Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fifty-five (55!) miles and 3200 feet in allegedly an average temperature of 80 F - and after three gels and two full bidons (+ biccies) I believe.

A tarmac dash to Hellifield to see 35018 British India Line haul 12 coaches up the Settle - Carlisle line (After Stanier surely the most beautiful steam locomotive class ever built?), then some quiet cross country roads to pick up the Leeds-Liverpool Canal and then Route 1 from Riddlesden to Ilkley with its 15% teasers over Keighley Gate (one of Simon Warren's Yorkshire Cycling Climbs).

I took the Boardman ADV bike - well ADV does stand for adventure.

To fight off heat stroke I sang I Fought The Law to myself with its openeng lines of "Breaking rocks in the hot sun, I fought the law and the law won". Written by Sonny Curtis (who played with the Crickets for a while) it is one of his minor works but has had five Billboard Hot 100 placings so is a song which keeps on giving. The most famous version is probably by the Bobby Fuller Four which reached #9 in 1966 (on Mustang records) although I think Bobby Fuller is best remembered for allegedly committing suicide at 23 just after having his third Billbard hit - by drinking petrol. Petrol?

Although if you believe that you probably also believe that he chose and managed to give himself a severe beating first while sitting in his car. Go figure?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 23-07-2021 at 12:00 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".