Page 757 of 846 FirstFirst ... 257657707747755756757758759767807 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,570 of 8451

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I don't buy the point "you can use your body weight".
    Of course you can use your body weight to push the pedals down. But for that to be possible, you have to push your body weight up. Selling it whatever way you like it, the entirety of the workload can only possibly come from your muscles. You will never get any "present" from your body weight.
    Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    I don't buy the point "you can use your body weight".
    Of course you can use your body weight to push the pedals down. But for that to be possible, you have to push your body weight up. Selling it whatever way you like it, the entirety of the workload can only possibly come from your muscles. You will never get any "present" from your body weight.
    Agree?
    I agree. The weight of one's body and bike combined are the same whether seated or standing on the pedals. I think that a different position/angle of the legs/muscles suits, and is more comfortable, for some riders more than others.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

On the Skill of Balancing While Riding a Bicycle
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0149340

Didn't get far up the hill before the thunderstorm moved in, lightning overhead I sprinted for home pursued by hail stones! Do cyclists ever get struck by lightning? I wasn't taking the chance.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I think as Marco says you use a greater combination of muscle groups and weight distribution can be more dynamic which seems for me to generate more power. So I take a very Contador approach to shorter climbs i.e. out of the saddle but this definitely uses more energy and I can't keep this up for long. Anything more than say 500m in length and I'm sat down and probably turning a gear lower than I would when out of the saddle.

Marco, when I have time I'll try to explain why I consider your explanation wrong.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The next obstacle to heading North was crossing the A50, which severed most of the North-South roads in the area when it was re-built as a dual carriageway. I found a way across at Foston, a particularly mangled village split in two by the dual carriageway, and headed North to meet the A515 to the West of Boylestone.
    What upset me was when they built the Toyota factory and closed the straight road from Willington to Etwall, spoiling the best route into the Derbyshire Dales (although I don't get that far on day rides these days).

Looking at the map, the A50 separates the village of Foston from HM Prison Foston, so maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I was pondering this debate on my 39 miles (2700 feet): Bolton Abbey - Burnsall - Grassington - Gargrave ride when an old man passed me on a nasty little climb sitting down. Contador-like I was out of the saddle, but he just got away.

Obviously I then thought of throwing myself into the River Wharfe but whilst contemplating my end and checking that my bike was on the 50:11 cogs for when it was discovered I caught him up - he was meeting a lady friend - to realise it was an electric bike. Oh the exultation! I must have been only doing nearly 15 mph to let him get away, but clearly dancing on the pedals is almost as good as having an engine.

My euphoria lasted until I arrived home to see a SUV and huge closed car transporter parked outside from which was emerging an immaculate silver grey Ferrari 458 destined for a near neighbour. (I've already seen two Ferraris on his drive).

I chatted to the delivery driver who said that when he rang to say he was delivering the Ferrari my neighbout had said on the phone "Oh yes. Which one?"

If I didn't ride a Bianchi I really would feel I was letting the neighbourhood down.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 28-07-2021 at 09:40 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

A ride on the road bike, didn't fall off 👍. Managed 39 miles and 4000ft, my little legs were running out of steam towards the end. Too many hills for a tubby mole, need batteries!

I hadn't paid much notice to the new highway code changes. Thankfully the Daily Mash summarise.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20210730210672