Page 796 of 847 FirstFirst ... 296696746786794795796797798806846 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,960 of 8461

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Still, the "local stone" would be handy for the hundreds of new homes being built in Silsden down at the bottom of the hill.
    If only things worked that well. I'm guessing the stone will go to a depot somewhere and be too expensive to be used by the housebuilders, who'll instead use stone imported from abroad!

And apparently the affordable homes presumably required to obtain planning permission aren't progressing so well.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Other than dog walking and lawn mowing I have done nothing for two weeks due to very sore/tender hamstrings.

So yesterday back on the bike for what was going to be a short tester. Out to Chelmorton and across the A515 at Brierlow Bar. On the road to Harpur Hill there are numerous housing developments going on, collectively known as the Buxton Eastern Growth Area. Over 700 houses are to be built with 30% being classed as "affordable".
    In this case affordable means that houses will be available at 80% of the market rate. Bearing in mind that the prices start around £260,000 the affordable houses, by my reckoning will be something like £208,000!
    Already the A515 has been flooded on numerous occasions by water runoff from the new estate roads during heavy rainfall.
    Anyway there was no rainfall for me as I continued up Axe Edge to Flash stores where a nice latte was consumed. Along to Royal Cottage where I noticed that the roadside pub there, unsurprisingly called The Royal Cottage, which I have never been in, is open only for 3 hrs every Friday and Saturday. Left at The Winking Man and along Blakemere Road to The Mermaid and then across the Morridge Ridge to Bottomhouse. Down into Onecote and up and over Butterton Moor to Wardslow. Then on to Hulme End, Hartington, Hurdlow and home.

A lovely ride out of 45 miles, 3,800 feet in 2hrs 58 mins. Grey and cool to start and the sun came out just as I got home. Nothing of note to report other than I needed my wits about me during the school run around Buxton, 0830-0900, where the tunnel visioned yummy mummy's were out at full pelt. It'll be worse when those 700 new houses are occupied, that's if they can find a school to go to.

Further than planned, hamstrings seem fine but arse a bit sore!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 21-05-2022 at 06:32 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Late afternoon I assumed that many people would be watching football or motor racing on TV so out I went on my bike. It was very cool and breezy with some menacing black clouds but as expected the roads were quite. Out to Chelmorton and up to the Bull i Thorn. Down to Flagg, Monyash before back up to Parsley Hay. Down to Youlgreave and home via Conksbury. The wind had dropped so much when I got home that a Red Virgin Hot Air Balloon was airborne.

22 miles and 1,978 feet in 1hr 23min.

My rides in and out of work are starting to frustrate me. I'm having a string of very close shaves with the sub-1h cumulative time; recently 1,00,14...1,00,08...it's quite enraging. I'm trying to keep the effort levels around the same area, zone 2/3. I've learnt which red lights i need to run on the morning leg in order to get green changes on others, which helps, but unfavourable wind conditions are plaguing me at the moment. I can do it in 0,58,xx if it's still on the morning with a tail wind up Kirkstall road, it will be an achievement if i can do it in sub-1h come what may.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've learnt which red lights i need to run
    Ah. So you're the one that gives us cyclists a bad name Mr B.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Ah. So you're the one that gives us cyclists a bad name Mr B.
    I'm uncle knobhead on his way to work
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    From Mercian Cycles in Derby, to my home in Loughborough, on my newly renovated Hetchins tourer.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    From Mercian Cycles in Derby, to my home in Loughborough, on my newly renovated Hetchins tourer.
    I've always wanted a Klein quantum.

A lovely evening ride up through the Hafren Forest to Staylittle and then up past Dylife to the road summit where the track to Glaslyn starts and a beautiful view of Cadair Idris is to be had to the north and of Plynlimon to the south. A quick banana and then a faster return, the same way, back to Llani.

32 miles and 3,058 feet in 2hrs 12 minutes.