Page 735 of 846 FirstFirst ... 235635685725733734735736737745785835 ... LastLast
Results 7,341 to 7,350 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    5 of us rode as a group to Glasson Dock from Dinckley over Harris End. Got a bit lost in the lanes around Beacon Fell but was a good hilly ride out for lunch where we bumped into Lefty of Rossendale Harriers out with his pal. Route back was flatter via St Micheals and Garstang. Was a bit brisk on the return so stopped in Longridge for a well earned pint before tackling Dinckley “mountain” where we were parked. 68 miles 3350 ft of climbing - mainly in the first half. It doesn’t compare to the 94 miles and 5958 foot of climbing that Lefty did having gone over the Trough of Bowland. It has to be said that Lancashire is excellent cycling country
    Nice one AR

Not cycling myself yet but should be up there on the bike in the near future with the other half.

Nice to see Cav get a hat trick in Turkey and fantastic ride by Pidcock to do Van Aert and Trentin to take the De Brabantse Pijl
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I don't usually go on themed cycle rides. However, many years ago I noticed the concentration of villages with names ending in "stone" in the area between Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Market Bosworth, and today I eventually went out for a ride visiting the Ten Stones of West Leicestershire: Thringstone, Ravenstone, Swepstone, Snarestone, Shackerstone, Bilstone, Congerstone, Odstone, Nailstone, Barlestone.

A slightly convoluted route, especially since I didn't want to retrace my route at any point. Also, it left most of the significant hills to the final section, coming home from Barlestone; which was also into the wind (although that wasn't very strong). About 40 miles altogether.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Shackerstone Railway brings back memories as a child...!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's taken me a couple of days to go through the highlights, and yes it was great to see Cav winning again and making it look easy. None of the top sprinters, like Bennett, Démare, Ackerman or Ewan are riding, so we shouldn't get too excited until he starts beating the likes of them, but it's good to see him looking hungry and sprinting like he used to.

Pidcock's ride in the De Brabantse Pijl was really stellar. We've been producing world-class track riders for 20 years, followed by a world-class sprinter (Cav), before moving onto world-class grand tour riders like Froome, Wiggins, Yates&Yates, Thomas and Geoghegan-Hart, but we've never really had a world-class classics rider. Until now. The way he beat van Aert, (who is a really top rider), was something else - and he's only 21
    Let’s be fair, maybe the field isn’t stacked with sprinters but Jesper Phillipson is no slouch having just won the unofficial sprinters championship and he was well beaten on all three occasions. It’s great for his confidence, but with Bennett on the team he’s not going to be first choice for the big races.

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Let’s be fair, maybe the field isn’t stacked with sprinters but Jesper Phillipson is no slouch having just won the unofficial sprinters championship and he was well beaten on all three occasions. It’s great for his confidence, but with Bennett on the team he’s not going to be first choice for the big races.
    I think that's how I see it. The Tour of where?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

There i was today turning a reasonably good gear coming out of Ilkley, when all of a sudden i heard loud music approaching from behind. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a flipping e-biker on an MTB with his tunes blasting out. Don't they understand that it's not supposed to be that enjoyable? It's you versus the elements and your lactic acid; tonking along with Status Quo deafening the world is not in the spirit of a painful athletic endeavour.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    There i was today turning a reasonably good gear coming out of Ilkley, when all of a sudden i heard loud music approaching from behind. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a flipping e-biker on an MTB with his tunes blasting out. Don't they understand that it's not supposed to be that enjoyable? It's you versus the elements and your lactic acid; tonking along with Status Quo deafening the world is not in the spirit of a painful athletic endeavour.
    Your mention of Status Quo...said it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Deafenin' All Over the World wasn't even one of their songs - John Fogerty wrote it

It's very simple though, Mr B, you've just got to ride greater than 15.5mph to stop this sort of thing happening and letting the side down
    I always ride at least that fast past Wheelbase in Ilkley so I am not seduced by their window display.

Bike prices are no longer visible from outside although one can still see that the Pinarello Dogma on display is a round £12,000.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-04-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Had an excellent ride out on the Lapierre around the North Worcestershire lanes and hills, shorts and short sleeved jersey, 55km with just shy of 1000m climbing. First proper road bike ride in a while so the hills were a little bit of a shock after spending the last few months largely off road, pootling about canals on the Croix de fer.
    Nursing a running injury (again!) and need to get back up to doing 100km more frequently so hopefully more of the same to come.

An absolute belter yesterday. Our “loop” of Semerwater but from home. 37.25 miles, more off-road than on, with 4,000 feet of ascent.

We left Horton on the High Birkwith lane, only to be over taken by about ten off road quad bikers and it was especially fun to see them held up a few minutes later by the farmer and his wife patiently explaining that no, the track beyond their farm wasn’t a fricking green lane

From High Birkwith, it was the Pennine Bridleway past Ling Gill and up a rubbly as heck ascent to the Cam High Road. This we followed past Fleet Moss before descending to Semerwater past Crag Hill. Then a fantastic climb up to Stake Moss and a pretty rough and rubbly descent to Cray. A blast down on the road to Buckden and then the lane to Hubberholme, Yockenthwaite and Beckermonds and up through the forest to pick up the Pennine Way briefly before scooting over to High Birkwith again and whizzing back down the lane to home

4.5 hours moving and a 20 minute break at Semerwater, 15 miles in, for a cheese and onion pasty stop
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 18-04-2021 at 08:36 PM.