Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Garmin said it was freezing today, as in 32 F, and when I got back I wondered just how low my core temperature was, despite wearing a lot of kit. Anyway my usual 34 miles pootle along the R Wharfe to Harewood and back through the land of millionaires ie Alwoodley Lane and then through Bramhope (no slum either). There is a plot of land (ie for a house, not a hunting estate) along Wigton Lane (which is what Alwoodley Lane becomes) containing a derelict bungalow which is for sale at £2 million. So you buy the bit of grass, knock down the bungalow and can then start spending real money.

I like cycling along these two roads. It is a constant reminder that money doesn't buy taste. Although the Maserati Ghibli which passed me in Alwoodley was suitably understated, as most Maseratis are. I think the owner must live in Ilkley. Passing Harewood House a McLaren overtook a bus trundling towards me on the way to Harrogate on a section of road where one would need to have total confidence one could accelerate back into the left hand lane in good time before meeting an approaching vehicle. Or an approaching cyclist. However remembering that McLaren used to make half-decent F1 cars once upon a time I held my line. And such a vulgar car!

En route and to help save the planet (by not using my car) I called in at a paper shop, the pharmacist and the Otley Library. Ilkley is part of Bradford City Library but Otley is part of Leeds C.L. and I use both. There are many ways in which one can determine that Bradford is now a poor, sad, smaller sister of Leeds (it wasn't always so) and the difference between the two library facilities is as striking as any. The provision of library facilities for those who cannot buy the books they want to read is a subject that depresses me; but as Bob Dylan sang, "money doesn't talk it swears".
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 22-01-2021 at 08:54 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".