Having been unable to shake off a tight hamstring since Lads Leap I have eased off on the running and in order to keep the fitness up, early last Sunday went for my first bike ride in nearly 3 months.

Out on the Arkose on tarmac to Chelmorton and then off road on a combination of bridleways, the High Peak and Tissington Trails to Biggin, over to Minninglow, back to Chelmorton and the road home.

36 miles, 1'667 feet in 2hrs 43 min.

The only incident of note was that as I was heading to Parsley Hay on a narrower section of trail, through a cutting that goes under the A515, I saw two horses galloping side by side towards me. Our combined speed was around 40 mph and the gap was closing fast. Not really having anywhere to go I noticed that they fell into single file but still galloping. As the first one was a few feet away I could see that both riders were struggling to hold them back and were straight legged in the stirrups, leaning back and pulling like hell on the reins. A scary moment as they went by in a flash, only 2 feet at most away from me. A mile later, when I stopped at Parsley Hay for a Latte, my heart was still pounding!

Yesterday morning I got the Scott road bike out and although cool and breezy had an enjoyable ride out to Flagg, High Needham, Hartington, Heathcote, Biggin, Friden, Arbor Low, Monyash, Magpie Mine and home. No equine scares just heaps of potholes to avoid.

31 miles, 2,431 feet in 2hrs 2mins. Arse a bit sore!