Page 846 of 846 FirstFirst ... 346746796836844845846
Results 8,451 to 8,454 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

50m up to the craven arms and back on sunday, a drizzly start, but it continued to improve as the day went on and i was fully derobed all the way back. On the annoyingly narrow section of the A65 outside Wheelbase in Ilkley, i was nearly squished into oncoming traffic by an SUV driver who wanted a better view of the queue. She moved right and sped up with me alongside her, maybe she knew i was there maybe she didn't. It's the unfortunate thing when the cabin of your car is the size of a Polo, yet it has the wheelbase of a Hi-Cube Transit; you simply can't gauge it's size. This is made worse by the size of the B and C pillars which severely limit your ability to notice passing cyclists, it's no wonder that most new cars have warning lamps in the wing mirrors now. The craven arms have a 5% guest IPA on draught; it's nice, i might see if i can do 3 of that next week.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Much better weather today as i made my way up to the craven arms for my medicine, but with better weather come retards from the suburbs. People who don't mind risking your legs by overtaking you on a blind crest expecting anyone coming the other way to just work with it and get out of the way. Twice in a row now i have been unfortunate with my timing and ended up behind a stinking sheep transporter all the way through ilkley. It's definitely time to start wearing sheilds again too, if not for traffic dust, for flies; i'm still picking crap out of my eyes. Whilst at the craven arms i saw one of the best comb-overs i have ever seen, atop the head of a guy who had gone down the 15yrs my junior Thai wife route. I suppose when age comes for you, you can either roll with it or fight it; i can probably say he's having more fun that me and most likely doesn't ride depressed and alone every sunday.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    . . . a guy who had gone down the 15yrs my junior Thai wife route. I suppose when age comes for you, you can either roll with it or fight it; i can probably say he's having more fun that me and most likely doesn't ride depressed and alone every sunday.
    I have a lot of sympathy with you, having myself been mostly alone until I met my wife at the age of 36 . . . although it was when I was cycling (or running) that I was fairly sure to not be depressed.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I have a lot of sympathy with you, having myself been mostly alone until I met my wife at the age of 36 . . . although it was when I was cycling (or running) that I was fairly sure to not be depressed.
    I don't really know what i'm supposed to be doing with myself. Most of the time i feel like a spare piece of meat wandering a landscape. It's the sense of uselessness and isolation; the feeling of not being part of anything or anyone's team.