Page 758 of 771 FirstFirst ... 258658708748756757758759760768 ... LastLast
Results 7,571 to 7,580 of 7708

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    As an aside

I stopped going to the Cavendish Pavilion many years ago after a long ride Gaz Shaw and I asked for Cheesy beans on toast.

We were told that the Pavillion only did cheese on toast or beans on toast

Stuff the Duke!
    I must test that in Betty's.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Mr Strava gave me cup for being 3rd fastest over an 8k section of gravel today 💪 and only 36 seconds behind the king!
    I admit it is not the most hotly contested section, but with my age and ability I am happy to take any cups going.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I am always pleased to see my son but I do have mixed feelings when he invites me for a ride. After all he is doing the Fred Whitton - plus lots more things before that. He also stops at the top of climbs and when I am not looking takes pictures of me for "relive my ride".

Coming from Otley he is nicely warmed up after the 7 miles to Ilkley and ready to blast off from my gate towards the rocks and gravel track that on maps is mendaciously referred to as Keighley Road. The descent from the mast at the watershed (River Aire or Wharfe) towards Riddlesden, and which is a tarmac road, is however a pleasant 40mph+ freewheel descent, particularly since the recent resurfacing to eliminate the potholes which used to provide added bounce to one's descent. The climb is one of Simon Warren's chosen and although it only peaks at 15%, at nearly 5000 metres (278 m) it does go on for a bit.

Since I was on the ADVenture bike it then seemed appropriate from Riddlesden to follow the Leeds-Liverpool canal to Silsden which is so handy for the Brunthwaite Lane climb (Wharfedale Harriers' "Murder Mile" hill climb) but only after we had advised two ladies of a certain age that the "noise" they were hearing on their brand new e-bikes was the shrieking brake discs.

Pausing to survey the splendid view at the top of Brunthwaite Lane we waited for an elderly lady to arrive on a Pennine e-bike at some speed to be informed that her e-bike tackled said climb without even breathing hard. She then extolled the virtues of e-bikes (she also had a carbon fibre, skinny tyres road bike back home so there were no questions from her for us about odd noises) for their flexibility to eg whisk you home at 15 mph when the rains came.

She recommended that I might consider one "when I get old" - which I thought was rather sweet.

So I am taking her to Barbados next week.

So: son-bonding, 16 miles +1870 feet and a new friend for life. Isn't cycling great!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 11-05-2021 at 03:59 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    She recommended that I might consider one "when I get old" - which I thought was rather sweet.
    On getting old: is it a sign of getting old when you get overtaken twice by the same cyclist on a ride? And last Sunday wasn't the first time that this has happened to me. The lady who did this to me one day last year had only taken a slightly longer route in one of the flatter parts of Leicestershire; but the bloke who did it last Sunday was seen turning off shortly after passing me the first time, and his route to the point where he passed me the second time can only have been along Priory Lane, which I have previously noted on this thread as being a road suitable for those cyclists who like to maximise their climbing.

The other notable incident on last Sunday's ride involved a large tractor with a trailer full of hay. After it had overtaken me and disappeared round the next bend, I heard a horrendous screech. When I arrived at the scene, one of the tyres of the trailer was hanging off, and the driver was manoeuvring his rig to turn it round.

Anyway, a ride of about 38 miles, southward through Newtown Linford and Newtown Unthank (but no other Newtowns) to Littlethorpe, and back through the middle of Leicester -- but along the Great Central Way and Forest Way cycle paths, from which one sees very little evidence that one is in a major city.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    On getting old: is it a sign of getting old when you get overtaken twice by the same cyclist on a ride? And last Sunday wasn't the first time that this has happened to me. The lady who did this to me one day last year had only taken a slightly longer route in one of the flatter parts of Leicestershire; but the bloke who did it last Sunday was seen turning off shortly after passing me the first time, and his route to the point where he passed me the second time can only have been along Priory Lane, which I have previously noted on this thread as being a road suitable for those cyclists who like to maximise their climbing.
    He could have just sprinted ahead then turned off and waited for you to pass, then done it again. If you were fast and mean enough, you could certainly mess with people's pride by doing that.

My equivalent is overtaking bikes while running (always uphill) or overtaking road bikes while on my 15kg commuter mountain bike. The trick is to look nonchalant and not completely knackered - a fine balance.

Sunshine and light showers was the forecast, and that's what I got - at least to start with. Parked near Hoar Cross and rode North up the A515, before heading through Sudbury and then Doveridge. North to Ellastone and then another look at the road to Stanton that Anthony mentioned a while back.

Continued climbing through Stanton village, all the way to the A52. It was as I reached the 300m contour line that I noticed a very large, and very black, cloud moving over the West side of the Weaver Hills. Fortunately I was going around the East side, and it had gone by the time I reached the strangely named Cauldon Low, which has a 363m summit with a trig point.

Just when I thought I was also too old to chase fish vans, an opportunity came that was too good to miss. It wasn't an Irish fish van, but a Staffordshire farmer pulling his sheep trailer, but it was still very high revs on the biggest gear I've got (49 x 12). The stupidity started just West of Wootton, and I held the back of the trailer all the way to Ellastone (and at a restrained 3m distance I might add). Yes, it was nearly all downhill, but there was a rise at the bottom which was 'challenging' at that speed.

The shot of adrenaline must have done me good, however, as I was powering along the road back, even through a couple of showers. In fact, it was going really well until a mile from the car when the hail started in biblical proportions on the A515 before turning to rain. With visibility down to less than 100m I found an oak tree to shelter under, whilst I put my showerproof top on.

68km with 894m of ascent

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

The shot of adrenaline must have done me good, however, as I was powering along the road back,...
    My neighbour asked me today if my "fancy" (ie trade team) top made me ride faster.

"Of course it does" I replied, "about 5mph quicker".

Honestly! We cyclists are so misunderstood.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Just when I thought I was also too old to chase fish vans, an opportunity came that was too good to miss. It wasn't an Irish fish van, but a Staffordshire farmer pulling his sheep trailer, but it was still very high revs on the biggest gear I've got (49 x 12). The stupidity started just West of Wootton, and I held the back of the trailer all the way to Ellastone (and at a restrained 3m distance I might add). Yes, it was nearly all downhill, but there was a rise at the bottom which was 'challenging' at that speed.
    Would you have engaged in this stupidity if my report of an incident with an agricultural trailer had appeared the day before?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

My equivalent is overtaking bikes while running (always uphill) or overtaking road bikes while on my 15kg commuter mountain bike. The trick is to look nonchalant and not completely knackered - a fine balance.
    The road from my home to the town centre includes a long, gentle hill (climbs about 20 m in 600m horizontal), uphill on the way home. This hill is a favourite for hill reps among local and University athletes. It can be pretty challenging keeping up with them if I am cycling home with panniers full of shopping.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I remember being in Mallorca years ago with Mrs Noel. We'd hired bikes and were cycling into a gale of a headwind along the coast near Alcudia. We were somewhat disheartened but also very impressed to be overtaken by a gentleman on a hand-bike.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Would you have engaged in this stupidity if my report of an incident with an agricultural trailer had appeared the day before?
    Sadly, the answer is 'yes'.

It's fast, it's dangerous and I can't help myself; it's why I found fell racing so appealing