Page 671 of 846 FirstFirst ... 171571621661669670671672673681721771 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,710 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    40.5km into the Tame Valley, the Mease valley (and a visit to Clifton Campville) and the Trent Valley.

Longer than I'd planned, but the weather was good; lovely hot sun with a strong wind
    With your distances increasing like this, there's a danger our paths may cross some time soon. The easternmost point of your ride is only about 6 miles from the westernmost point of my last ride.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    About 38 miles, out to the East (which meant that I had a headwind on the way home, but it didn't seem to be holding me back significantly until the last 6 miles or so). Got some tingling in my toes, which became somewhat painful for the last hour; no idea what was causing that.

Some interesting sights on the way. A dozen men in army fatigues walking along the road, together with three ponies carrying some of the kit. The British Army is still using horse power in the 21st Century.

Had a look round the church and churchyard at Old Dalby. Discovered the grave of Edward Purdey from 1743, on which was engraved a diatribe against the woman who had murdered him over a small debt. The story was revealed with a bit of googling when I got home: apparently he had been a halfpenny short of the price of the beer he had drunk at a local hostelry, and the landlady set her dog on him, which inflicted lethal injuries. A salutary lesson, although obviously no-one on this forum would dream of entering a pub without enough cash to pay for their drinks.
    Jorge Luis Borges

After clearing up the birthday present left by one of my dogs I managed to get out on my bike just after 8. A lovely but windy day saw me matching my age in miles, 62, and 5'900 feet of ascent in 4hr 20min.

A loop out to Buxton, Goyt Valley, Cat and Fiddle, Axe Edge, Flash, Longnor, back up to The Mermaid, Elkstone, Wardslow, Hartington, Earl Sterndale, Flagg and home.

Lots of bikes out on what are usually quietish roads and chatting to another cyclist was informed that The Tour of the Peak, postponed from May was taking place.

A great day out.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Following my wife's 70 birthday party last night, I eventually dragged myself out this afternoon to ride off my hangover, a sweaty 20 miles and 2375ft. Not much fun.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Managed to get out on the bike late morning. 30 very warm miles and 2'950 feet in 2hs 3min taking in the villages of Flagg, Longnor, Hollinsclough (Chrome Hill looked lovely in the sunshine), Earl Sterndale, Taddington and home.

I didn't realise it was as hot as it was until I stopped when back at home and couldn't stop sweating!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Oxnop Scar in between Buttertubs Pass - in both directions. Both have 25% sctions which always concentrates the mind: 3200' in 24 miles.

I waited until I got home before again watching youtube of the Tour de France going up Buttertubs. There were fewer spectators watching my efforts - but it was quite hot to be out waiting in the sun.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Oxnop Scar in between Buttertubs Pass - in both directions. Both have 25% sctions which always concentrates the mind: 3200' in 24 miles.

I waited until I got home before again watching youtube of the Tour de France going up Buttertubs. There were fewer spectators watching my efforts - but it was quite hot to be out waiting in the sun.
    you must have been up early Graham
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

I love driving past cyclers going up Buttertubs and Oxnop and, better still, Fleet Moss. Its all about shouting 'dig in' if they're doing it properly or booing and hissing if they're walking

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I love driving past cyclers going up Buttertubs and Oxnop and, better still, Fleet Moss. Its all about shouting 'dig in' if they're doing it properly or booing and hissing if they're walking
    Graham obviously cycled over Fleet Moss on the way from his home in Ilkley to Buttertubs.

Anyway, The Fleak is the best route between Wensleydale and Swaledale: higher than both Buttertubs and Oxnop.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post

Anyway, The Fleak is the best route between Wensleydale and Swaledale: higher than both Buttertubs and Oxnop.
    Fleak Moss

"..top to enjoy scenery that rivals any in the Dales, or indeed England for that matter"

Simon Warren Cycling Climbs Of Yorkshire
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".