Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Now you're talking; I'd probably have made the owner a financial offer if I'd been there.

My older brother had a Bluemels pump with the three coloured bands - they were made of metal. Pumps were plastic when I got my first 'adults' bike, so I was bit surprised to see one 5 years later on the bike of our top junior in the bike club. More surprising, he had two pumps on his bike. When asked about it, he explained that the plastic pump was for pumping up his tyres in the case of punctures, whilst the metal Bluemels one was for fending off aggressive uncontrolled dogs, usually in the vicinity of farms ...

I would question the use of the word 'relic' in association with fixed wheel bikes, as it is still the fastest, most efficient, and most entertaining form of cycling; so just as relevant now as when it was invented. Years, and years, ago I rode fixed wheel (42 x 16) in the Peak District, even up hills with a single arrow on the OS maps, (so allegedly 1 in 6 or 1 in 7). With the right gear ratio it is quicker uphill than a freewheel-equipped bike, and I surprised quite a lot of good cyclists.
I think any offer would have been expected to be in guineas but mea culpa I obviously meant "classic".

Brett rides a F/W - perhaps he is the relic?