Page 759 of 772 FirstFirst ... 259659709749757758759760761769 ... LastLast
Results 7,581 to 7,590 of 7719

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Harrogate has never got over hosting the finish of the TdF stage which Cavendish was supposed to win - but crashed instead. Ah well, pride goes before a fall.

The Tourist Office website states that money can't buy happiness but it can buy a bike and that's nearly as good. Of the local "killer climbs" the only one I hadn't done was Peat Lane (from Brewerley, near Pately Bridge) - until today. This is a sort of country lane bypass to the infamous 2 miles long Greenhow Hill, now resplendent with North Yorkshire's standard warning to cyclists Danger Long Steep Hill etc.

My son had said that climbing Peat Lane was horrible and it is. Harrogate Council warns that "descending Peat Lane should be done with EXTREME CAUTION, the road is steep with a degraded road surface, loose chippings, limited visibility and tight corners".

This is true but, of course, applies to ascending as well with a delighful 25% kicker near the start to get you in the right frame of mind. Today I used my ADVenture bike because the tyres are 35mm rather than the 25mm on the Italian Job but even this didn't stop the back wheel spinning as it lost grip on the loose gravel 25% section near False Tooth Bridge.

Anyway 40 miles, 3900 feet, max speed 40 mph, max pulse 149 bpm and "never again".

Sons do know best.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-05-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I was at that Harrogate stage. My one and only dalliance with elite cycling.

As everyone will know on 1st August is the Tom Pidcock Gran Fondo (from Ilkley - natch) of up to 180km of the finest climbs in t' Yorkshire Dales (Halton Gill, Kidstones Pass, you know them) so today I initially thought I would revisit past joys - but with a forecast of rain I then pondered if I really wanted to be chugging up a stream of gravel in the middle of nowhere on a cold, wet, miserable Sunday in May.

So instead I pootled round the reservoirs of the Washburn Valley willing it to rain so I could feel justifed with my aforementioned decisiveness.

Naturally the sun then came out and the weather was fine for an hour or so but just before I became really grumpy it finally poured down, thus allowing me to feel exonerated and, of course, turn for home - after all riding in the rain isn't that much fun even when you have a smug feeling inside.

So 23 miles + 2000 feet and a warm self-satisfied feeling.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 16-05-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Not so much a bike ride, more an afternoon out accompanied by a bike.

Headed westward, with a brief stop at Oaks-in-Charnwood where my wife was playing a tennis match; brief, because the home club didn't want any spectators.

Carried on, and couldn't resist wandering into Cademan Wood. In 1993/94 I spent hundreds of hours here and in the neighbouring Grace Dieu Wood and High Sharpley, surveying for an orienteering map. Since then, it has become a magnet for mountain-bikers, so I felt rather out-of-place on my touring bike with 32mm tyres. Anyway, I can't go through Cademan Wood without visiting the summit of High Cademan; and that has to be done by a scramble through the crags on the west side. I've noticed the cave with the hole in its top before, but never previously tried going up that way. The scramble up was fairly easy, but twisting across to get up through that hole seemed too risky, so I retreated; I didn't want the embarrassment of having to call for help if I got stuck.

Continued on my bike ride, exploring some of the back streets of Coalville on my convoluted route to Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Had a mooch round the St. Helen's churchyard (the church building was locked). Also stopped to look around St. Mary's churchyard at Coleorton; it would appear that this is the only place from where the public can see Coleorton Hall and its grounds ["Private Property, 24-hour surveillance", according to the sign at the start of the driveway].

Got thoroughly soaked by a heavy shower in the last half-hour before reaching home.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    As everyone will know on 1st August is the Tom Pidcock Gran Fondo (from Ilkley - natch) of up to 180km of the finest climbs in t' Yorkshire Dales (Halton Gill, Kidstones Pass, you know them) so today I initially thought I would revisit past joys - but with a forecast of rain I then pondered if I really wanted to be chugging up a stream of gravel in the middle of nowhere on a cold, wet, miserable Sunday in May.

So instead I pootled round the reservoirs of the Washburn Valley willing it to rain so I could feel justifed with my aforementioned decisiveness.

Naturally the sun then came out and the weather was fine for an hour or so but just before I became really grumpy it finally poured down, thus allowing me to feel exonerated and, of course, turn for home - after all riding in the rain isn't that much fun even when you have a smug feeling inside.

So 23 miles + 2000 feet and a warm self-satisfied feeling.
    We were out on the bikes yesterday afternoon Graham and we didn't have any rain. 27 miles and 2,700 feet from Horton, looping out and back to Malham, with of course a mandatory cake and coffee stop at Townend Farm Shop in Airton. To be fair the clouds were really dark over Skipton way, viewed from Malham, and later in the day Settle kopped a deluge, with localised flooding and all sorts.

A couple of 'fine' (sic) climbs for us too - first off out of Stainforth up Goat Lane and then, straight after that, the Henside Road down and up!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Not so much a bike ride, more an afternoon out accompanied by a bike.

Headed westward, with a brief stop at Oaks-in-Charnwood where my wife was playing a tennis match; brief, because the home club didn't want any spectators.

Carried on, and couldn't resist wandering into Cademan Wood. In 1993/94 I spent hundreds of hours here and in the neighbouring Grace Dieu Wood and High Sharpley, surveying for an orienteering map. Since then, it has become a magnet for mountain-bikers, so I felt rather out-of-place on my touring bike with 32mm tyres. Anyway, I can't go through Cademan Wood without visiting the summit of High Cademan; and that has to be done by a scramble through the crags on the west side. I've noticed the cave with the hole in its top before, but never previously tried going up that way. The scramble up was fairly easy, but twisting across to get up through that hole seemed too risky, so I retreated; I didn't want the embarrassment of having to call for help if I got stuck.

Continued on my bike ride, exploring some of the back streets of Coalville on my convoluted route to Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Had a mooch round the St. Helen's churchyard (the church building was locked). Also stopped to look around St. Mary's churchyard at Coleorton; it would appear that this is the only place from where the public can see Coleorton Hall and its grounds ["Private Property, 24-hour surveillance", according to the sign at the start of the driveway].

Got thoroughly soaked by a heavy shower in the last half-hour before reaching home.

"Back streets of Coalville..."

Used to go to a club in Coalville on the main drag called The Emporium. It was quite well-regarded throughout the country as a "proper club"

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    "Back streets of Coalville..."

Used to go to a club in Coalville on the main drag called The Emporium. It was quite well-regarded throughout the country as a "proper club"
    A Gentleman's Club Travs?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    ...and later in the day Settle kopped a deluge, with localised flooding and all sorts.

But...but...haven't we long-suffering tax payers paid for a thousand tons of concrete to provide two dams to ensure the good burghers of Skipton stay snug and safe during showers?
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 17-05-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    But...but...haven't we long-suffering tax payers paid for a thousand tons of concrete to provide two dams to ensure the good burghers of Skipton stay snug and safe during showers?
    It wasn’t the river just sheer weight of deluge I think

Rest day for me today but for those who might have missd the Giro:

God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.