Page 762 of 846 FirstFirst ... 262662712752760761762763764772812 ... LastLast
Results 7,611 to 7,620 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I was up in the Lakes earlier than expected so caught the sprint at Penrith.
    Took a few pictures - got a good one of Cav.
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/shakeyp/2j4E7e
    Nice Pics, shame you didnt get a shot of ex fellrunner Mark Donovan as he came through his hometown in 9th place overall.

Been a great weeks racing
    The older I get the Faster I was

It was shaping up into an interesting stage, but alas i was busy with work so switched the tv off as they were heading out the other side of Penrith. Caught a glimpse of the peleton going through the village (but sadly they missed the lead group going through as the adverts were on!)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thanks for tipping me off about the imminent (October) release of Dura-Ace R9200.

I don't think I have ever seen a reference to this site on here so

www.disraeligears.co.uk

...is mind blowing.

(It is nothing to do with the over-rated, pop music combo I believe was known as Cream)
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I was well aware of this site, but decided not to share it as I thought it might be a rabbit hole too far to lose hours of time down ...

What you didn't mention, and I only found out a few days ago, was that as well as launching Dura-Ace R9200, Shimano also launched Ultegra R8100, which is also a fully electronic 12 speed groupset

The real question then, is why anyone would buy the 12 speed electronic R9200 for a street price of around £3000, when they could buy the technically same, (but slightly heavier), 12 speed electronic R8100 for a street price of around £2000.
    Indeed but this begs the question of whether Shimano expect to actually sell many Dura-Ace sets (outside arrangements with Pro teams) or whether it is more about creating an image for the wealthy. Madison (the distributors) claim they will sell every set they receive.

My seat just broke. Anyone of you guys experienced anything similar?

My longest road ride today at 52 miles and 5250ft. All went well till a bumble bee hit my mouth and stung me on the bottom lip. Hurt like hell an cycled 25 miles with it swelling up like an inner tube. Went down pub after to rehydrate and had to drink 2 pints through a straw, locals all took the p***!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Having done my 10th fell race for 2021 last weekend (Ilkley Moor) my bike mileage has suffered (2200 only so far) but my son is doing the Fred Whitton tomorrow so I thought I'd go out today for a pootle to empathise: Bolton Abbey, Appletreewick, Burnsall, Bardon Fell,...29 miles and 2500+ feet.

I think the FW is a bit longer and higher than that - but, well, it's the thought that counts.

Thinking of bees, inner tubes and Marco: I think I have stopped repairing inner tubes - life is short and all that - but when I see others on this thread ride 10 year old tyres and like the smell of glue, I feel feckless, profligate and racked with guilt.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-09-2021 at 10:41 PM.

When I was working long hours I calculated that in view of the cost of my precious free time it was actually cheaper to fit a new inner-tube, (particularly if I could buy them cheap/bulk), rather than repair a puncture. This was also exaggerated by the fact that modern puncture repair kits didn't seem to do what they were supposed to do (and used to do).

A change of circumstances, and the purchase of a Park Tools puncture repair kit, has swung the balance the other way. On the subject of tyres, a front gets very little wear and although I don't have accurate annual mileage figures, it is only since my operation that I am doing clearly over 1000 miles a years (and this is spread across two bikes). Each to their own, but I tend to swap the front tyre to the back wheel after three years, preferring to have better grip on the front.

It is also worth mentioning that matured tyres wear better. Back in the early 1980s, Pro bike teams used to mature tyres in dark cellars, (a bit like cheese, but with a different smell), for 2-3 years before use as it improved the puncture resistance and wear. As I tend to buy tyres when they are cheap, rather than when I need them, I end up keeping them for up to 5 years before they get fitted to a wheel.
    Noted.

Being as old as I am, buying tyres for use in 5 years time might be somewhat optimistic.

You can buy matured tyres, otherwise know as old stock

Earlier in the year I bought some of these from a reputable retailer at a very good price

I won't say how much I paid in case someone makes me an offer! (Only available in Red, 23mm and Slick)
    With graphene?

I pondered punctures today as I laboured up the side of Great Knoutberry Hill between Dent Railway Station and Garsdale Head thinking that it would be a long walk back to my car parked in Dent. I first went to Dent 50 years ago (a rich friend owned a second home there!) and then for a few years the wonderful Whernside race was organised by Lyon Equipment. The main road to Dent is from Sedbergh but the route from the south is glorious along a narow road, adjecant to Deepdale Beck and deep in its valley, that includes four road gates that have to be opened (and closed) - so not for those in a rush.

The B6259 from Garsdale Head to Kirkby Stephen is another magical ride. It shares a valley with the Settle-Carlisle railway and the road and railway criss cross and one sees the splendid viaducts (not the hyped Ribblehead) along the way. And the ride back to Sedbergh from Kirkby Stephen has its diversions if you look at an OS map.

And would you believe that a Castle Cement train pulled by a 66XXX pootled by to mark the occasion of my visit? Oh my.

So 35 miles, 2400 feet (but most of them within a couple of miles) on a glorious autumn day.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-09-2021 at 10:57 PM.

My Father is always telling me he doesn't buy green bananas anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Noted.

Being as old as I am, buying tyres for use in 5 years time might be somewhat optimistic.