Page 752 of 846 FirstFirst ... 252652702742750751752753754762802 ... LastLast
Results 7,511 to 7,520 of 8451

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Now you're talking; I'd probably have made the owner a financial offer if I'd been there.

My older brother had a Bluemels pump with the three coloured bands - they were made of metal. Pumps were plastic when I got my first 'adults' bike, so I was bit surprised to see one 5 years later on the bike of our top junior in the bike club. More surprising, he had two pumps on his bike. When asked about it, he explained that the plastic pump was for pumping up his tyres in the case of punctures, whilst the metal Bluemels one was for fending off aggressive uncontrolled dogs, usually in the vicinity of farms ...

I would question the use of the word 'relic' in association with fixed wheel bikes, as it is still the fastest, most efficient, and most entertaining form of cycling; so just as relevant now as when it was invented. Years, and years, ago I rode fixed wheel (42 x 16) in the Peak District, even up hills with a single arrow on the OS maps, (so allegedly 1 in 6 or 1 in 7). With the right gear ratio it is quicker uphill than a freewheel-equipped bike, and I surprised quite a lot of good cyclists.
    I think any offer would have been expected to be in guineas but mea culpa I obviously meant "classic".

Brett rides a F/W - perhaps he is the relic?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

39 miles and 4900ft, much of it rough forestry gravel. Surprised I was 30 minutes quicker than 7 months ago (when I last rode the route).
    Oh well, mustn't grumble.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Can't have been me cos my fixed at the moment is a new Cinelli Shark

I have owned a couple of classic track bikes inc a Woodrup

I also have a 1953 Ellis Briggs road bike and an early Mike Burrows Windcheetah

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Brett rides a F/W - perhaps he is the relic?

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Can't have been me cos my fixed at the moment is a new Cinelli Shark
    Very nice. I don't see many of those outside La Stazione

A decent week despite breaking the new bike!
    Total of 96 miles for 10900ft ascent which is my best this year and I feel ok.

Careful Moley...you might get invited to some naughty 2 wheeled adventures!

I have very few photos of Cannock Chase, but here is one I took in April at the very North end, (just under 9km by road from J13 of the M6)

Hopefully, it will illustrate the more attractive spacing of trees, compared to previous decades, and also on the right the very many steep inclines that only descend around 10 metres.

Thank you. Although even 10 metres of climb can count if there are enough of them.

Some years ago my then club aspired to list a race on clear paths through a local wood in the FRA Calendar as a short "C" ("fully marked"). I think the RO must have counted every divot to get the minimum height for inclusion in the Calendar.

The race was held but a young boy whose mother assumed that he was following her reached the finish funnel alone and started hysterically berating the funnel marshal (me) and the RO because her son was lost and therefore fire, police, ambulance, mountain rescue and Air Force 1 * should be instantly summoned to save her child (* I remember well that she was a North American lady).

Fortunately for the emergency services the RO and I resisted instantly calling out the helicopters and her husband arrived shortly at the other end of the finish tunnel accompanied by, of course, the "missing" son.

After extensive therapy the RO decided that the experience was too searing to risk any repeat and the race (with my approval) was never held again.

But after that stimulating experience marshalling/collecting all vest numbers for other events like the first CP on Sedbergh Hills was - well, just a walk in the woods.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-06-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Careful Moley...you might get invited to some naughty 2 wheeled adventures!
    You'll have to take your batteries out before I come along!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Thank you. Although even 10 metres of climb can count if there are enough of them.

Some years ago my then club aspired to list a race on clear paths through a local wood in the FRA Calendar as a short "C" ("fully marked"). I think the RO must have counted every divot to get the minimum height for inclusion in the Calendar.

The race was held but a young boy whose mother assumed that he was following her reached the finish funnel alone and started hysterically berating the funnel marshal (me) and the RO because her son was lost and therefore fire, police, ambulance, mountain rescue and Air Force 1 * should be instantly summoned to save her child (* I remember well that she was a North American lady).

Fortunately for the emergency services the RO and I resisted instantly calling out the helicopters and her husband arrived shortly at the other end of the finish tunnel accompanied by, of course, the "missing" son.

After extensive therapy the RO decided that the experience was too searing to risk any repeat and the race (with my approval) was never held again.

But after that stimulating experience marshalling/collecting all vest numbers for other events like the first CP on Sedbergh Hills was - well, just a walk in the woods.
    Great story. Reminds me of the time i was holding a gate at Sedbergh Gala BORFA when some farmer with a terrible attitude towards runners drove a flock of ewes across a field of U11s running up towards me. One of them bolted through the open gate and he went mental and blamed it all on me.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

... uses the disused Stafford and Uttoxeter railway line that was bought by the Great Northern Railway before becoming part of the London and North Eastern Railway.
    Mmmh. Either you read this on a sign, you've used google or you own eg Railway Clearing House - Atlas of England & Wales 1904