Page 847 of 847 FirstFirst ... 347747797837845846847
Results 8,461 to 8,464 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Having been unable to shake off a tight hamstring since Lads Leap I have eased off on the running and in order to keep the fitness up, early last Sunday went for my first bike ride in nearly 3 months.

Out on the Arkose on tarmac to Chelmorton and then off road on a combination of bridleways, the High Peak and Tissington Trails to Biggin, over to Minninglow, back to Chelmorton and the road home.

36 miles, 1'667 feet in 2hrs 43 min.

The only incident of note was that as I was heading to Parsley Hay on a narrower section of trail, through a cutting that goes under the A515, I saw two horses galloping side by side towards me. Our combined speed was around 40 mph and the gap was closing fast. Not really having anywhere to go I noticed that they fell into single file but still galloping. As the first one was a few feet away I could see that both riders were struggling to hold them back and were straight legged in the stirrups, leaning back and pulling like hell on the reins. A scary moment as they went by in a flash, only 2 feet at most away from me. A mile later, when I stopped at Parsley Hay for a Latte, my heart was still pounding!

Yesterday morning I got the Scott road bike out and although cool and breezy had an enjoyable ride out to Flagg, High Needham, Hartington, Heathcote, Biggin, Friden, Arbor Low, Monyash, Magpie Mine and home. No equine scares just heaps of potholes to avoid.

31 miles, 2,431 feet in 2hrs 2mins. Arse a bit sore!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Went over Greenhow to the craven arms yesterday, there was a biting wind and i had my cag on all the way. The parcevall hall tea room is open again, so i had something to eat there.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Went over Greenhow to the craven arms yesterday, there was a biting wind and i had my cag on all the way. The parcevall hall tea room is open again, so i had something to eat there.
    Ran past Parcevall Hall on Saturday whilst competing in the Burnsall Trail half marathon. Nice route and I was pleased to finish in the top half of the field. It was won by Ted Mason - the route passed his farm. I wonder if he had time to stop for a cup of tea?

With my sensible head on after my visit to Charlie, I took his advice and did not take my place on the start line Of Kinder Downfall yesterday. He said I could run it if I took it easy but there would have been no chance of that once a number was pinned to my chest!

So the Scott Solace 10 was out again on a chilly but sunny morning. Out to Monyash and into and out of the Dove valley at Crowdecote. Along the ridge towards Sheen and down into the Manifold valley at Brund with its magnificently refurbished mill. Up the other side to Reaps Moor on the Staffordshire Moorlands where I was treated to the wheeling, whirling and haunting cry of numerous Curlews. Steadily up to The Mermaid and along Morridge to the Winking Man. Across the A53 and along the back of the Roaches towards Gradbach. Up to Flash where Tea and Lemon Drizzle Cake was taken at Flash Bar Stores.

Nicely refueled it was down the A53 to Buxton, in order to get a phone signal so I could wish my friend good luck in her Inter Counties race. Uphill to Harpur Hill and over to Earl Sterndale. Up past Hatch-a-Way and Harley Grange to Buxton Raceway then back down to Glutton Bridge via Dowel Dale. Up to Longnor via the "temporary" traffic lights that have been there for at least 25 years and that never stay on green long enough for a cyclist to safely make it to the top of the hill where one is likely to meet a vehicle speeding towards one, its driver usually very irate in having to slow down or stop.

Into Longnor and back in and out of the Dove at Crowdecote again, but this time in the opposite direction. Left at High Needham to Wheeldon Trees then over to Sparklow. Along the A515 to Pomeroy, then Chelmorton, Magpie Mine and home. A glorious 51 miles, 5,702 feet in 3hrs 48mins.

One moment of note was that when going downhill near Crowdecote, around 25 mph, I was confronted with a pothole ahead. Before I could decide which side of it to pass I could see it was more of a trench across the road. With no time to stop I just clenched everything and tried to jump in the air. It worked and I landed gently and upright on the other side. I had done my first ever "bunny hop"! I have seen the pro's do it in races over high kerbs and always wondered how they do it. Now I know but don't wish to make a habit of it.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; Yesterday at 01:28 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog