Page 711 of 730 FirstFirst ... 211611661701709710711712713721 ... LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,110 of 7294

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, I think you're right. A road bike probably wouldn't take the width of tyre you're likely to need. It's worth saying that if you bought an adventure/gravel bike you could always put road tyres on it if circumstances changed, but if you bought a road bike you'd struggle to do the reverse
    You are spot on Marco. The only thing I would add Fellbeast is that a gravel/adventure bike is great off road if that off road is relatively smooth. You refer to "all things off road" where perhaps the surface is very rutted or has lots of stones or rocky sections where suspension would be handy.

Over a small section you would probably get away with it but being rattled for hours on end is not fun and a Mountain Bike could be an option. Again, as Marco has alluded to, smoother road type tyres are available for Mountain Bikes and roll well, but enable you to travel faster, more comfortably, over rougher surfaces.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    You are spot on Marco. The only thing I would add Fellbeast is that a gravel/adventure bike is great off road if that off road is relatively smooth. You refer to "all things off road" where perhaps the surface is very rutted or has lots of stones or rocky sections where suspension would be handy.

Over a small section you would probably get away with it but being rattled for hours on end is not fun and a Mountain Bike could be an option. Again, as Marco has alluded to, smoother road type tyres are available for Mountain Bikes and roll well, but enable you to travel faster, more comfortably, over rougher surfaces.
    I don't dissent from my esteemed forumites. I would get an adventure/gravel bike and you can fine tune the tyres. A dealer might let you trade what it comes with for what you really want. A MTB is good for "mountains" but they are heavy because the frames have to be stronger, the suspension is heavy, the wheels/tyres.... and so they just aren't fun on the road and the gearing will be lower so you can never go really fast (!) So eg my road bike is 19lb, my adventure bike is 24lb, my MTB was around 30lb and that might not sound like much but when you've lifted it over a few stiles you will be able to cancel your gym subscription.

And although they can be fiddly you will probably want disc brakes cos they will stop you better.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 27-01-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    ...but when you've lifted it over a few stiles you will be able to cancel your gym subscription...
    Tut tut G, riding your mtb on footpaths.

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    Tut tut G, riding your mtb on footpaths.
    Ooops!

11 degrees C, some sun, shorts and one very wet foot

From -5 to 9 degrees C in less than 24 hours meant all the snow (3-4 inches on the ground) had drained into the River Tame, plus all the ditches and fields within half a mile. Minor roads were impassable through all the puddles joining together. Changed my planned route twice and ended up in Fradley on the edge of the Trent Valley before heading East on the A513.

All went well until I crossed the Tame and entered the area close to the confluence of the rivers Trent, Mease and Tame where it got rather marginal. Crossing underneath the Birmingham-Tamworth-Derby railway I saw the full extent of it, and promptly stopped to consider my options.

To my left the River Mease was flowing over the road bridge as well as under it - and by about 300mm. To my right the Mease had flooded across the A513, and where there was a 50 metre puddle last week it was nearer 100 metres long today. Using my experience of these matters I chose to watch a group of four cars drive through it very slowly, in the direction I was heading, to calculate its depth; around 200-250mm by the looks of it in the middle of the road. There was a group waiting to drive down the middle in the other direction so I thought I'd have to wait, until the first car decided to three-point turn.

Seizing the opportunity I unclipped one foot from my pedal and aimed for the middle of the road. This week it was deep enough for my foot to be going into the water as I pedalled! Worse still, the Mease was flowing across the road meaning I was having to steer left to keep the bike going straight; I know Graham said these Graphene 2.0 tyres were good in the wet, but this was ridiculous! Still it was worth it for the look of surprise from the three-point-turning motorist watching a cyclist ride through a puddle they weren't prepared to drive through.

27.2km with 82m of ascent
    Last edited by Marco; 28-01-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Going downhill fast

Did he do that on-sight 🚲? Fair play, he always comes up with something great.

Bet the local mountain rescue will be camped out at the bottom this weekend ready to scrape the fallen wannabees off the slabs.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

A 38 miles and 2000ft pootle to Harrogate via Harewood, Pannal, Harlow Carr, Beckwithshaw, Leathley. And not forgetting the prosaically named "Gas Offtake Station" at Briscoerigg Farm which is part of the National Gas Transmission System constructed after "North Sea Gas" was discovered in the early 1960s. An array of beautiful Cameron ball valves that can control gas at 1000 psig and above. Poetry.

Let's face it : being an astronaut is OK and so is being a steam-engine driver but working on an oil refinery - Wow!

It was such a lovely day I was regretting not taking my Bianchi down from its suspension in the silk lined, air conditioned, secure storage facility - but after 34 miles it rained so I felt smug with my wise decision.

Wet and smug beats dry and grumpy.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 29-01-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Wet and smug beats dry and grumpy.
    Wet and grumpy is the only option on a bike here in Wales. Except when we have won the 6 nations and then life is daffodils 🌻 (nearest I could find to a Daffodil, not sure about the grammar either).
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Due to having to go to Chesterfield this morning my plans for a longish bike ride were thwarted. So this afternoon I got aboard my Moda Bolero, my winter road bike, for the first time in 18 months and took it for a spin.
    Up to Monyash, over the 515 and down Long Dale to Hartington and on just over the Stafforshire border but before Hulme End took a right, up towards Sheen, and todays TP at Bank Top. No one could be found at Bank Top Cottage so I hopped over a gate and trotted the 400 yards up to the TP which had lovely views over Hartington and the upper Dove Valley.

As I was getting short of daylight I retraced my route back to Monyash and then home via Horse Lane. A total of 25 miles and 1,860 feet in 1hr 42 mins. A bit of drizzle today but not enough for waterproof jacket to be donned. No other cyclists seen.

As my Moda is fitted with the Microshift gear changing system I had a little practice to remind myself on the way out. All went well and fortunately I was not presented with an unexpected quick gearchange, usually at the bottom of a steep incline, which is when the wheels can come off when riding with a system that is different from what one is used to.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog