!

Out to Monyash, Longnor and then the long drag up to todays TP at Hollinsclough Moor. Beautiful views over to Chrome Hill and on the virgin snow around the TP some perfect fox prints. Onwards and upwards to Flash stores and then over Axe Edge, where I saw a Raven and some Crows squabbling noisily over an old sheep carcass, to the A54 and down into Buxton.
    Up through Harpur Hill and on to Brierlow Bar, Chelmorton and home.

A total of 30 miles, 3,291 feet in 2hrs 29 min.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 22-01-2021 at 10:14 PM.