Page 771 of 781 FirstFirst ... 271671721761769770771772773 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,710 of 7805

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I am trying to imagine driving a car down a hill at 60mph and having a kamikaze rider on a pushbike pass you with ease. Obviously in a country without speed limits.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I do recall being in Snowdonia at the same time as some cycle event.

Driving from Pen-y-Pass back to Capel Curig, struggling to keep up with the cyclists on the gentle downhill section after Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel... though that was possibly 50mph, certainly not 80...!

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I am trying to imagine driving a car down a hill at 60mph and having a kamikaze rider on a pushbike pass you with ease. Obviously in a country without speed limits.
    Btw on youtube there are GCN interviews with around 20 World Tour riders (including Mark Cavendish) and an explanation of the physics of terminal velocity on a road bike. The venue of choice seems to be the Tour of Switzerland and TV seems to be around 130K (say 81mph).
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I once hit 50.4 mph on the steep A53 down past the Roaches (I remember because it is a 50 mph zone). I had similar thoughts about "what happens if..." and decided I shouldn't go that fast again. It wasn't so much about the polystyrene helmet, it was something I'd heard about motorcyclists crashing. I forget the numbers but it was something like, unless you're wearing the right kit, you lose Xcms of skin/flesh for every metre you slide.

Better cyclists must be much more inured to speed than I ever was. These days 30mph feels fast, and on the tandem I have a built-in safety system that tells me to slow down if we're going anywhere near fast.

I have one of those

So much so that I had to disconnect the rear drum brake that was controlled by the stoker...

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    on the tandem I have a built-in safety system that tells me to slow down if we're going anywhere near fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Btw on youtube there are GCN interviews with around 20 World Tour riders (including Mark Cavendish) and an explanation of the physics of terminal velocity on a road bike. The venue of choice seems to be the Tour of Switzerland and TV seems to be around 130K (say 81mph).
    In his book Sean Yates said the fastest he'd recorded, on his reasonably accurate bike computer, was 71mph on the Côte de Laffrey - and he was known to be heavy (by Pro cycling standards) and very fast on descents. Bike aerodynamics have improved a bit since, but it would take a heavy rider, on a perfect road, in perfect conditions to reach 130km/h

I don't know my highest speed, but I know where it was. It was descending the Col du Glandon, and I passed, (and dropped), one of our group who later told me he was doing 60mph at the time. I remember the front wheel skipping, as the drag was pushing me backwards so hard. I also remember cars coming the other way, and the fact that it wasn't entirely straight or perfectly surfaced. More scary than fell racing
    Last edited by Marco; 16-06-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Clear skies and 23 degrees C. Parked near Hoar Cross and headed North up the A515 to Sudbury where I took the underpass under the A50 dual carriageway. Continued North to Cubley where I turned right onto the old Roman road to Alkmonton. Headed North here to take a quiet road parallel to the A515 through Yeaveley and Wyaston. Had some surprising, but really great, views of Thorpe Cloud and Bunster Hill - the two hills that mark the bottom of Dove Dale but are in Derbyshire and Staffordshire respectively.

The run in to Ashbourne was very different to last time I came this way, 35 years ago, but I reached my goal - the North Staffordshire Railway - LNWR joint station (remains) at Ashbourne. From here I took the Ashbourne bypass, for walkers and cyclists, through the 353m long Ashbourne tunnel. I'd never been through the LNWR built tunnel before, (it was boarded up when I was younger), but it was most impressive; leaving a busy town at one end, and arriving in beautiful countryside at the other end, just 2km from the Peak District. The lighting wasn't so impressive, and it was very dark. luckily it was straight, so I adopted the recognised technique for cases like this and rode down the middle in the direction of the other end, hoping all would be well.

On exiting the tunnel I came to a road and rode over the top of the tunnel and out to Clifton, in the Dove Valley, and then back via Norbury, Roston, Doveridge and Sudbury.

62km with 680m of ascent
    Last edited by Marco; 16-06-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Hot, heavy cloud and humid, but planned a toddle up the hill. Which I managed with much sweat, stopped, turned around and did the classic novice with new clipless pedals mistake. Couldn't get my left foot in, stalled, wobbled and toppled over. Nobody watching 👍.
    Very bent rear ultegra, that lasted 3 rides before I bust it!!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Couldn't get my left foot in, stalled, wobbled and toppled over. Nobody watching ��.
    Very bent rear ultegra, that lasted 3 rides before I bust it!!
    Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I hope it can be bent back into its correct position

If it makes you feel better, I once parked on Llanfyllin High Street and cycled around 50 miles over the Tanat to Bala and back over the Bwlch Y Groes. Fantastic weather and scenery, got back to Llanyfyllin and my pedal wouldn't release; toppled it over on the high Street. On a Saturday afternoon.

Anyone who says they've never done it is not being entirely truthful, hopefully this will be your first and last 'incident'.

We have all done it I'm sure. I fell over at the bottom of my road, waiting at the junction to cross over and come home. Having to give way to a stream of cars, this initiated an attempted track stand which rapidly went pear shaped. A kind lady passer by helped me pick my bike and broken pride up off the tarmac and I scurried off home to lick my wounds.