Page 690 of 846 FirstFirst ... 190590640680688689690691692700740790 ... LastLast
Results 6,891 to 6,900 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Don't suppose you get out much...
    Not since I dismissed my chauffeur for being disrespectful...
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Back to Pannal but this time returning via Beckwithshaw, Leathley - down the 16% hill used in the Tour de Yorkshire - Askwith: 35 miles and 2000 feet. I went on the ADVenture bike because North Yorkshire HIghways assume everyone drives a tractor or a Land Rover and maintains the roads accordingly.

As I cycled through Askwith I glanced right at the T -junction to the road that leads up to Blubberhouses. It is a serious climb.

One of my son's cycling chums who is a Consultant at Leeds General "everested" up and down the hill recently to raise funds for a new incubator. He started at 1am and rode up and down and up and down and...for 175.7 miles (283km) to climb 30,696ft (9356m) in a time of 14 hours 43 minutes, which was 64 reps. I know the climb well and that is mind numbing.

He has raised over £8000 so far. Doctors eh?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 26-11-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Carrying a few running-related niggles, so this morning i got on the bike and attempted my first relatively fast bike effort for a couple of decades (save for a few 50 milers whilst on holiday in the Canaries a few years back).

When i was 16/17 i had a little time-trial i used to do, about 22 miles, perhaps 1200-1500ft altogether but certainly nothing major and the biggest climb no more than 5mins out of the saddle.

I have vague memories of not being able to break 1hr30 when i was in my teens, so that was my target today... without going completely hell-for-leather, but maintaining a good effort, managed 1hr24 today in cold and damp conditions.

I don't supposed i've moved much with the times in the 21 years since i last did it... technical clothing today consisted of a pair of Ron Hill tracksters, and i even had the same bike i used in the 90's.

My racing spirit got awakened in the middle section when i caught and passed a very serious looking guy on a mainly uphill section of a few miles... he more than redressed the balance on a long downhill couple of miles on his racing bike, flying past me without even pedalling, whilst i was ragging the hell out of mine just to try and top 30mph.

Might have another go at xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

Might have another go at xmas.
    I hope that Santa can get a new one down your chimney Trav's.

BTW Welsh 1'000s entry open on 1st Dec!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I hope that Santa can get a new one down your chimney Trav's.

BTW Welsh 1'000s entry open on 1st Dec!

Thought it was 1st Jan?!?

Yes i'm up for that, 50th anniversary.

Friend (Dr Bike) put the new bottom bracket in today, I shall put back peddles and chain tomorrow and hopefully back for ride. He fettled a few other things whilst at it, think he wondered how I rode it!
    With leg injured again I do need my wheels.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Thirty miles (2000 feet) along muddy country lanes that I have often passed and thought "I wonder what is down there..." and so on a claggy day I saw more tractors than cars, more horses than cyclists and few people out in the chilly miserable weather. But I passed a trout hatchery (on the River Washburn), a young man who had driven his car into a ditch and hedge and seemed pre-occupied on his mobile phone when I passed, Almscliffe Crag and the wonderful Briscoerigg National Grid Gas Offtake Station - which gladdens the heart of any engineer who can see the poetry in vast Cameron ball valves.

All this...and back before dark.

And I bet you have a book on your shelf about the history, development and uses worldwide for Cameron ball valves

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    And I bet you have a book on your shelf about the history, development and uses worldwide for Cameron ball valves
    Actually 2020 is the Centenary of the founding of Cameron (now part of Schlumberger) - but I suspect you may be teasing me.

Nothwithstanding your merciless cruelty I can lend you:

Humphreys & Glasgow : A Century of Achievement 1892-1992, or

Always Under Pressure: A History of North Thames Gas since 1949, or

Full Gas - How To Win A Bike Race:Tactics From Inside The Peloton by Peter Cossins.

Oh. Not sure about that last one!

Much as I appreciate your kind offer Graham, I shall pass on this occasion and stick to my supply of library crime thrillers, murders and mutilation.

But back on course, 30k and 800m seemed very hard work after the break from cycling and extra poundage gained. I shall have to work out how to keep warm from here on, toes were frozen in my trainers.