Page 773 of 792 FirstFirst ... 273673723763771772773774775783 ... LastLast
Results 7,721 to 7,730 of 7913

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

  1. #7721
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    6,995
    Just rolled in from a steady 33m to the fleece in Addingham and back, pint to mary jane and some chips to eat there. I made a detour on the way out to find out where grove road in Ilkley goes, and it doesn't go anywhere really, just to a wood and a sign telling you not to feed sheep rhododendron leaves or they'll die. On the way up I noticed a fabulous art deco style mansion set in a few acres of grounds, very expensive looking, God knows who lives there. On the way back I unsuccessfully tried to find Ilkley brewery, there aren't that many places to hide a brewery in a small town.

  2. #7722
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    On the way back I unsuccessfully tried to find Ilkley brewery, there aren't that many places to hide a brewery in a small town.
    Ilkley is not Tadcaster so it's on a small industrial estate next to the sewage plant (so by the river).

    Really!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  3. #7723
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I made a detour on the way out to find out where grove road in Ilkley goes, and it doesn't go anywhere really, just to a wood and a sign telling you not to feed sheep rhododendron leaves or they'll die. On the way up I noticed a fabulous art deco style mansion set in a few acres of grounds, very expensive looking, God knows who lives there.
    Heathcote

    Neoclassical style villa, designed by architect Edwin Lutyens, completed in 1908.

    Grade I listed building, English Heritage called it a "pivotal" building in Lutyens's career, and "an imaginative and inventive essay in Mannerism". The gardens are Grade II listed in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

    One family of three live there. They own a Bentley, a Jaguar and a Porsche SUV.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  4. #7724
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

    As it's in Mercatone Uno - Wega 1997 team colours,(Graham will understand), it certainly gets seen as the main tubes are bright yellow, whilst the tubes that hold the wheels on are bright red one side and blue the other

    I do find it a bit odd that so many frames are in black these days but maybe as long as one's chums know your bike cost 10K that's OK.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  5. #7725
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

    As it's in Mercatone Uno - Wega 1997 team colours,(Graham will understand), it certainly gets seen as the main tubes are bright yellow, whilst the tubes that hold the wheels on are bright red one side and blue the other
    With all that bright colour going on Marco I would imagine that passers by would think that the Circus is coming to town as you cycle by!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  6. #7726
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Heathcote

    Neoclassical style villa, designed by architect Edwin Lutyens, completed in 1908.

    Grade I listed building, English Heritage called it a "pivotal" building in Lutyens's career, and "an imaginative and inventive essay in Mannerism". The gardens are Grade II listed in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

    One family of three live there. They own a Bentley, a Jaguar and a Porsche SUV.
    I knew I could rely on you, Graham. It's a very striking building and very rectilinear in style. As I zipped past I noticed how well it sat in the space and how red it was. The lack of a backdrop and the way the land falls away behind it really focuses attention on the building itself. Do they take visitors? Can we have a forum luncheon round there? Lots of beetroot salad for Noel.

  7. #7727
    Master mr brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loving it in the Pilates Studio
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ilkley is not Tadcaster so it's on a small industrial estate next to the sewage plant (so by the river).

    Really!
    Have they got a tap room and do they tolerate swan-neckers?

    I peeled off at the old 'Il Trovatore' nightclub which, horror of horrors, is now a cinema, and had a look around the units where Nigel Akids body shop is. No luck obviously.

  8. #7728
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I read an article last year from someone at Bianchi that painting the frame added 50g in weight; and as carbon fibre isn't going to rust, that's why some bikes are plain black
    Ah yes thanks. 50 grams. I must cut my toe nails tonight.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  9. #7729
    Moderator noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Western Peak District
    Posts
    6,018
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I knew I could rely on you, Graham. It's a very striking building and very rectilinear in style. As I zipped past I noticed how well it sat in the space and how red it was. The lack of a backdrop and the way the land falls away behind it really focuses attention on the building itself. Do they take visitors? Can we have a forum luncheon round there? Lots of beetroot salad for Noel.
    I wasn't aware of Heathcote previously. I'll have to saunter past next time I'm up in Ilkley. Grade 2 listed gardens! That would be a badge of honour and a curse for the head gardener. "you can't dig that bed up, it's listed don't you know"

  10. #7730
    Moderator noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Western Peak District
    Posts
    6,018
    Certainly I'd wear lighter fell shoes for 50 grams difference.

    Although shoes make more of a difference because you lift your feet every step - more akin to rolling resistance on bikes.

Similar Threads

  1. Overnight road bike ride
    By fishbulb in forum Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-09-2019, 03:52 PM
  2. first ride on the road bike:-(
    By SEFTON in forum Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21-01-2011, 08:28 PM
  3. so you think you ride a bike
    By IanDarkpeak in forum General chat!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
  4. Anyone fancy a bike ride?
    By JeffM in forum Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-05-2009, 01:41 PM
  5. Easter Lakes Bike ride.
    By Al Fowler in forum General chat!
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •