Page 769 of 773 FirstFirst ... 269669719759767768769770771 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,690 of 7730

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Who needs a Bianchi, when you've got a beast like this lurking in your spare bedroom?

Noddy’s bicycle?

Yes, and a four track wide, eight metres long railway bridge. You never know when it will come in handy
    Indeed. One can't have too many high speed railway tracks. I am still mourning Ilkley losing its through lines in the 1960s to become a mere terminus.

Like Euston.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I am still mourning Ilkley losing its through lines in the 1960s to become a mere terminus.

Like Euston.
    Or Matlock. It would be so much easier for me to get to so many fell races if I could get a direct train from Derby to Bakewell, Miller's Dale, Buxton, New Mills Newtown, etc.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Anthony FYI if you're interested in another attempt at Four Fans (July 10th), then entries open on the Fabian4 website on saturday.

Usually a relatively low turnout race, but in these days, there might be a rush so if you want a place then i'd suggest getting in early!

Parked at Rifle Range corner (now disused) on Cannock Chase and rode downhill into Penkridge and across the River Penk. Headed South through Congreve and across the A5 to Brewood, a pretty small town with some lovely old buildings, which has the misfortune to find itself surrounded by the A5, M54, M6 and the Shropshire Union Canal Main Line (that's what it's called on the map)

Headed West to Bishop's Wood before turning North and on to Wheaton Aston, twinned with Wheaton, Illinois. Went wrong here, (there weren't any road signs), and crossed Shropshire Union Canal Main Line, which wasn't in the plan. Still, I got another look at the very wide canal - a much more impressive piece of engineering than the Coventry Canal I'm disappointed to say.

After escaping Wheaton Aston I headed North through Marston and then on towards the oddly name tiny village of High Onn. The road was down to 2m wide at this stage, but it was straight and the surface was good until I reached High Onn. When I reached the small collection of farms that make up the village I was no longer sure if I was on the road or in the farmyard as the road surface was virtually non-existent. It didn't get much better on the road to Church Eaton either, and I had a mile of bouncing through the potholes and gravel - sometimes sideways.

After leaving Church Eaton I met the Wolverhampton bus on a road that didn't seem wide enough for it. Fortunately the driver had the right idea, and stuck it in the hedgerow to leave me just under a metre of space to pass on. No more incidents on the road to Bradley, where I picked up the Penkridge road back

The temperature started off at 18C, with a stiff and quite cold wind from the South West, but rose to 22C by the end. Thick cloud for almost the entire ride, and the occasional spot of rain. 56km with 530m of ascent
    Last edited by Marco; 10-06-2021 at 07:22 PM.

Parked at Rifle Range corner (now disused) on Cannock Chase and rode downhill into Penkridge and across the River Penk. Headed South through Congreve and across the A5 to Brewood, a pretty small town with some lovely old buildings, which has the misfortune to find itself surrounded by the A5, M54, M6 and the Shropshire Union Canal Main Line (that's what it's called on the map)

H
    I lived in Cannock until I was 9 years so I knew the Chase and I am rather sad that I have never been back. I once planned to do the "fell race" on the Chase but decided at the last minute that I had spent too much of my life on motorways and ran something more local; but now in my declining years..?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Headed West to Bishop's Wood before turning North and on to Wheaton Aston, twinned with Wheaton, Illinois. Went wrong here, (there weren't any road signs), and crossed Shropshire Union Canal Main Line, which wasn't in the plan. Still, I got another look at the very wide canal - a much more impressive piece of engineering than the Coventry Canal I'm disappointed to say.

After escaping Wheaton Aston I headed North through Marston and then on towards the oddly name tiny village of High Onn. The road was down to 2m wide at this stage, but it was straight and the surface was good until I reached High Onn. When I reached the small collection of farms that make up the village I was no longer sure if I was on the road or in the farmyard as the road surface was virtually non-existent. It didn't get much better on the road to Church Eaton either, and I had a mile of bouncing through the potholes and gravel - sometimes sideways.

After leaving Church Eaton I met the Wolverhampton bus on a road that didn't seem wide enough for it. Fortunately the driver had the right idea, and stuck it in the hedgerow to leave me just under a metre of space to pass on. No more incidents on the road to Bradley, where I picked up the Penkridge road back

The temperature started off at 18C, with a stiff and quite cold wind from the South West, but rose to 22C by the end. Thick cloud for almost the entire ride, and the occasional spot of rain. 56km with 530m of ascent
    Well I grew up in Church Eaton and went to school there until I was about 8. Typical village school with 3 years in one class. Highlight of the week was the fish and chip van that parked on the pub car park. Moved to Warwickshire then but it is a lovely part of the world and one I should visit on a bike one day. A bit far for a ride from home but maybe park outside Wolverhampton and explore north would be the way. I don't remember much in the way of hills out there - reasonably flat and quiet roads I suspect?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I lived in Cannock until I was 9 years so I knew the Chase and I am rather sad that I have never been back. I once planned to do the "fell race" on the Chase but decided at the last minute that I had spent too much of my life on motorways and ran something more local; but now in my declining years..?
    I'm glad you put "fell race" in quotes, Graham, as I wouldn't want anyone reading this to think that Cannock Chase offered fell running as we know it. It's Forestry Commission land with public access and millions (and I'm not exaggerating) of trees giving a blanket covering 8m high over large parts of it. Couple this with hundreds, possibly thousands, of paths, almost entirely unsigned and unmarked in any way, and it makes for very challenging navigational conditions. I ran every week for 12 years, running a 1 lap loop of various permutations up to 130 minutes in duration, usually alone. Consequently, I found navigation easy when I took up fell running.

The other thing to point out, Graham, if you do run on the Chase is the local speciality terrain. Because the underlying ground is sand and large diameter gravel, there is always some 'give' (a bit like pieces of large scree) when you run but you'll never fall. Wherever streams cross paths they cut a small V-shaped valley of around 1 in 2 gradient, but only for a vertical height change of 5-10m so they are rarely shown in the contours of maps. There is one mile long track that has 7 of these short, sharp valleys whilst ending up on the same contour as you started on, and the repeated change from steep down to steep up destroys your legs.

I first walked on Cannock Chase 50 years ago as a small child and it has changed a lot in that time. Only last Sunday the four remaining cooling towers of Rugeley Power station were demolished - a very big local landmark, and useful navigational refernce point on the North East side of the Chase. The trees are planted further apart than they used top be, so you no longer look into blackness of impossibly dense trees, and they have 'softened' some parts with broadleaf trees. I'll see if I've got some good photos so you can see what you're missing

First ride on new bike, put peddles on and checked it over (well a mate did all the work to be entirely honest). Clipped in my new clogs and wobbled off down the road, a nervous 16k and 250m and didn't fall over 👍.

Great to ride several kph faster than before simply by spending money, never worked like that for fell running, had to b****y train 🙁.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Well I grew up in Church Eaton and went to school there until I was about 8. Typical village school with 3 years in one class. Highlight of the week was the fish and chip van that parked on the pub car park. Moved to Warwickshire then but it is a lovely part of the world and one I should visit on a bike one day. A bit far for a ride from home but maybe park outside Wolverhampton and explore north would be the way. I don't remember much in the way of hills out there - reasonably flat and quiet roads I suspect?
    Having passed through twice in recent weeks I am happy to report that Church Eaton is still a pretty village, and there must be a cafe of note at the church end as there always seems to be groups of cyclist here. (I can't say for sure as I'm a cyclist who rides the bike, not just parades it outside cafes.)

There aren't many contours to cross, and it's what I would call big ring roads, although there is a scarp slope to the North of Beffcote. All the A roads that surround the area are unpleasantly busy, but the minor roads are really quiet. The one piece of caution I would offer is that some of the very narrow roads have a truly bad, possibly dangerous, road surface. If you're going that way I'd recommend your adventure bike for your first visit.