Page 752 of 759 FirstFirst ... 252652702742750751752753754 ... LastLast
Results 7,511 to 7,520 of 7582

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Do it soon Marco before it too disappears and becomes No-Hill No-Hill on the No-Hill.
    You're right, if they quarry much more.

In my defence, I only found out you could go to the top, (where there is a church - but presumably no graveyard), when Anthony told me roughly a year ago

During today's pleasant 38 miles perambulation around the environs of the second city I parked near Halfords in Guiseley and secured my bike next to one of those massive German e-bikes powered by the best of Bosch and looking as though it was forged on a Panzer II assembly line. It wasn't so much the huge steel U-Bolt security device, that would have kept a brace of Harleys safe from theft, that next drew my attention but the huge dog (German Shepherd?) that was intimately tethered to aforementioned bike. So a real two-for-one offer for any potential thief.

As I tried to stare down the dog whilst wielding my oxy-acetylene torch the owner arrived and I asked him where he e-biked with his trusty hound winding up to 15 mph to gambol alongside and he assured me that this was not at all difficult and "there is always a back way" to where owner and dog wish to go.

The owner, who might have been German, was very chatty and, not surprisingly since I was only a few feet from it, I thought the vigilant and protective dog was even more delightful.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-04-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You're right, if they quarry much more.

In my defence, I only found out you could go to the top, (where there is a church - but presumably no graveyard), when Anthony told me roughly a year ago
    There is actually quite a substantial graveyard, with some interesting gravestones. Why did the four Mugleston sisters all die within a few years in the prime of life? Was the spelling mistake on the gravestone of one member of the Shakespear family deliberate?

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Do it soon Marco before it too disappears and becomes No-Hill No-Hill on the No-Hill.
    The quarry companies have left us some good examples of no-hills around here: There's Cliffe Hill near Markfield, and Buddon Hill near Quorn. The latter has even got a trig point on it, according to the 1954 OS 1-inch map which I have, but that is long gone.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I couldn't resist going out in this good spell of weather any longer so today went for my first bike ride for 4 weeks.
    Out on the Scott Solace up to Chelmorton, Earl Sterndale and Longnor. Up onto the ridge towards Sheen and a right to Brund. Up to Sheen and then down to Hulme End and a Latte at the Manifold Station Cafe.

Back up to Sheen, where I had my Wren encounter, and back along the ridge to Longnor before a right to Crowdicote where I called into the Packhorse Inn to book a beer garden table for Thursdays RATRun.

Along to Earl Sterndale and over to Hurdlow Town, Flagg, Monyash and home.

The roads were noticeably busier than on my last ride which was before lockdown ended. I even had to stop at some junctions today!

A total of 37 and a half miles, 3'606 feet in 2hrs 28 min.

On my return I found that I had a Strava KOM which I have taken from Tim Gould from Matlock who is a six times Three Peaks Cyclocross Champion. Nice!

My shoulder was a bit tender at the end due to pulling on the bars going uphill. No one to blame but myself and no doubt a bollocking off the physio tomorrow.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Simon Yates looked good on yesterdays second stage of the Tour of the Alps. Hopefully he can keep the form for the upcoming Giro.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

As a change, I decided to ride somewhere I hadn't been to before so after a quick look last night I headed to Aqualate Mere, (no, I'd never heard of it before either), just to the East of Newport (Shrops). I did take the car to Cannock Chase, as I was going that way anyway, as otherwise it would have been nearly 100km

With a name like that you'd expect it to be in Shropshire, but it's not as it's actually in Staffordshire, and I'd never been before despite living in this county for over 50 years. Beautiful carpet of bluebells in the woods at the Mere

Beautiful, cloud-free weather here, although it was only 8 degrees C with an icy wind when I started just after 11. 66.2km with 589m of ascent.
    Last edited by Marco; 22-04-2021 at 07:59 PM.

It's just not right. Either he was a pro riding incognito, or he'd fiddled with his 'electrical assistance'. Is this the equivalent of drug cheating for e-bikes?

I think the second option is more likely and, having been passed and dropped on the M42 early one morning whilst driving just over 70mph (honestly offcer) by a HGV1, I think limiter technology cheating does go on.
    Bring back the guillotine.
    Can't climb for toffee...

It's just not right. Either he was a pro riding incognito, or he'd fiddled with his 'electrical assistance'. Is this the equivalent of drug cheating for e-bikes?

I think the second option is more likely and, having been passed and dropped on the M42 early one morning whilst driving just over 70mph (honestly officer) by a HGV1, I think limiter technology cheating does go on.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Bring back the guillotine.
    Whilst I'm a big supporter of 'innocent until proven guilty', I am prepared to make exceptions

Whilst I'm a big supporter of 'innocent until proven guilty', I am prepared to make exceptions
    ...for the obviously guilty?

The country road between Haworth and Laneshaw Bridge (near Colne) is lovely, passing as it does by several reservoirs (including Watersheddles which is high on the moor above Wycoller) and twists and turns so much as not to allow for HGV. It follows part of the route of the Bronte Way - of Brett RO fame - which is a point to point from Wycoller to Haworth and today the road formed part of my 40 miles, 4200 feet of climb outing in glorious sunshine.

The road is only a few feet from the Watersheddles reservoir bank - just the width of the path along which the Bronte Way passes and today I paused to recall the occasion when I set off in the Bronte Way race but then felt so ill that I decided to drop out - the problem being that as a P2P (and an event that does not mollycoddle entrants) one still has to get to the finish to collect one's transport.

Then I realised that if I could get to the reservoir prior to Brett and Sue driving past on their way to the finish I could flag them down and beg a lift in their ambulance of mercy.

And arrive at the road before they appeared I did - but my waving was interpreted as me just being friendly, Brett & Sue waved gaily back - and sped on towards Haworth and the finish pub.

And I trudged the remaining 9 miles wondering if instead of waving I should have thrown myself under the wheels of their vehicle. Although...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 22-04-2021 at 08:59 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Railway is very dry atm Mr B. Just saying!