Page 772 of 846 FirstFirst ... 272672722762770771772773774782822 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,720 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I used my e-bike on sunday in very unpleasant conditions.

My second bike ride of the year was a mix of tarmac, trail and bridleway on the Arkose. From home to Youlgreave and up to Friden where I joined the High Peak Trail and followed it to Minninglow. Down the bridleway known as Minninglow Lane and onto Cardlemere Lane before a left turn took me to the plush holiday cottages at Uppermoor Farm.

Down to the A515 and across it onto the Tissington Trail and then all the way to Parsley Hay where I re-joined the HPT and followed it to its end at Dowlow. Back onto tarmac and then home via Chelmorton and Flagg.

A cold, breezy and bright day and I needed all of the 3 layers I was wearing. Only a few walkers and cyclists about but no runners seen. An enjoyable afternoon of 30 miles, 2,028 feet in 2hrs 27mins.

I also heeded my New Years resolution for 2022 which is to unclip from my pedal/pedals when opening and closing gates on bridleways and trails. I have had so many close shaves and made myself look a prat whilst doing it clipped in, that I have decided I am too old for such shenanigans.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 12-01-2022 at 11:26 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

I also heeded my New Years resolution for 2022 which is to unclip from my pedal/pedals when opening and closing gates on bridleways and trails. I have had so many close shaves and made myself look a prat whilst doing it clipped in, that I have decided I am too old for such shenanigans.
    The old stone pack-horse bridge in Ilkley (1675) is blocked off to vehicles with parallel barriers on both sides which sometimes you can cycle through slowly without unclipping - but only I find when no-one is watching!

Fourth ride of 2022 today. The promise of no rain meant she in celeste was allowed out and I found some hills: 26 miles and 2500 feet. Along the Wharfe, Bolton Abbey, Bardon Moor, Skipton, Bradley - the best day out of the year so far. The sun came out at one point - Spring must be on its way.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-01-2022 at 12:45 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I am prepared to admit that sometimes, sometimes, riding in January, head winds, rain,...is not a lot of fun but today I cycled to Skipton (30 miles and 2900 feet) via a variety of grass-up-the-middle roads that only exist to connect farms. What joy! No traffic! Well except for the occasional quad bike.

Could life get any better you may wonder?

Well yes because whom should I meet in the berserk, bedlam of Bradley but...Mrs & Mrs FRA Forum (+ black labrador), aka Mrs & Mrs Bedlamite, aka Mr & Mrs Race Organisers par excellence.

Fortunately I was on the Bianchi so was a vision of loveliness, and thinking of that; it occurred to me that in over 6000 miles I have never had a mechanical (ah! that's Campagnolo for you) and only one puncture (when I just walked to the railway station and went home by train) so why do I carry "stuff" with me "just in case..."

Just in case of what exactly?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

Fortunately I was on the Bianchi so was a vision of loveliness, and thinking of that; it occurred to me that in over 6000 miles I have never had a mechanical (ah! that's Campagnolo for you) and only one puncture (when I just walked to the railway station and went home by train) so why do I carry "stuff" with me "just in case..."

Just in case the one puncture happens at Greenhow Hill, from where it's a rather long walk to the nearest railway station.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Just in case the one puncture happens at Greenhow Hill, from where it's a rather long walk to the nearest railway station.
    Ah well I do carry a purple flag of the Loughborough University Shield and a handful of £50 notes to flaunt, one of which is bound to get me a lift home.

In a previous life I had multiple double wheel punctures in the pouring rain and was walking home along the Skipton bypass (around 10 miles from home) and a member of the FRA Committee drove past and thought:

"Poor ******. Should I stop and help?

Naah!"

It has never been clear if his failure to stop was because he didn't recognise me - or he did.

It has never been clear if his failure to stop was because he didn't recognise me - or he did.
    Brilliant
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Mrs Bedlamite asked me a while after, "How did you know it was Graham?"

I replied that it wasn't the old goretex jacket or the weird riding style but the Celeste....

I'm a cyclist through and through...

Lovely to have a chat!

I am prepared to admit that sometimes, sometimes, riding in January, head winds, rain,...is not a lot of fun but today I cycled to Skipton (30 miles and 2900 feet) via a variety of grass-up-the-middle roads that only exist to connect farms. What joy! No traffic! Well except for the occasional quad bike.

Could life get any better you may wonder?

Well yes because whom should I meet in the berserk, bedlam of Bradley but...Mrs & Mrs FRA Forum (+ black labrador), aka Mrs & Mrs Bedlamite, aka Mr & Mrs Race Organisers par excellence.

A glorious day for a bike ride so took the Scott Solace (mudguardless) out for a spin. I had expected the roads to be drier than they were but most were wet with a combination of salt, drawing the moisture, and cowshit/slurry left by farmers who don't give a shit!

Up to Chelmorton,Flagg and on to Parsley Hay. Down Long Dale and up to Heathcote and Biggin before a stretch of the 515 to Newhaven across to Monyash and home via Magpie Mine.

A total of 33 miles and 2,631 feet in 2hrs 23 min.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Mrs Bedlamite asked me a while after, "How did you know it was Graham?"

I replied that it wasn't the old goretex jacket or the weird riding style but the Celeste....
    CW this week has a bike review, by an ancient member of staff (ie approaching 50) of the Officine Mattio Lemma 2.0 (7.3kg).

OM is a new obscure Italian brand and the bike is mostly plain carbon with a couple of red flashes. It's £10,200 (and that's without the most expensive fittings in the world) and the reviewer feels a bit short changed saying "let's face it, bikes like this are partly about being seen."

Partly about being seen!!!

I hope that idea doesn't get around.