Page 674 of 846 FirstFirst ... 174574624664672673674675676684724774 ... LastLast
Results 6,731 to 6,740 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;667009]
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Past our old house in Tylwch then, nice ride.

Were you living there around the time when those 3 Brummies got tied to a tree outside The Sun Inn in St Harmon?
    I remember the Australian/NZ bloke, that was doused with petrol or something outside The Sun? Or was he tied to a tree as well? Yes, but can't remember which for sure, perhaps there were 2 incidents - there from 1986 for 25 years.
    Had some good nights in the Sun early days when we were there (without mishap), like the Wild West the local womens darts team were enough to scare the daylights out of me!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

No, I'm muddling with the Mid Wales inn at Pantydwr, think that was the petrol incident and where we mainly drank. Sun was good pub but didn't it close down, bloke kept his birds (raptors) in there? Lovely old pub inside though - so long as you weren't a brummie

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    No, I'm muddling with the Mid Wales inn at Pantydwr, think that was the petrol incident and where we mainly drank. Sun was good pub but didn't it close down, bloke kept his birds (raptors) in there? Lovely old pub inside though - so long as you weren't a brummie
    Yes it did close down. Its a private house now
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    but I never hammered a bike with a rock.
    My brother-in-law every now and again seems to find it amusing to bring up the memory of his watching me, when I was about 14 or 15, mend my bike by hammering at it with an axe. Typically, he doesn't explain the full details - it was the flat end of the axe I was using. (Although, actually, there was very little difference between the sharp and flat ends of that axe.) I was using it to remove a cotter pin and I still maintain that, given the dearth of tools available to me, it was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Unfortunately, on that occasion, it didn't work.

[QUOTE=Flem;667015]My brother-in-law every now and again seems to find it amusing to bring up the memory of his watching me, when I was about 14 or 15, mend my bike by hammering at it with an axe. Typically, he doesn't explain the full details - it was the flat end of the axe I was using. (Although, actually, there was very little difference between the sharp and flat ends of that axe.) I was using it to remove a cotter pin and I still maintain that, given the dearth of tools available to me, it was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Unfortunately, on that occasion, it didn't work.[/QUOTD.

Cotter pins? Of not so fond memory!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 23-09-2020 at 08:36 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Cotter pins? Of not so fond memory!
    Are you saying that modern bikes don't have cotter pins anymore? Next you'll be telling me that you don't have to reach half-way down to the pedals to change gear, fiddling with the lever to get the right position. What a pampered lot you modern cyclists sound! (I'll bet none of you have an axe in your bike repair tool kit either.)

About 16 mile and 1700ft on bike, hurried before the rain stopped play. Going fishing tomorrow so long weekend ride in the lovely forecast autumn sunshine won't come about.
    Hope I catch something instead!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Today's was short but very cold - shorts still on but regretted not taking longer gloves. Roubaix jersey required for the first time in a long time. Looks like Autumn is here.

Managed a 21 mile and 1,900 feet ride in 1hr 20min at lunchtime out to Newhaven, Biggin, Parsley Hay, Monyash and home.
    The weather was better than forecast, being dry and sunny, which found me being a little over dressed!

Surprisingly I did not see another cyclist on the road.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

30 miles 4,250 feet from Skirrid inn up to Rhos Dirion then Waun Fach and back down to Llanbedr. 2 of us on eMTBs. I would love to report that we tore around the mountains with giant rooster tails but, sadly, our passage was quiet, deathly slow, soft and our big fat tires barely left an imprint on the rocky paths and trails.
    Saw three other fellow vandals.