Page 781 of 781 FirstFirst ... 281681731771779780781
Results 7,801 to 7,805 of 7805

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    it's hard to completely avoid hill round here.
    Boy, how much I envy you. It's extremely difficult where I live to do hills. And impossible to climb more than 60m in a single hill.������⛰️

On Thursday I did a 30 miles (2400 feet) pootle on the ADVenture bike - low milage because I wanted to take in two bridleways including the one from Bardon Moor cattle grid to Bolton Abbey - around 2 1/2 miles. It was drizzling and nobody was about and I went slightly off-route. I realised I had diverted from the one true path of righteousness but then had to choose between riding back up hill and getting back on the right line or continuing down a farm track to the main road - and it was a pretty miserable day, so hey!

Today my son did the Tom Pidcock sportive: 116 miles taking in a lot of the classic Yorkshire climbs. So to display father-son empathy and all, and being a little pigheaded, I rerode Thursday's route but taking a bit more notice of where I should point my front wheel - it wasn't raining - and I got it right. Of course doing the right route didn't really matter - a ride is a ride - but it mattered to me.

Perhaps I am just proud?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; Yesterday at 08:05 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Very, very, very nearly crashed the fancy bike this afternoon. First sprint of a HIIT session and I'm out of the saddle applying maximum torque, on the big chainring and the smallest sprocket (13t), when a bump in the road must have bounced the chain off.

Very, very scary, falling forward and belting my Cinelli 65 handlebars with my left knee. The sudden large-scale weight transfer, and big blow to the handlebars, caused the rear wheel to lift and the bike to turn right sharply at a GPS verified speed of 22.3mph.

I don't know how I didn't go over the handlebars, which is the normal outcome in cases like this, or crash the bike due to over-compensation. Someone, somewhere obviously likes me ..

Just to show what normally happens in cases like this, below is a clip of the late, great, Laurent Fignon having a similar incident in the 1982 Blois-Chaville race, which he was leading at the time. Note to Graham: this is the moment I stopped buying Campagnolo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeNU2HM6iOY

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Very, very, very nearly crashed the fancy bike this afternoon. First sprint of a HIIT session and I'm out of the saddle applying maximum torque, on the big chainring and the smallest sprocket (13t), when a bump in the road must have bounced the chain off.

Very, very scary, falling forward and belting my Cinelli 65 handlebars with my left knee. The sudden large-scale weight transfer, and big blow to the handlebars, caused the rear wheel to lift and the bike to turn right sharply at a GPS verified speed of 22.3mph.

I don't know how I didn't go over the handlebars, which is the normal outcome in cases like this, or crash the bike due to over-compensation. Someone, somewhere obviously likes me ..

Just to show what normally happens in cases like this, below is a clip of the late, great, Laurent Fignon having a similar incident in the 1982 Blois-Chaville race, which he was leading at the time. Note to Graham: this is the moment I stopped buying Campagnolo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeNU2HM6iOY
    I compliment you on your video research.

I liked Fignon.

Although I'd have preferred a film of Cavendish (falling on his face).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; Today at 09:49 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Luckily Fignon was wearing a bandana... could have been serious otherwise