Page 734 of 846 FirstFirst ... 234634684724732733734735736744784834 ... LastLast
Results 7,331 to 7,340 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Despite being relatively flat we still managed to clock up 2400 ft of climbing.
    With a Garmin - they all count!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Wheeze will be relieved to hear that his good mate, the infamous R. the R. and mate arrived back here in one piece on their ebikes. Just.
    I think batteries were challenged but a good time had by both in the wilds. First time I have seen one of those bikes up close, scary monsters and way heavier than I expected (these were full on mountain bike varieties).

More adventures being planned in the wilds of mid Wales 😉.

10-ish mile loop with Mrs Noel on the tandem. Including the impending steepness of the road from the Leather's Smithy up to Forest Chapel. 3 minutes slower than going the other way round about a week ago.

Cav won in Turkey
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Cav won in Turkey
    He would have won stage 1 as well if a rider in front hadn't had to unclip, having over cooked the last bend, and causing everyone behind him to ease off for a moment.

It was great to see so many riders congratulating him after his win which shows the esteem he is still held in.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

and again.
    His Day two win showed an incredible turn of speed in the last 150m. He took about 3-4 bikes lengths out of Philipsen.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Finally got around to ordering my new road bike (I don't have a road bike), been trying for near 12 months but with everywhere out of stock and not being able to visit shops for ages I've just taken a punt on a mail order.

A proper one made out of that black plastic stuff, but nothing Italian on it 😃. It's a Sonder from Alpkit and they have knocked £500 off as discontinuing there range of carbon cycles - so I've just grabbed one and hope for the best. Be another 4 weeks+ before delivery I expect, but at least I shall have aanother bike to ride. Whenever mine needs repairs or even new tyres like last week it is off the road for weeks awaiting parts. All a bit of a pain.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Turned right at Doveridge and headed due north on a very undulating road through Roston, and then Norbury where I re-crossed the Dove into Staffordshire and started the climb. Climbed all the way to Wootton, where the steep climbing began on the Weaver Hills.

The Weaver Hills are a small group of hills around 8km due West of Ashbourne. They're not in the Peak District, but would probably make the cut if the park was extended. They are also the closest fell-grade hills to my house. Conveniently the road goes almost over the hills, rising to a high point of 347m above sea-level, giving a total ascent of 255m for the 4 mile climb, with 4 cattle grids in the last mile to maintain your concentration. Returned the same way
    I haven't been through Wootton, but I once rode along the little lane from Ellastone to Stanton. It's really delightful, going along a secluded valley and then suddenly deciding that it wants to take the route of maximum gradient out of the valley.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Took the gravel bike out to test the tyres for problems (like going flat), out and back was 24k and 670m. Tyres being much narrower I was a bit wobbly and being very careful coming down the forest road, not so confident as on old tyres. But they do appear to go up hills faster!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

5 of us rode as a group to Glasson Dock from Dinckley over Harris End. Got a bit lost in the lanes around Beacon Fell but was a good hilly ride out for lunch where we bumped into Lefty of Rossendale Harriers out with his pal. Route back was flatter via St Micheals and Garstang. Was a bit brisk on the return so stopped in Longridge for a well earned pint before tackling Dinckley “mountain” where we were parked. 68 miles 3350 ft of climbing - mainly in the first half. It doesn’t compare to the 94 miles and 5958 foot of climbing that Lefty did having gone over the Trough of Bowland. It has to be said that Lancashire is excellent cycling country