Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Harrogate has never got over hosting the finish of the TdF stage which Cavendish was supposed to win - but crashed instead. Ah well, pride goes before a fall.

The Tourist Office website states that money can't buy happiness but it can buy a bike and that's nearly as good. Of the local "killer climbs" the only one I hadn't done was Peat Lane (from Brewerley, near Pately Bridge) - until today. This is a sort of country lane bypass to the infamous 2 miles long Greenhow Hill, now resplendent with North Yorkshire's standard warning to cyclists Danger Long Steep Hill etc.

My son had said that climbing Peat Lane was horrible and it is. Harrogate Council warns that "descending Peat Lane should be done with EXTREME CAUTION, the road is steep with a degraded road surface, loose chippings, limited visibility and tight corners".

This is true but, of course, applies to ascending as well with a delighful 25% kicker near the start to get you in the right frame of mind. Today I used my ADVenture bike because the tyres are 35mm rather than the 25mm on the Italian Job but even this didn't stop the back wheel spinning as it lost grip on the loose gravel 25% section near False Tooth Bridge.

Anyway 40 miles, 3900 feet, max speed 40 mph, max pulse 149 bpm and "never again".

Sons do know best.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-05-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".