Page 717 of 846 FirstFirst ... 217617667707715716717718719727767817 ... LastLast
Results 7,161 to 7,170 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I've had my mountain bike serviced.

Needless to say I could have looked after it better.

Can't wait to ride it this weekend.
    Last edited by millipede; 06-03-2021 at 08:28 AM.

What a difference two degrees F make! The average today was 34.7 F. Positively balmy although the only riders I saw today were hard men all in black on serious bikes. The sort that do track stands at temporary traffic lights with me waiting behind until they falter so I can say "Good try!"

Basically a trip to Grassington (37 miles 3500 feet) and passing many fell race venues. In Stirton I went up Bog Road which is the very steep start to Brett Weeden's Stirton race up to Rough Haw on Flasby Fell. It is just as steep on a bike but my slow progress did allow me to reflect that Brett (+ Sue) is simply one of the best RO. So chilled as to be horizontal (well apart from that time when a novice runner got lost on Gt. Whernside in driving snow in a night race ).

I like the Skipton - Threshfield road. One the right is a huge ridge (Cracoe Fell, Rylstone Fell) adorned with towers and crosses and other detritus and on the left is the valley with the railway line serving Swinden Quarry, near Cracoe. This line used to go from Skipton to Threshfield (for Grassington) with, in Victorian times, aspirations to finish in the far north east, but after closure by BR the section to Cracoe was bought by the quarry owners (then Tilcon) to move thousands of tons of product every week. The quarry "shunting engine" needs to move 2500 ton trains up a 1:100 from a dead start every time a hopper wagon has been filled and weighs 150 tons with six powered axles. This is heavier than the US built General Motors diesels that have taken over main line freight traffic haulage in the UK and which carry away the filled hoppers.

After the quarry road crossing the track bed is still clear, adjecant to another country road, over farm land for the several miles to Threshfield where you meet the housing estate built on the site of the old station. Now a private house.

If you turn off the Grassington - Pately Bridge road at Hebden there is lovely high level, back-road that eventually looks down on Burnsall and the more familar side of the River Wharfe. Hardly anybody uses the road and people walk along the full width holding hands. This route can then take you, after Appletreewick, (start of more fell races) to another high and scarely visited (grass down the middle plus a ford) back road with 20% climbs and lots of gravel, looking down on Bolton Abbey, the Wharfe and tourists before Storiths near the Skipton-Harrogate road. But no need to join the HGVs for long because shortly after is the road to Beamsley and then Langbar, sitting below Beamsley Beacon (more fell races), and another 20% or so climb. Still what goes up must come down and 40mph is easily achieved if bouncing over the potholes through Middleton does not deter.

Middleton/Curly Hill is the posh part of Ilkley but the Bentley drivers are rich,old and quite intimidated by an idiot in lycra descending with no concern for their paint work. And then there would be all the paper work to sort out.

And then past Wheelbase and their garish window display of those Pinarello things, and home.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 05-03-2021 at 11:59 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    What a difference two degrees F make! The average today was 34.7 F. Positively balmy although the only riders I saw today were hard men all in black on serious bikes. The sort that do track stands at temporary traffic lights with me waiting behind until they falter so I can say "Good try!"

Bacially a trip to Grassington(37 miles 3500 feet) and passing many fell race venues.In Stirton I went up Bog Road which is the very steep start to Brett Weeden's Stirton race up to Rough Haw on Flasby Fell. It is just as steep on a bike but my slow progress did allow me to reflect that Brett(+ Sue) is simply one of the best RO. So chilled as to be horizontal (well apart from that time when a novice runner got lost on Gt. Whernside in driving snow in a night race )

I like the Skipton - Threshfield road. One the right is a huge ridge (Cracoe Fell, Rylstone Fell) adorned with towers and crosses and other detritus and on the left is the valley with the railway line serving Swinden Quarry, near Cracoe. This line used to go from Skipton to Threshfield (for Grassington),with in Victorian times aspirations to finish in the far north east, but after closure by BR the section to Cracoe was bought by the quarry owners (then Tilcon)to move thousands of tons of product every week. The quarry "shunting engine" needs to move 2500 ton trains up a 1:100 from a dead start every time a hopper wagon has been filled and weighs 150 tons with six powered axles. This is heavier than the US built General Motors diesels that have taken over main line freight traffic haulage in the UK and carry away the filled hoppers.

After the quarry bumpers and the road crossing the track bed is still clear over farm land for the several miles to Threshfield where you meet the housing estate built on the site of the old station. Now a private house.

If you turn off the Grassington - Pately Bridge road at Hebden there is lovely high level, back-road that eventually looks down on Burnsall and the more familar side of the River Wharfe. Hardly anybody uses the road and people walk along the full width holding hands. This route can then take you, after Appletreewick, (start of more fell races)to another high and scarely visited (grass down the middle and a ford)back road with 20% climbs and lots of gravel looking down on Bolton Abbey, the Wharfe and tourists before Storiths near the Skipton-Harrogate road. But no need to join the HGVs for long because shortly after is the road to Beamsley and then Langbar, sitting below Beamsley Beacon (more fell races), and another 20% or so climb. Still what goes up must come down and 40mph is easily achieved if bouncing over the potholes through Middleton does not deter. Middleton/Curly Hill is the posh part of Ilkley but the Bentley drivers are rich,old and quite intimidated by an idiot in lycra descending with no concern for their paint work.

And then there would be all the paper work to sort out.
    Talking of track beds I had a lovely ride from Earby to Carleton on the old Colne/Skipton route last week. It was a bit muddy and puddley so you roadies wouldn't like it. I do hope they never manage to reopen it.

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Talking of track beds I had a lovely ride from Earby to Carleton on the old Colne/Skipton route last week. It was a bit muddy and puddley so you roadies wouldn't like it. I do hope they never manage to reopen it.
    Well one or two new house-holders might be a bit grumpy and there is the little problem that the new line would have to be routed away from where the level crossing was because that would never be sanctioned now.

If you carry on beyond Earby it sometimes becomes more of a cutting than an embankmnt and becomes seriously wet but I think I have been as far as Foulridge. I am not sure how far you can get towards Colne.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well one or two new house-holders might be a bit grumpy and there is the little problem that the new line would have to be routed away from where the level crossing was because that would never be sanctioned now.

If you carry on beyond Earby it sometimes becomes more of a cutting than an embankmnt and becomes seriously wet but I think I have been as far as Foulridge. I am not sure how far you can get towards Colne.
    Well of course really it would be a good thing as a transport link- although it does go very close to some of those houses.

Maybe if it does get reopened they will add a bike/walking track as well.

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Well of course really it would be a good thing as a transport link- although it does go very close to some of those houses.

Maybe if it does get reopened they will add a bike/walking track as well.
    It would be/was a beautiful route. Lancashire is actually really nice.

After 6 days off the bike, due to tidying up my garden and allotment and getting the heavy work out of the way prior to shoulder surgery on the 24th, I went out on the Arkose yesterday afternoon.

Tarmac up to Chelmorton and then over to the HPT and to Parsley Hay. Down the Tissington Trail to Biggin and then off road on the rough Cardlemere and Cobblesnook Lanes, which really gave the shoulder some jip, back to the HPT. Northwest along to Parsley Hay and the reverse route home.

It felt a lot colder than it looked with a cold easterly and and I found I was wearing one layer too few. Only two pairs and a single cyclist seen and the car parks I passed were quieter than they have been for weeks.

A total of 36 miles and 1,644 feet in 2hrs 32.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

First bike ride of the year. 20km on the tandem with Mrs Noel. Great to get out again - lovely conditions.

Back on my bike now I have injured my calf yet again, plus the weather is better. Did 38k with 900m up in the forestry - sorry it's metric but that is what my gadget says!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Back on my bike now I have injured my calf yet again, plus the weather is better. Did 38k with 900m up in the forestry - sorry it's metric but that is what my gadget says!
    Your device should be able to be changed to miles and feet. You just need to find a youngster to do it for you
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog