Page 687 of 847 FirstFirst ... 187587637677685686687688689697737787 ... LastLast
Results 6,861 to 6,870 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Which red blooded boy didn't?
    Me. Bicycles are for riding, not fiddling about with. I can just about mend a puncture or fit a new pair of brake blocks. Anything else goes to the professionals in the bike shop. Taking bearings apart? You must be joking!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A trip into Brum partly to check out the progress with the new cycling infrastructure. Not bad and certainly a step in the right direction. Still a way off where it should be but let's hope it delivers according to the proposed plans.
    A scenic route home via the Wast, Lickey, Waseley and Clent Hills. Plenty of mud and leaves on the road so took it easy on the descents. 55km/750m.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Just remembered I used to do my freewheel as well...
    Gee! So was it you who welded his broken forks at the forge at the bottom of the Tourmalet in the Tour de France then?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-11-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Gee! So was it you who welded his broken forks at the forge at the bottom of the Tourmalet in the Tour de France then?
    Non, I was the little fella that pumped the bellows Monsieur

A lovely ride today on the Arkose Adventure bike fitted with new Continental CycloXKing tyres. A total of 36 miles and 2'270feet in 2hrs 53min.
    12 miles was on tarmac and the rest on trail or very muddy tracks and fields. Only 4 dismounts, 2 in cattle trodden gateways and 2 to avoid puddles higher than the crank!

Out to Monyash then up Derby Lane to Long Rake. A section of very broken and rutted track to pick up the High Peak Trail and then a left onto the Tissington Trail and down to Biggin. A decent 2 miles of Bridleway known as Cardlemere Lane and Cobblersnook Lane to pick up the HPT again at Minninglow and then back to Parsley Hay for a Latte stop. Finally to the end of the trail at Dowlow before the usual run home via Flagg and Monyash.

Managed to stay dry apart from a bit of drizzle 10 mins from home but some ferocious gusts of wind on exposed sections of the HPT that nearly had me over a couple of times.

And I would recommend The Continental CycloXKing's. Never missed a beat!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Managed to get the crankshaft oot and confirm the bottom bracket is ******, one bearing completely disintigrated, a few loose bearings and some metal filings floating about in there . Now have to get the BB out, see if my mate has the tool to take off the retaining nut, if not I shall dig out the monkey wrench!
    It's a FSA system, trouble is knowing what tools are called; I can see what the job is and what is needed, but what is it called - all a bit long winded but a good learning curve - I used to fix my cars so surely I can fix a bike
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Managed to get the crankshaft oot and confirm the bottom bracket is ******, one bearing completely disintigrated, a few loose bearings and some metal filings floating about in there . Now have to get the BB out, see if my mate has the tool to take off the retaining nut, if not I shall dig out the monkey wrench!
    It's a FSA system, trouble is knowing what tools are called; I can see what the job is and what is needed, but what is it called - all a bit long winded but a good learning curve - I used to fix my cars so surely I can fix a bike
    I broke a pedal and had to buy a pedal-removing-tool.

It was surprisingly expensive, cost about £20 a minute of use and still looks immaculate.

So I really wish I had some neighbours with bikes so I could say "Oh I can help you with that little job...

I broke a pedal and had to buy a pedal-removing-tool.

It was surprisingly expensive, cost about £20 a minute of use and still looks immaculate.

So I really wish I had some neighbours with bikes so I could say "Oh I can help you with that little job...
    Know what you mean, tracked down the socket for $38, cheaper own brands available. Mate just replied to email "order the new BB and bring it all over". What I love to hear, my charm works every time 🤗
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

A 38 miles (2200 feet) pootle via Pannal and Burn Bridge (near Harrogate) via some country "roads" so slathered in slurry such that I will never abuse my Campagnolo brake blocks there again.

What I like about cycling is, as the NOTW used to claim, "All Human Life Is There". And in "there" I might include the woman who from a stopped position watching me travelling towards her at 15 yards/second (downhill!) suddenly decided to turn right across my path. Fortunately the aforementioned Campagnolo brake blocks stopped me from hitting her broadside and continuing my journey over the roof of her car for some intimacy with Otley's tarmac. I merely uttered "Tut Tut".

Or, as I made my way between Otley and Pool, the tractor (it was a John Deere - I got a good look) that suddenly emerged from a field gate to cross my path towing a Landrover towing a trailer containing sheep. I assume the Landrover had got stuck in the field mud. One would think farmers would know about mud? Anyway I hoped the sheep were not too late for High Tea.

On the outskirts of Pannal my road was closed because a new estate (by Charles Church) is being built. I asked a friendly local how big the estate was to be - closing my road indeed! - and his response was "Too big! 400 houses on this estate!" I looked sympathetic. I used to live in a farming village of 60 properties in two lanes so to me 400 properties sounded like a city. But Charles Church is building in the same fetching, matching red brick - so not all bad.

The farms in the village where I used to live were really higgledy - piggledy. And the mud! Oh my!

And so to home
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 22-11-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Pannal.... I parked up there when I came up to Harrogate to see the TdeF.

Nice looking place.