Page 669 of 846 FirstFirst ... 169569619659667668669670671679719769 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,690 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Did the climb up through the mines this morning as hard as I could, off road forestry track and quite rough in places, impossible to ride with any rythm. 3.75km uphill and 333m. Knackers me anyway!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

For instance who would have thought that the highest Football League ground is The Hawthorns.
    Indeed it is and often cited as the only competition we are likely to win!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Had an enforced week off due to an infection in my ankle caused by an insect bite. Got back into the swing of things with 35km ride out on the 29er mostly off road on the Birmingham and Black Country canal network. Spotted various wildlife along the way including 5 grey herons (though I suppose it could have been the same one 5 times!)
    Leg seems to be OK so looking good for a Pembrokeshire coast path run and maybe a jaunt up in the Prescellis next week.

Did a 23 miles yesterday in the heat, hard graft up the forestry climbs, followed by 18 miles today, much better and rode well.
    Seem to have logged a 90 mile week, best yet and on the gravel bike (with big nobbly 700x43 tyres) I am not the fastest - these road bikers pass me on the tarmac hills like I'm stationary, but average speed and distance keep increasing.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Banned
    10k to bank and then around marina.
    Beautiful.

Cecil Rhodes always regretted not saying that to live in the Yorkshire Dales is to have won first prize in the lottery of life - so I have on his behalf.

The road between Buckden and Hawes is allegedly the highest road in Yorkshire and today it had to be ridden in clag as part of a 33 miles (3000ft) pootle between Buckden - Hawes - Askrigg - Aysgarth and then back through Bishopdale to Buckden. Sleddale, Wesleydale - all very nice but Langstrothdale, where the road follows the Wharfe, is just sublime: I hope I am not too disappointed with the anticlimax when I get to heaven.

I understand that some Oriel College (Oxford) students want to remove the statue of Rhodes from high on their college wall. Nonsense of course but we send our brightest and best to Oxbridge, and don't trouble them with too much work in their 8 week terms, so they will get this sort of silliness out of their systems and then get on with running the country, the City, business - and educating the next generation - as they always have.

I wonder if Rhodes - rode a bike?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 14-08-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Fine report Graham of what sounds like a splendid ride
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Bala to Ruabon, including the ford of the river Alwen just west of Corwen: water deep enough to get my shorts wet, and I waded it 5 times to get bike and luggage across to the other side dry. A bit of extra climbing towards the end, so that I could take the little road below the Eglwyseg limestone crags.

My Welsh sunburn is a bit painful.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Bala to Ruabon, including the ford of the river Alwen just west of Corwen: water deep enough to get my shorts wet, and I waded it 5 times to get bike and luggage across to the other side dry. A bit of extra climbing towards the end, so that I could take the little road below the Eglwyseg limestone crags.

My Welsh sunburn is a bit painful.
    Sorry for my ignorance... but couldn't you have crossed the river at the A5, or the bridge a couple of hundred yards adjacent?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance... but couldn't you have crossed the river at the A5, or the bridge a couple of hundred yards adjacent?
    Yes, of course I could (although as far as I can see from the map, the nearest bridge is at least 1 km away); but where would have been the adventure in that? And the ford was the most direct route.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges