Page 654 of 846 FirstFirst ... 154554604644652653654655656664704754 ... LastLast
Results 6,531 to 6,540 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    I did velo Birmingham and Midlands yesterday cycled with wife as it was our 29th wedding anniversary!!. Total time 6:50 but we had a couple of 20 minute stops so cycling time for the 102 miles about 6:10 which is not too bad. not done a lot of cycling this year so felt more tiring than The Fred W which was also yesterday and I did a year ago.

I am pretty sure we went past the chap who died. I was totally gutted to hear about this last night as it completely takes the shine off the day. I have done a few closed road events (London and the previous Velo Birmingham. My view is that closed road mass participation events are more dangerous than smaller open road sportives. London was really scary last year. The problem is people forget that other cyclists are also on the roads and many participants are inexperienced and thus cycle badly or without etiquette and due care. several times yesterday the fast trains came past me without a call and without concern about other slower cyclists. there were several occasions where people cut in suddenly infront of me or puller out suddenly. Any of these actions can trigger a chain reaction. I am lucky enough to gain free entry to the big Velo events, but probably wouldn't do them otherwise due to too many cyclists in too smaller space!

PeteS. it was good route yesterday. probably not as good as 2 years ago, but much faster terrain. If it clashes next year I'd certainly choose the Fred whitton over the two.
    Totally agree with you on mass participation events and inexperienced cyclists. I've had a few near misses myself over the years. I also think that closed roads tend to make cyclists less risk averse and speeds tend to be higher which I guess may contribute in part to any accidents or at least their outcome. I hit 45mph + on some of the descents in Velothon Wales and dread to think what would have happened if I'd hit the deck at that speed.

I did the Birmingham Velo last time and enjoyed it immensely, Bewdley and the Clent Hills being a highlight. Just couldn't get inspired by the route this time and with a hefty price to enter, I chose some more low key sportive for this year.

The Fred Whitton is on my list to do one year but often clashes with fell races (and I'm not sure I'd manage Hardknott anyway!)

BTW Police are appealing for witnesses and video of the accident if you saw anything or know anyone who did.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    The Fred Whitton is on my list to do one year but often clashes with fell races (and I'm not sure I'd manage Hardknott anyway!)
    I reccied the FW before doing it as an event. Since then I have cycled around it in full or parts many times, including on my Tri 60 challenge last year. I guess you lose the fear. hardknott is not too bad once you have done it a couple of times. best to have a compact gear set up though.

Glorious 30 miles and 3,000 feet this evening around Earl Sterndale, Biggin and Youlgrave. The views over Chrome hill were magnificent.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Spending a couple of days in Llani so yesterday evening had a glorious 30 miles and 3,000 ft ride around the Hafren Forest, Staylittle and Clywedog Dam. This evening another glorious ride of 45 miles and 4,000 ft around Tylwch,St Harmon, Rhayader and the Elan Valley dams. Not a lot of wildlife about but bluebells at their best in the evening sun and the beautiful Mid-Wales countryside only spoiled by the wind turbines that were generating zilch even though the wind was slowing me down!
    Planned to have a pre-ride fuel at the Travellers Rest but it was closed at 3.30. That would not have happened in Mrs Gough’s day and would have her turning in her grave!

Sounds idyllic. Other than commuting I have not managed a decent ride for a few weeks - fell running keeps getting in the way!

I wish fell running would get in the way of my bike riding but a recurring calf injury prevents it. Did my first race of 2019 a couple of weeks ago, Cressbrook Crawl, but although the calf behaved during the race it has flared up since but it is fine on the bike!

Beautiful loop around the upper Goyt Valley, Axe Edge and Glutton Bridge yesterday evening whilst son was club swimming at Buxton. Only 21 miles but 2,000 feet which made me work. The bluebells are still hanging on and lovely in the fading evening sunlight although the northwesterly breeze made it cold in the shade.

Banned
    Just a short potter round Göcek harbour.
    7k in total on an old mountain bike that stuck in the same gear due to no cable's for the gear changers.

Might just be enough to get me back on a bike more often.

(I posted similar yesterday while in Turkey but when I get back home I discovered my post had been removed ?????)

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Just a short potter round Göcek harbour.
    7k in total on an old mountain bike that stuck in the same gear due to no cable's for the gear changers.

Might just be enough to get me back on a bike more often.

(I posted similar yesterday while in Turkey but when I get back home I discovered my post had been removed ?????)
    Its not been removed Stagger, its still on the Tonights TV thread where you originally posted it and I replied, you daft bugger.

Too much sun?