Page 755 of 846 FirstFirst ... 255655705745753754755756757765805 ... LastLast
Results 7,541 to 7,550 of 8451

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I admire the way you have managed to bring a nipple piercing topic into a cycling thread 😎.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I admire the way you have managed to bring a nipple piercing topic into a cycling thread ��.
    I couldn't give a monkeys what people have pierced but I draw the line at waitresses and waiters, and other people serving food or drink for that matter, having those nose or lip piercings.

I have on more than one occasion refused to be served by such people and will continue to do so.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Fifty-five (55!) miles and 3200 feet in allegedly an average temperature of 80 F - and after three gels and two full bidons (+ biccies) I believe.

A tarmac dash to Hellifield to see 35018 British India Line haul 12 coaches up the Settle - Carlisle line (After Stanier surely the most beautiful steam locomotive class ever built?), then some quiet cross country roads to pick up the Leeds-Liverpool Canal and then Route 1 from Riddlesden to Ilkley with its 15% teasers over Keighley Gate (one of Simon Warren's Yorkshire Cycling Climbs).

I took the Boardman ADV bike - well ADV does stand for adventure.

To fight off heat stroke I sang I Fought The Law to myself with its openeng lines of "Breaking rocks in the hot sun, I fought the law and the law won". Written by Sonny Curtis (who played with the Crickets for a while) it is one of his minor works but has had five Billboard Hot 100 placings so is a song which keeps on giving. The most famous version is probably by the Bobby Fuller Four which reached #9 in 1966 (on Mustang records) although I think Bobby Fuller is best remembered for allegedly committing suicide at 23 just after having his third Billbard hit - by drinking petrol. Petrol?

Although if you believe that you probably also believe that he chose and managed to give himself a severe beating first while sitting in his car. Go figure?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 23-07-2021 at 12:00 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Fifty-five (55!) miles and 3200 feet in allegedly an average temperature of 80 F - and after three gels and two full bidons (+ biccies) I believe.

A tarmac dash to Hellifield to see 35018 British India Line haul 12 coaches up the Settle - Carlisle line (After Stanier surely the most beautiful steam locomotive class ever built?), then some quiet cross country roads to pick up the Leeds-Liverpool Canal and then Route 1 from Riddlesden to Ilkley with its 15% teasers over Keighley Gate (one of Simon Warren's Yorkshire Cycling Climbs).

I took the Boardman ADV bike - well ADV does stand for adventure.

To fight off heat stroke I sang I Fought The Law to myself with its openeng lines of "Breaking rocks in the hot sun, I fought the law and the law won". Written by Sonny Curtis (who played with the Crickets for a while) it is one of his minor works but has had five Billboard Hot 100 placings so is a song which keeps on giving. The most famous version is probably by the Bobby Fuller Four which reached #9 in 1966 (on Mustang records) although I think Bobby Fuller is best remembered for allegedly committing suicide at 23 just after having his third Billbard hit - by drinking petrol. Petrol?

Although if you believe that you probably also believe that he chose and managed to give himself a severe beating first while sitting in his car. Go figure?
    Got to be The Clash version for me Graham. (as used to flush out General Noriega)
    Now I know what I will be hearing this morning as I take the bike for a spin.
    One step beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOT View Post
    Got to be The Clash version for me Graham. (as used to flush out General Noriega)
    Now I know what I will be hearing this morning as I take the bike for a spin.
    A few decades after my time I'm afraid but all composer royalties count. Sonny Curtis also wrote the Everly Brothers Walk Right Back , a #1 in the UK. I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall and they managed to get through their whole act without smashing a guitar over the other's head - but perhaps Curtis' most memorable song title is:

Why Did You Say I Do To Me (When You Still Meant To Do It With Him)?

I sometimes suggest that women's cycling can be dull - but the Olympic road race today was sensational.

It made me go all weepy.

There was an American guy in the craven arms today who described the English pub as "a very worthwhile institution". His aim over the coming years is to visit every pub in the dales national park, I strongly advised he call in at the falcon in arncliffe.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    There was an American guy in the craven arms today who described the English pub as "a very worthwhile institution". His aim over the coming years is to visit every pub in the dales national park, I strongly advised he call in at the falcon in arncliffe.
    Just visiting pubs called the Craven Arms will keep him occupied for a while.

Inspired by a certain Austrian lady mathematician I pootled out for 28 miles (2400feet) to reach 122 miles for the week.

I note my current total is 1778 for the year plus 30 miles of running made up of 5 fell races (If it isn't a race then basically, I don't run).

In 2020 at this point my total was 1974 miles plus 8 miles of running in 2 races.

Mathematical conclusion: running fell races diverts one's attention from cycling.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 25-07-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Cycling climbing questions here:

*) why do we want to stand, rather than sit, on steep climbs?

*) I have the impression that, the fitter I am (for climbing), the better I can remain seated. Do you guys share this? What is the reason?

I like this thread!
    Last edited by Gambatte; 26-07-2021 at 10:13 AM.