Page 715 of 846 FirstFirst ... 215615665705713714715716717725765815 ... LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,150 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Or the universe messing with you to see how low you will go
    There is a limit?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

15 degrees with a strong (15-20mph) southerly wind. Cloudy with glimmers of sun. Started off with shorts and short-sleeve top with arm warmers, which I quickly had to remove before overheating. 32-3km, 84 metres of ascent - 65 minutes.

Just for a change I went round part of the Lichfield ring road, underneath the West coast mainline railway and past the ditch where I found my last but two bike. No bikes today. Continued past Curborough sewage works, which processes what the people of Lichfield can't, and on to see the HS2 'works' where it crosses the A515. Couldn't really see anything different from last time I went this way on Christmas day, certainly no sign to indicate that there will be a railway here. Lots of people in hard hats though, and also 4 x 4 vehicles with contractors names on them.

North on the A515 to meet the River Trent, just North of King's Bromley, which was just about within its banks. Turned around here and then headed East against a difficult crosswind on the A513 past the Wat Mahathat Temple and Buddhist Monastery. Crossed over the A38 at Alrewas and then entered the Tame Valley. No flooding here, and the river looked to be at a normal level. Continued along the A513 until Elford before turning off and crossing the Tame again, followed by the West Coast mainline railway again.

Saw 5 cyclists, all wearing long tops and bottoms. If you don't wear shorts in 15 degrees C, how warm does it have to get?
    15 degrees? I reckon it reached a mighty 6 degrees here today.... in the pissing rain

The sky may not have been celeste but it was certainly blue enough for me to treat my taut and tuned post-service best bike to a 40 mile 3500 feet treat along a favourite route: Addingham, Bolton Abbey, West End, Greenhow, Grassington, Linton Falls, Burnsall - just yummy with lots of views of the ravishing River Wharfe. (But alas one that will change because the West End idyllic country road environment [between the A59 Skipton-Harrogate and the A59 to Pately Bridge roads] will be destroyed when the Kex Gill bypass is built). One short section around West End has always seemed a bit steep and now, thanks to Strava, I see it is 24.5%. Fortunately my brilliant Vittoria Graphene tyres (unpuctured in 2400 miles) topped up to 110 psi before departure, coped admirably - and why wouldn't they?

The B6265 betwen Pately Bridge and Grassingon also has its ups and downs (in additon to glorious moorland views) with two 16% descents. Since I last rode this route two huge signs have appeared near the top of the western descent down to Dibble's Bridge warning cyclists of a steep descent of 16% and referring to checking brakes. Well OK - but I doubt if anyone looking down this long straight descent needs advising that it is steep but what would be helpful to know is that at the bottom the road does an "S" over the narrow bridge over the River Dibb for which you do need to be well prepared or all your earthly cares will be over. Interestingly a little later there is another 16% descent but no special notice at all. In either case I knew my Campagnolo rim brakes would stop me on a sixpence. In the current Cycling Weekly Mr Froome suggests that he is warping his discs on alpine descents. Really Chris? I think he needs the publicity.

The road from Bolton Bridge up to Kex Gill is steep, three lanes, a couple of miles long and fast (60 mph limit) and so is a favourite haunt for police "safety camera vans". As I trundled up it I noticed descending cars were flashing the ascending traffic to warn of the police van hidden in the bushes. Naturally I slowed from 6 mph to 4 mph while I pondered that speeding is not yet universally regarded by drivers as such a henious a crime as, say, drink driving - or overtaking me and immediately turning left so tightly that my front wheel comes within a metre of your bloated Volvo estate. Volvo drivers?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 27-02-2021 at 11:37 PM.

What a fantastic day.

I set off up to Taddington and then straight down into Millers Dale and then Tideswell. Left at the Anchor and then the back road towards Castleton before another left up over Bradwell Moor to join the A623 above Peak Forest. Down the hill into Peak Forest, left at the crossroads and over to Buxton via Tunstead Quarry which is a huge hole in the ground.

From Buxton up Manchester Road and then down into the Goyt Valley which was heaving with people. There was surprisingly no queue at the Mr Whippy ice cream van at the roadside so a 99 was woolfed down.

Up the Goyt to the Cat and Fiddle which has reopened as a distillery. I have not been in for years, I think its been closed for at least 5 years, so went in for a nosy. Only one room was open selling outrageously expensive Beers, Wines and Spirits along with coffee to take away. I ordered a Latte, £2.90, and as I handed the youth serving me £3.00 he said "we don't have the facility to handle cash" whilst pointing to one of those card machine things. I replied that I didn't have the facility to pay by card and there was an awkward silence which was broken by a very nice lady stood behind me, who said, "I'll pay for your coffee".

I think she must have taken a shine to my new Orange Le Col Cycling Jersey. I thanked her and insisted that she took my £3, which she did.

Back towards Buxton and a right onto the Congleton Road and down to Allgreave. Lovely views across to Shutlingsloe which seemed to have at least a dozen folk at the summit, all stood in a row! Up the Dane Valley and a right to Goldsitch Moss before popping out on the A53 at Ramshaw Rocks. More uphill to The Winking Man, a right, and across the moors to the Mermaid before a lovely cooling descent to Hulme End and Hartington. Up Longdale to Earl Sterndale, over to Chelmorton and Taddington and a retrace of my steps home.

A total of 75 miles and 7,638 feet in a moving time of 5hr 17min. At least 40 other cyclists seen, none of which had the pleasure of overtaking me. (All the good ones must have been going in the opposite direction!)

Back home dead on 5pm in time for the rugby. A glorious ride, Wales beating England and a 99 in February. Days don't get much better than this
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Local legend on my fav hill is a guy who climbed it 28 times in the last 90 days.

I climbed it 39 times in the last 6 days ��������

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Just a short ride, as I didn't get out on the bike until after 3:30. Visited the 4 W's: the villages of Wysall, Widmerpool, Willoughby and Wymeswold are situated roughly at the corners of a square of side about 2 miles. If you fancy buying a house in Widmerpool, you will need a 5th W; Wealth.

Sorry, Marco, but my shorts are still in the cupboard. At the speed I cycle, I don't generate much heat; and it was actually rather cold by the time I got home just after sunset.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

27.6 miles and almost 3,000 feet of climb today. Horton, Stainforth, Dale Head, off-road on the Dawson Close track to Litton, through Littondale to Arncliffe, up to the top of Yew Cogar Scar, Malham Tarn, Henside, Stainforth and Horton. Yorkshire Dales cycling at its best

The climb out of Arncliffe to the cattle grid at the top of Yew Cogar is an absolute rip snorter

Certainly looks like it on the map, something like 187m/614ft of ascent. What we'd give to have a hill like that 100 miles further South.

BTW completely different weather here today; 6 degrees, cloudy and with a biting wind
    The Strava segment ‘Arncliffe Killer’, which just does the hard bit of that climb, is the business. 13.3% full bollocks over half a mile

It is said that, in terms of weather, March comes in like a lion and the Garmin record for today's 36 miles (2700 feet) trip via Burnsall, Linton, Grassington, Cracoe etc showed an average temperature of 32.3 F. I suppose it was the 0.3 F that meant icicles did not form from the tears in my eyes from the cold. I am not someone who, when alone, stops for coffee and cake so people can admire my bike but today I did divert to Grassington for a double espresso and, knowing that no one would believe this dilution of my image, I even took a photograph of the takeaway cup.

I left my bike by the shop door unlocked (the cold and the clag meant Grassington was somewhat devoid of humanity) and the next customer commented that there were now few places where it would not have been stolen, even as I watched it, Grassington being one. However I am sure SPD pedals divert those who still believe in toe clips away from thievery.

Around Ilkley I saw dozens of cyclists but as I moved North virtually none, apart from a small group of ladies in a virtually deserted Burnsall. It was in Burnsall on my last trip out that I met a polite couple who were both riding Bottecchia bikes - the brand Greg Lemond rode, and famously in the Paris time trial when he, to my annoyance, beat Laurent Fignon to deny Laurent his third Tour.

I guess if you ride a Bottecchia you are partly saying "look at me" (or us) which is perhaps not the case on a Boardman. Yet Boardman markets a model that retails at £2300, although whether one would recognise that out on the road is perhaps debatable.

Anyway,wet days,warm days,cold days: 500+ miles so far this year
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 03-03-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    It is said that, in terms of weather, March comes in like a lion and the Garmin record for today's 36 miles (2700 feet) trip via Burnsall, Linton, Grassington, Cracoe etc showed an average temperature of 32.3 F. I suppose it was the 0.3 F that meant icicles did not form from the tears in my eyes from the cold....
    What the heck? 32.3 Fahrenheit? Surely you mean 273.317 Kelvin