Page 764 of 846 FirstFirst ... 264664714754762763764765766774814 ... LastLast
Results 7,631 to 7,640 of 8451

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

As we are in that area I have never been able to fathom why Llanymawddwy and Dinas Mawddwy are in the Dyfi valley and not the Mawddach!
    A long time ago, when the people from the dinas and the llan walked to their nearest market town, Dolgellau, they were so strong and fit that they didn't even notice that they had walked over a bwlch into a different valley.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The forecast heavy rain arrived, so I repaired the two punctured inner-tubes and looked at the blown out one. This is what the valve looked like before I took the inner-tube out

As it definitely had something rattling inside, I cut open, (to grievous personal discomfort as it was a top end Continental one), the inner-tube and this is what I found

The metal part to the left is the bottom, working part, of the Presta valve and is 16mm long. Worryingly, the top part, which will be at least this long, is missing. No doubt I will put my foot on it at some time when I haven't put anything on my feet
    Interesting!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    The forecast heavy rain arrived, so I repaired the two punctured inner-tubes and looked at the blown out one. This is what the valve looked like before I took the inner-tube out

As it definitely had something rattling inside, I cut open, (to grievous personal discomfort as it was a top end Continental one), the inner-tube and this is what I found

The metal part to the left is the bottom, working part, of the Presta valve and is 16mm long. Worryingly, the top part, which will be at least this long, is missing. No doubt I will put my foot on it at some time when I haven't put anything on my feet
    So much for top end Continental inner tubes and Valves !
    The older I get the Faster I was

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Postponed from April, this weekend finally sees my favourite one day race take place. The hell of the north, Paris Roubaix is this Sunday and will of course be compulsory viewing - in fact other than an early run, I doubt much else will get done.
    The bookies favourite is of course Wout van Aart but I think he looked tired at the worlds after what has been a long season so I'm going for Mathieu van der Poel, starting to look back to near his best. However this race is notoriously unpredictable so a good outside bet would be Kasper Asgreen or maybe Zdenek Stybar and it would be really good to see Tom Pidcock cap a fabulous season off with a podium finish.

I said planned, as I didn't get there as HS2 had shut the road again. This is the seventh time they've shut it, so far (and four of them have been unannounced), and yet no work has started - they've spent the last two years building their depot car park and building, re-building and then re-building again their village of site huts
    Ah but it's worth it. Fracking, HS2 - I guess I'm just a visionary.

And think of the stories you will tell your grand children about how your training was interrupted by the construction of the greatest railway to be built in the UK since Robert Stephenson.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    So much for top end Continental inner tubes and Valves !
    It's all about quality control. The top end ones will use the same valves as the cheap ones, but every tube will be inspected in some way; mostly to make sure all the parts are fitted/bonded correctly. The cheap ones will have no quality control in the process whatsoever, but it's a simple process and the chances are everything got done properly. The quality control is needed to gain ISO9000 accreditation, but costs money which gets passed on to the end user. If you're buying tubes, buy cheap; if you're buying mechs, buy expensive...you want them to be looked at closely so you don't get stranded on the A58M on christmas day trying to be the first person to ride the whole Leeds inner ring road.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

As the 'incident' happened upstairs on the landing,
    Bicycle mechanical operations "upstairs on the landing" Marco?

Perhaps I should not ask but do you live in an upside-down house?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I hope David has got the fire on at The Craven Arms tommorrow.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

What a ride by Lizzie Deignan today! Otley's finest. Dad, John is a past V60 winner of the 3 peaks and Mum, Carol a past womens winner of the Full Tour of Pendle. Good genes must help.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    What a ride by Lizzie Deignan today! Otley's finest. Dad, John is a past V60 winner of the 3 peaks and Mum, Carol a past womens winner of the Full Tour of Pendle. Good genes must help.
    A fine ride by Lizzie to hold off Vos and what an addition to her palmares to be first woman to win Paris-Roubaix.
    Yes I know this race can be a lottery but that is why it is such a spectacle and such compelling viewing. I loved the fact the Trek-Segafredo got 2 riders on the podium yet the team car had a puncture.
    Hopefully tomorrows race lives up to expectations.