Page 776 of 789 FirstFirst ... 276676726766774775776777778786 ... LastLast
Results 7,751 to 7,760 of 7885

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Such a shame to see a place where I had many happy liaison's closed!

That tarpaulin on the roof is no doubt hiding an expensive repair. Sadly, it will probably end up as a private residence.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    As an aside, does anyone on here use Look Keo cleats/pedals? Have a sore Achilles and I think some more float would be helpful. I think look go up to 9% whereas my SPDs are only 5%

How did this go Pete? Did the soreness go away, or did you end up buying the Look Keo setup or modifying your existing cleats?

I only ask as in a rare moment of lucidness yesterday I realised there was an even easier, and cheaper (ie free), way to gain more float: use a thinner sock, and not tighten your shoes as much. This way you get some float within your shoe, and unless you attack hills using a big gear/high torque style it's not likely to be a problem.

Thanks for the thoughts, Marco.

Turned out a friend has look Keo and although you do get more float, there is also quite a bit of play fore and aft which I'm not sure I'd get on with. I did file down an old pair of SPD-SL cleats and try those but didn't notice much difference other than they were easier to clip in.
    That aside, running has been reduced to a bare minimum of late as I deal with a hip problem and that coupled with some appropriate stretches seems to have at least reduced the Achilles tendonitis to a manageable level. So looks like I'll be sticking with Shimano for now.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts, Marco.

Turned out a friend has look Keo and although you do get more float, there is also quite a bit of play fore and aft which I'm not sure I'd get on with. I did file down an old pair of SPD-SL cleats and try those but didn't notice much difference other than they were easier to clip in.
    That aside, running has been reduced to a bare minimum of late as I deal with a hip problem and that coupled with some appropriate stretches seems to have at least reduced the Achilles tendonitis to a manageable level. So looks like I'll be sticking with Shimano for now.
    I'm pleased to hear that your Achilles tendonitis is now at a manageable level; I had it, on and off, for my entire running career and lost a lot of racing. It wasn't until I started seeing medical people with a lot of letters after their names that I found out that it stemmed from my hip problem leading to different stride lengths, this then led to twisting of my Achilles (whilst under load) to compensate. I would therefore recommend some caution and also that you consider that your hip problem might be a factor.

I found that with some shoes, both running and cycling, the heel tab irritated my Achilles, so I cut them off. It didn't look pretty but offered some help to the problem.

On the plus side, since I was forced to quit running both my Achilles tendons have returned to the normal sleek-looking form that you see in the textbooks, and the marble-sized lumps on the one leg have gone.

26 miles and lots of hills for me today. Jenkins Chapel, into the Goyt Valley, then towards Earl Sterndale before a hard right into Hollinsclough (site of lovely little fell race) then back up to Flash and home.

I was taking it a little easy party because of the heat, but also as Mrs Noel and I did an early morning Shutlingsloe run. So I wasn't sure if my legs would stop working. Thankfully they got me home. Lots of others out today, making the most of the too hot weather.

First sportive in over 2 years for me today. A charity affair to raise funds for St Mary's Hospice in Birmingham, 'Ride the Reservoir' starts and finishes near Bartley Green reservoir in the outskirts of Brum. Started at 8.30 by which time it was already over 20 degrees with clear blue skies and forecast for a scorching ride. It starts with the longest climb of the day up to Romsley and there is some let up for a while through the lanes of Worcestershire before the rollercoaster second half heads into Warwickshire including some steep but thankfully short hills that had many walking. Temperature was knocking on the door of 30 degrees when the final lap of the reservoir came into view. 100k with 1400m ascent in 3.55 (and about the same in litres of water!)

38 miles (2200 feet) with a maximum temp of 86 F but from which I concluded that it was far more comfortable
    than running a mere 5 miles at Alderman's Ascent in similar weather and I could ride with my full-length-zip top flapping in the breeze and I didn't need to pierce my nipples to pin my race number to my chest.

I do like cycling.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I admire the way you have managed to bring a nipple piercing topic into a cycling thread 😎.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I admire the way you have managed to bring a nipple piercing topic into a cycling thread ��.
    I couldn't give a monkeys what people have pierced but I draw the line at waitresses and waiters, and other people serving food or drink for that matter, having those nose or lip piercings.

I have on more than one occasion refused to be served by such people and will continue to do so.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    38 miles (2200 feet) with a maximum temp of 86 F but from which I concluded that it was far more comfortable
    than running a mere 5 miles at Alderman's Ascent in similar weather and I could ride with my full-length-zip top flapping in the breeze and I didn't need to pierce my nipples to pin my race number to my chest.

I do like cycling.
    Cooler day today, only 29 degrees C rather than the low 30s it has been around here. Not that it made any difference to me doing a HIIT session, as I did one on Monday too.

Started off with some squats, with 89kg on the bar, (which is approaching one and a half times my bodyweight). That put the warm into the warm-up. Then rode 2 miles to Huddlesford, on the edge of the Tame Valley where the sprinting began. Ten flat out sprints, from a rolling start on the big chainring and the 15 sprocket, in 8 miles on a route to the Whitemoor Lakes island and back, followed by a 2 mile amble home

Short sleeve top with a very short neck zip (open to the full), ok until I stopped and then I overheated quickly.