Page 682 of 694 FirstFirst ... 182582632672680681682683684692 ... LastLast
Results 6,811 to 6,820 of 6940

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    They say round these parts that there is nothing to the east of Pinhaw (388 metres) until you meet the Urals and whilst the sceptic might ponder “‘appen so”, the refreshing winds, as today, coming from the West Siberian Plain can be very persuasive.
    "They say . . .". Who says? "They" obviously haven't been looking at their maps very carefully. Almost exactly due East of Pinhaw is Thimble Stones (402 metres) on Ilkley Moor. Oh, sorry, Ilkley is in Siberia.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Pinhaw lies just off the Carleton in Craven (near Skipton) to Colne Road and in both directions provides long steady climbs (the road totalling 9 miles).
    Yes, but more challenging climbs if you go up from Cononley . . .
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    "They say . . .". Who says? "They" obviously haven't been looking at their maps very carefully. Almost exactly due East of Pinhaw is Thimble Stones (402 metres) on Ilkley Moor. Oh, sorry, Ilkley is in Siberia.

Yes, but more challenging climbs if you go up from Cononley . . .
    I am starting to think you are from these parts Anthony...all this local knowledge.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

A late start this morning but it felt cold at 11 when I set off which caused me to make the schoolboy error of too many layers.
    A very breezy 32 miles and 2'887feet in 2hrs 8min. Down to Conksbury and up to Friden via Youlgreave. A few miles along the 515 before a nice tailwind back to Biggin, Heathcote and up Long Dale to Earl Sterndale where a right took me to Hurdlow Town and then back on the 515 where I stopped at the newly refurbished Bull i' Thorn for a Latte.
    A warm 10 miles home via Flagg and Monyash where I managed to unknowingly bag a KOM.

A lot of walkers about and a few groups of cyclists, two of which were wearing club jerseys from area's that are under level 3 Covid restrictions!
    I also visited Bakewell today, which is sill in level 1, and it was full of people with Sheffield and Manchester accents. Obviously the "advice" not to travel is not being taken by some.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Wasn't there some one on here recently who bemoaned the lack of good british cyclists. I give you Teo and another Brit in the top ten of the Giro!

53km 1200m
    From Pinneberg to Blankenese, 20 hill reps on the biggest hill there (the biggest in the area, but at 66m still very small), and back.
    Training for the summer events, the legendary Charly Gaul on Bondone, and the Maratona dles Dolomites. The latter has a long course 138km 4000m, I'm afraid I'll have to settle x the short one of 106km 3000m. But Dolomites is still the most beautiful place I know. It's Italy so even better.

Flat South Staffs, close to Cannock Chase
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A lot of walkers about and a few groups of cyclists, two of which were wearing club jerseys from area's that are under level 3 Covid restrictions!
    It's not a requirement to live in the town/city of your club; I spent two years riding for a Derbyshire club whilst living in Staffordshire

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    53km 1200m
    From Pinneberg to Blankenese, 20 hill reps on the biggest hill there (the biggest in the area, but at 66m still very small), and back.
    Training for the summer events, the legendary Charly Gaul on Bondone, and the Maratona dles Dolomites. The latter has a long course 138km 4000m, I'm afraid I'll have to settle x the short one of 106km 3000m. But Dolomites is still the most beautiful place I know. It's Italy so even better.

Some of us have to ride 53km to find a climb that is 66m! Have you understated your climbing? 20 x 66m is more than 1200m

You're spot on about the Dolomiti, however

Strava is telling me this hill is 66m, I did it 20 times, plus getting there and back (this is fairly flat), and the total comes at 1190m.
    Yes, weird....

After my calf injury from trying to run yesterday, had a go on the bike to see if I could ride. Walking to the shed a wasp stung me on the ankle (bad leg obviously), plonked some cream on it and went for short ride, but uphill. 8.8 miles and 1540ft was enough for today, calf ok for biking but wasp sting sore!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    53km 1200m
    Training for the summer events, the legendary Charly Gaul on Bondone, and the Maratona dles Dolomites.
    I had a look at Pinneberg and Blankenese on the map and it's very flat; you are clearly living in the wrong place too! I bet your small chainring doesn't get much wear, and you might want to check that your front derailleur still works before you do the Maratona dles Dolomites!