Page 648 of 847 FirstFirst ... 148548598638646647648649650658698748 ... LastLast
Results 6,471 to 6,480 of 8461

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Planning on doing the Bournville Hilly Classic in a few weeks so went on a tour of the Lickey and Wast Hills to the south of Birmingham. Not an area I know too well but enjoyed exploring new roads though not sure if lives up to the billing of being similar to Liege Bastogne Liege!
    Clocked up about 1000m ascent in 60km. Lovely sunny morning though very chilly first thing.

http://cycleclassics.co.uk/bournville-classic/

Pete, that map looks a tad 'contorted'? I hope that they have excellent signage, you could 'meet yourself coming back'.Our group had a good 'hill-less' 68 miler in on Thursday:- Lancaster, University, Galgate, Conder Green, Pilling, Gt Eccleston (coffee), Thistleton, Weeton, Gt Plumpton, Westby, Lytham (lunch) then straight up the coast via Blackpool Promenade, Fleetwood, ferry across Wyre estuary, Knott End, Pilling Lane, Pilling, Cockerham & Lancaster. The W wind made up for the lack of hills.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Pete, that map looks a tad 'contorted'? I hope that they have excellent signage, you could 'meet yourself coming back'.Our group had a good 'hill-less' 68 miler in on Thursday:- Lancaster, University, Galgate, Conder Green, Pilling, Gt Eccleston (coffee), Thistleton, Weeton, Gt Plumpton, Westby, Lytham (lunch) then straight up the coast via Blackpool Promenade, Fleetwood, ferry across Wyre estuary, Knott End, Pilling Lane, Pilling, Cockerham & Lancaster. The W wind made up for the lack of hills.
    Sounds good - I rarely get the time for a 68 miler mores the pity - must try and get some longer rides in before the winter sets in.

Had the same thought myself about the signage. Although convoluted in order to maximise the hills, it's basically an out and back route that only uses one or two longer flat sections in both directions. There are a lot of shared junctions though so presumably the signs will be moved after the last rider has gone through on the outbound section. GPS was nightmare to follow this morning as you don't know which breadcrumb to follow at times!

Today's non-bike ride was enforced by dental surgery this week meaning no running or cycling for a few days. Anyway, made good use of my time by giving the commuter (Genesis Croix de Fer) a deep clean and winter set up. Early morning rides are now needing full lights and wetter weather now will be more prevalent so the mudguards have gone on too. I usually find this hard as I know the onset of winter is therefore only around the corner - not usually a great time for me. However, this year I have to admit to feeling more positive than the last few. Perhaps the magnificent summer has had a lasting effect and I'm looking forward to the next few weeks activities at least: 1 tough sportive, 2 fell races and 3 trail races fill the next 8 weekends. I'm going into the dark side of the calendar fighting!

Are you doing any of the Shropshire Winter Series, Pete.....?

Planning on doing the Wrekin Wrecker, Cardington Cracker and Long Mynd Valleys. Carding mill canter is a possibility too. I presume you will be doing the entire series!

Definitely doing Breidden next week, and the Wrekin Wrecker. Will miss Cardington as doing the Cheviot Goat. Then I'll try and do the remainder of the races, with the exception of Wrekin in March.

Fantastic 50 mile ride today which included the very autumnal Elan Valley Dams. BBC Countryfile Ramble taking place from the Welsh Water, even though the Brummies drink it, Visitor Centre but no sign of Kate or Ellie so I didn't hang around.
    What I did see was plenty of Red Kites, 3 Buzzards, 2 Jays and the highlight was a magnificently large Red Fox with a splendid brush. He jumped out of the bracken right in front of me causing me to take evasive action. I have not seen a fox like this for years, as the ones I usually see are the grey/brown types that live a little closer to civilisation and survive on pizzas, kebabs and suchlike!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Bournville Classic completed today. A tour of the Wast, Waseley, Lickey and Clent Hills to the south of Birmingham. 109km with 1900m ascent starting and finishing at the Cadbury factory. Probably the toughest ride I've done all year- nowhere flat and although no major long hills, lots of short steep, leg sapping stuff. 16 categorised climbs and plenty of technical riding. Have just polished off the biggest bacon sarnie you have ever seen which I have been looking forward to since about 50km in!

Banned
    A gentle 40 minute potter around a coastal paths and back via the harbour.

Turkey is a lovely place for a quiet getaway and some late sunshine.
    28° at 11.45am NICE🏖👍