Page 709 of 728 FirstFirst ... 209609659699707708709710711719 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,090 of 7273

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I saw a cyclist today, my mate Neil went past on his road bike - good to see because he had covid in December. Though 10 minutes later his wife came by on her bike and stopped for a chat - much muttering about if he overdoes things he won't be getting any sympathy from her as everyone has warned him to take it easy.
    Where have I heard that lecture before?
    I thought you were going to say she had given him 30 mins start and was chasing him down!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    It is a brilliant website, particularly the side by side views.
    You're ahead of me on the side by side views, clearly I'll have to spend more time on it

The London and North Western Railway (LNWR) was allegedly in the late 19th century the largest joint stock company in the world (although some references merely say UK).
    I read that somewhere too. I don't have any (known) relatives who worked on the LNWR, just the Midland, LMS, LNER etc

Back on the Arkose for todays bike ride was a bit of a splash and dash affair on B, C and unclassified roads many of which had either standing or running water and lots of gravel that had been washed out of overflowing streams and culverts.

Down into Youlgreave, up to Middleton and then Elton before a short ride across a field to todays TP on Elton Common. Back to Elton and on to Alport via Robin Hoods Stride. A final loop around Bakewell and Sheldon and then home.

Only 22 miles and 2,530 feet in 1hr 50mins. Very, very windy but dry when I set off with just a HH lifa base layer and a Spring/Autumn weight Stolen Goat cycling jersey. I had my waterproof folded inside the front of my jersey as a wind stopper, but when the rain came did not put it on as the warm(ish) rain was nice and refreshing. If I had been going further I would have donned it as I was getting a little chilly on the downhill run home.

No other cyclists seen but a few walkers, most with dogs.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Thirty four miles (1000 feet), much of which seemed to be over roads streaming with water. Although after Otley-Pool-Arthington I climbed up through Weardly to Eccup hamlet and along the dam wall of Eccup reservoir, which is the main supply to Leeds. I saw only 6 cyclists all day and we all gave each other resigned/supportive waves or smiles - the forecast was for heavy rain and it was. I tried on my new dhb overshoes and was glad I did. Not so much for keeping my feet dry but they felt less cold.

Arthington is a pretty small place - just a few houses by the Pool-Harewood Road - but it has a Coptic Orthodox Church (St Mary and St Abanaoub). There aren't many Coptic churches and this one is the "Leeds" church although it is about 9 miles from Leeds centre.

I only really started riding my ADV bike last June as a "winter" bike to protect the Italian bike and I have now done over 1100 miles on it. Either I am a bit protective or we get a lot of winter round our way.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-01-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Sun, shorts, Staffordshire, six degrees C.

After the recent rain, that wasn't that heavy in these parts, the sun came out and we had a cloudless morning until early afternoon. Another seemingly random road closure for HS2, (the third on that particular road in the last 12 months without any actual building work taking place), meant a slightly different route to the Tame Valley where the flooding began, with each puddle being wider, deeper and longer than the last one.

To the East the Tame had clearly burst its banks, which is very rare. Although we hadn't had that much rain, somewhere between here and its source near West Brom must have had a lot. Crossing the Tame on the A513 I then headed into the Mease valley which was even more flooded.

Puddle of the day goes to a 50 metre monster across the whole of the road on the A513 - the three valleys road that starts in Tamworth with the Tame valley before switching to the Mease valley before reaching Rugeley in the Trent valley. (Pedants will note that there is a short, unconnected, stretch from the edge of Cannock Chase to Stafford in the Sow valley.)

Back to the 50 metre puddle, it is only through years of driving and riding the road that you can guess how deep it will actually be in the middle. Fortunately it was on a straight stretch of the road, so I unclipped one foot from my pedal and aimed for the middle of the road. It's hard to say how deep it was, but I rode over one catseye without seeing it as it was submerged, and the road uses the modern, all glass, model that rises 50mm plus from the surface of the road. As to the normal cycling line, it must have been at least 300mm under water.

Crossed back over the Tame at Elford, and I thought my troubles were behind me until I saw iced puddles at the side of the road. Sure enough, a mile from Whittington I heard a crunching noise and saw that the road was completely iced in a shaded spot. Scared the XXXX out of me, but I managed to stay on somehow.

25.8km with 80m of ascent
    Last edited by Marco; 22-01-2021 at 07:20 PM.

A combination of tired legs, bitterly cold headwind and hills made for a sluggish Arkose bike ride on what otherwise was a glorious day!

Out to Monyash, Longnor and then the long drag up to todays TP at Hollinsclough Moor. Beautiful views over to Chrome Hill and on the virgin snow around the TP some perfect fox prints. Onwards and upwards to Flash stores and then over Axe Edge, where I saw a Raven and some Crows squabbling noisily over an old sheep carcass, to the A54 and down into Buxton.
    Up through Harpur Hill and on to Brierlow Bar, Chelmorton and home.

A total of 30 miles, 3,291 feet in 2hrs 29 min.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 22-01-2021 at 10:14 PM.

My Garmin said it was freezing today, as in 32 F, and when I got back I wondered just how low my core temperature was, despite wearing a lot of kit. Anyway my usual 34 miles pootle along the R Wharfe to Harewood and back through the land of millionaires ie Alwoodley Lane and then through Bramhope (no slum either). There is a plot of land (ie for a house, not a hunting estate) along Wigton Lane (which is what Alwoodley Lane becomes) containing a derelict bungalow which is for sale at 2 million. So you buy the bit of grass, knock down the bungalow and can then start spending real money.

I like cycling along these two roads. It is a constant reminder that money doesn't buy taste. Although the Maserati Ghibli which passed me in Alwoodley was suitably understated, as most Maseratis are. I think the owner must live in Ilkley. Passing Harewood House a McLaren overtook a bus trundling towards me on the way to Harrogate on a section of road where one would need to have total confidence one could accelerate back into the left hand lane in good time before meeting an approaching vehicle. Or an approaching cyclist. However remembering that McLaren used to make half-decent F1 cars once upon a time I held my line. And such a vulgar car!

En route and to help save the planet (by not using my car) I called in at a paper shop, the pharmacist and the Otley Library. Ilkley is part of Bradford City Library but Otley is part of Leeds C.L. and I use both. There are many ways in which one can determine that Bradford is now a poor, sad, smaller sister of Leeds (it wasn't always so) and the difference between the two library facilities is as striking as any. The provision of library facilities for those who cannot buy the books they want to read is a subject that depresses me; but as Bob Dylan sang, "money doesn't talk it swears".
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 22-01-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Passing Harewood House a McLaren overtook a bus trundling towards me on the way to Harrogate on a section of road where one would need to have total confidence one could accelerate back into the left hand lane in good time before meeting an approaching vehicle.
    Something that Prince Nazeem misjudged very badly in his McLaren NAZ 1 resulting in a horrific crash and many would say far a too lenient jail sentence.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Something that Prince Nazeem misjudged very badly in his McLaren NAZ 1 resulting in a horrific crash and many would say far a too lenient jail sentence.
    It was his Mercedes NAZ 1 he wrecked in that accident on Ringinglow Road when he also left the scene leaving two people trapped in the other car.

He wrecked his Mclaren in a different prang.

Oh, the tales I could tell about him and his family!

Reports suggest it was a McLaren-Mercedes SLR but happy to be corrected.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run