Nearly turned around and went home after 5 miles today as I was freezing. I had under estimated the wind chill by at least one layer. I have not felt such a cold southerly wind since I was in Tasmania!

Anyway, I stuck with it and the sun came out taking the edge off. My usual out ride to Earl Sterndale and then down to Crowdicote before steeply up to Longnor. A glorious ride along the ridge that separates the Dove and Manifold valleys to Sheen and then on to Brund. For change I headed out to Wetton before dropping steeply into the Manifold past Thor's Cave and then up the other side to Wardslow.

I called into Hulme End where a Latte and slice of treacle tart gave me some energy to enjoy the return leg home via Hartington, up Long Dale with a tailwind, Earl Sterndale (again), Flagg and Monyash.

A total distance of 45 miles with 4'255 feet of ascent in 3hrs 15 min. Apart from the Manifold Trail at Hulme End I only saw 2 other cyclists.

I sometimes think I should vary my rides and set off in an Easterly direction but the roads are busier that way and I do love the remoteness and big skies of the White Peak and the Staffordshire Moorlands.
It also means that the last few miles of my rides are mostly downhill