Page 700 of 846 FirstFirst ... 200600650690698699700701702710750800 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,000 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

A gloriously sunny but deceptively cold day for todays bike ride. I didn't set off until midday to let the roads dry out a little, which they did. Out to Monyash and Longnor before the long climb up into the Staffordshire Moorlands, where there was a little black ice in the shade of some walls, and todays TP named Hill House which overlooks the village of Elkstone.

The 2 mile descent into Warslow chilled me to the bone and I struggled to get warm again for the rest of the ride home via Hartington, Flagg and Monyash.

Apart from a couple of hundred yards on grass to reach the Trig a tarmac ride totalling 36 miles, 3,419 feet in 2hrs 46 min.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Straightforward 35 miles (1800ft) trip along a fast running Wharfe and encircling Harewood House. The only excitement was the warm come-to-bed smiles I received from two young ladies in the middle of nowhere but before I forgot my Covid responsibilities I noticed their Porsche Boxster was broken down and so suspected their motives. A Boxster? Perhaps they were hairdressers? Now every man has his price and I think mine is a 928 GTS 5.4 litres, which surely Mr B will agree is the most seductive car ever built, apart, of course, from the Citroen SM with the Maserati engine. Oh My!

It was a bright, blue-sky day and I saw more cyclists out in the country than since the Tour de Yorkshire. They didn't look like local farmers so must have a broad view of "local area". Certainly the guy dressed in black who was doing around 40k on his De Rosa didn't look as though he would be happy pootling round the car park in Ilkley.

He wasn't followed by a police car though so it cannot have been Boris.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 12-01-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I would very much like to come up to West Yorkshire for a days cycling, when it is safe and legal to do so. Of course to fully experience the best of the area I would need a cycling guide. This person would need to be a cultured cyclist and connoisseur of the West Yorkshire road network; but where can I find such a person? Mmmh ...
    If such a person exists he may have his own tests eg devotion to Bob Dylan, absolute knowledge of the 55 films of Claude Chabrol, owner of the complete recordings of Maria Callas,...and intimate knowledge of every page of Stud Marks...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Straightforward 35 miles (1800ft) trip along a fast running Wharfe and encircling Harewood House.
    Of course you will be appalled that we are now allowed to pronounce "Harewood" as it is spelt: http://worldfitt.com/2021/01/02/earl...arewood-house/
    Imagine the chaos if this sort of idiocy ever gets as far as Keighley, never mind Loughborough!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Of course you will be appalled that we are now allowed to pronounce "Harewood" as it is spelt: http://worldfitt.com/2021/01/02/earl...arewood-house/
    Imagine the chaos if this sort of idiocy ever gets as far as Keighley, never mind Loughborough!
    Fortunately Anthony I have never needed a taxi to go to Har-wood and my bike happily goes to where it is pointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    ...The only excitement was the warm come-to-bed smiles I received from two young ladies in the middle of nowhere...
    Lockdown must be really getting to you!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Hope that doesn't catch on in Wales 🤔
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Hilly ride around Charnwood Forest, with 400 metres of ascent in 95 minutes. Much of the ride was in clag, with the cloud base around 150 metres.

Started on the road over Whittle Hill, then Oaks-in-Charnwood, Warren Hills, down to Agar Nook (which sounds so much better than "down to a housing estate on the edge of Coalville"). Up past the highest pub in Leicestershire (The Bull's Head at Abbots Oak) and on to the highest road in Leicestershire (245 metres) at Green Hill; frustrating to see the sun shining weakly through the cloud, indicating that if it was possible to get maybe 100 metres higher, I would be above the cloud. Back via Priory Lane in Ulverscroft, where I took the two steep descents very carefully in the wet road conditions.
    Jorge Luis Borges

[QUOTE=Marco;671275]

Crossed the West Coast mainline at Tamworth on the new bridge that replaced the nearly new bridge. Twenty plus years ago it was a level crossing with a busy road which was considered a safety issue. A bridge was built to the side and when completed the road was kinked to the side over it and the level crossing was shut. Ten years later they widened the West Coast mainline from two tracks to four, and in order to do this they built another new bridge to the side (directly above where the level crossing had been) and then demolished the ten year old bridge. It brings a smile to my face every time I go over the new, new bridge - and now you know why HS2 is going to cost so much!

2004 to 2008 works (Wikipedia)

Prior to this work being carried out, the West Coast Main Line had four tracks between London and Rugby, comprising a "fast line" and a "slow line" in each direction (the slow lines diverting via the Northampton Loop Line). Similarly, there were four tracks north of Stafford. Although parts of the Trent Valley line previously had four tracks, there was an 11-mile (18 km) long section of track between Tamworth and Armitage that had only ever been double track. When plans for the modernisation of the WCML were being developed in the 1990s, it was realised that these arrangements could not accommodate the faster Pendolino trains as well as slower local services. It was therefore decided to increase the number of tracks between Lichfield and Armitage to four; later it was decided to extend this from Tamworth as well, giving four tracks throughout from Nuneaton to Colwich Junction, north of Rugeley. The two outer tracks are "slow", while the "fast" lines are the two innermost tracks.[4]

Work started in 2004, and access roads were built on the eastern side of the line. Substantial earthworks were carried out and 37 bridges were replaced. A level crossing at Hademore was replaced by two road bridges in early 2007. The four-track railway between Lichfield North and Armitage was brought into use on 29 May 2008. Concurrently, Lichfield Trent Valley signal box was closed and within a month had been demolished. On 8 September the same year, the four-track railway between Tamworth and Lichfield came into use and Tamworth signal box closed.

So 37 new bridges? Don't you just love civil engineers?

Master
    [QUOTE=Graham Breeze;671279]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Work started in 2004, and access roads were built on the eastern side of the line. Substantial earthworks were carried out and 37 bridges were replaced. A level crossing at Hademore was replaced by two road bridges in early 2007. The four-track railway between Lichfield North and Armitage was brought into use on 29 May 2008. Concurrently, Lichfield Trent Valley signal box was closed and within a month had been demolished. On 8 September the same year, the four-track railway between Tamworth and Lichfield came into use and Tamworth signal box closed.

So 37 new bridges? Don't you just love civil engineers?
    At least here they actual built the railway improvements. In my neck of the woods, several bridges were rebuilt, with roads typically being closed for six months, to make way for electrification; and then the electrification was cancelled.
    Jorge Luis Borges