Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
I did velo Birmingham and Midlands yesterday cycled with wife as it was our 29th wedding anniversary!!. Total time 6:50 but we had a couple of 20 minute stops so cycling time for the 102 miles about 6:10 which is not too bad. not done a lot of cycling this year so felt more tiring than The Fred W which was also yesterday and I did a year ago.

I am pretty sure we went past the chap who died. I was totally gutted to hear about this last night as it completely takes the shine off the day. I have done a few closed road events (London and the previous Velo Birmingham. My view is that closed road mass participation events are more dangerous than smaller open road sportives. London was really scary last year. The problem is people forget that other cyclists are also on the roads and many participants are inexperienced and thus cycle badly or without etiquette and due care. several times yesterday the fast trains came past me without a call and without concern about other slower cyclists. there were several occasions where people cut in suddenly infront of me or puller out suddenly. Any of these actions can trigger a chain reaction. I am lucky enough to gain free entry to the big Velo events, but probably wouldn't do them otherwise due to too many cyclists in too smaller space!

PeteS. it was good route yesterday. probably not as good as 2 years ago, but much faster terrain. If it clashes next year I'd certainly choose the Fred whitton over the two.
Totally agree with you on mass participation events and inexperienced cyclists. I've had a few near misses myself over the years. I also think that closed roads tend to make cyclists less risk averse and speeds tend to be higher which I guess may contribute in part to any accidents or at least their outcome. I hit 45mph + on some of the descents in Velothon Wales and dread to think what would have happened if I'd hit the deck at that speed.

I did the Birmingham Velo last time and enjoyed it immensely, Bewdley and the Clent Hills being a highlight. Just couldn't get inspired by the route this time and with a hefty price to enter, I chose some more low key sportive for this year.

The Fred Whitton is on my list to do one year but often clashes with fell races (and I'm not sure I'd manage Hardknott anyway!)