Page 780 of 791 FirstFirst ... 280680730770778779780781782790 ... LastLast
Results 7,791 to 7,800 of 7909

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I was pondering this debate on my 39 miles (2700 feet): Bolton Abbey - Burnsall - Grassington - Gargrave ride when an old man passed me on a nasty little climb sitting down. Contador-like I was out of the saddle, but he just got away.

Obviously I then thought of throwing myself into the River Wharfe but whilst contemplating my end and checking that my bike was on the 50:11 cogs for when it was discovered I caught him up - he was meeting a lady friend - to realise it was an electric bike. Oh the exultation! I must have been only doing nearly 15 mph to let him get away, but clearly dancing on the pedals is almost as good as having an engine.

My euphoria lasted until I arrived home to see a SUV and huge closed car transporter parked outside from which was emerging an immaculate silver grey Ferrari 458 destined for a near neighbour. (I've already seen two Ferraris on his drive).

I chatted to the delivery driver who said that when he rang to say he was delivering the Ferrari my neighbout had said on the phone "Oh yes. Which one?"

If I didn't ride a Bianchi I really would feel I was letting the neighbourhood down.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 28-07-2021 at 09:40 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I was pondering this debate on my 39 miles (2700 feet): Bolton Abbey - Burnsall - Grassington - Gargrave ride when an old man passed me on a nasty little climb sitting down. Contador-like I was out of the saddle, but he just got away.

Obviously I then thought of throwing myself into the River Wharfe but whilst contemplating my end and checking that my bike was on the 50:11 cogs for when it was discovered I caught him up - he was meeting a lady friend - to realise it was an electric bike. Oh the exultation! I must have been only doing nearly 15 mph to let him get away, but clearly dancing on the pedals is almost as good as having an engine.
    As I said only 3 days ago in #7774

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Those blasted e-bikes get everywhere!
    On the plus side, the implication is that it is only e-bikes that can pass you on climbs. Clearly, you are more Contador-like than you realise!

A ride on the road bike, didn't fall off 👍. Managed 39 miles and 4000ft, my little legs were running out of steam towards the end. Too many hills for a tubby mole, need batteries!

I hadn't paid much notice to the new highway code changes. Thankfully the Daily Mash summarise.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20210730210672

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    What upset me was when they built the Toyota factory and closed the straight road from Willington to Etwall, spoiling the best route into the Derbyshire Dales (although I don't get that far on day rides these days).
    When I looked on the map to check the road I remembered that I had a romantic liaison on it, probably about where the Toyota car park is now, with a young lady from a rival South Derbyshire cycle club.

Sadly, that was truncated by my second redundancy; the closure of the road and the end of your fun came later

I've just watched a bit of the BMX cycling at the Olympics, with those dinky little bikes. Having the saddle so low down made me wonder what on earth that was all about so, in my ever present quest for knowledge, I had a quick look online. The first thing I found was this:

https://pedallers.com/why-are-bmx-seats-so-low
    "If the seat was higher, the rider would end up hurting the perennial area or genitals which can be extremely painful."

So, now I know that hurting ones genitals can be extremely painful. Isn't the internet a mine of previously unknown information!

This Russian Olympic Committee team seems a bit of a joke to me.

I thought it was set up after Russia was banned by the IOC for not getting a grip on its state sponsored doping and to allow the few Russian born "clean" athletes to compete.

It seems that they have a full contingent of athletes and are doing very nicely thankyou, currently 4th in the medal table.

And all the commentators refer to them as Russian athletes anyway!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    This Russian Olympic Committee team seems a bit of a joke to me.

When didn't the C in IOC stand for corruption?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I read somewhere that they had to be referred to as the ROC with no mention of Russia.

On 19 February 2021, it was announced that Russia would compete in Tokyo under the acronym "ROC" although the full name of the committee itself could not be used to refer to the delegation.
    Last edited by bigfella; 31-07-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Today's ride for me. 38 miles via Meerbrook, Hartington and Longnor. 3500 feet of ascent - I was aiming for longer and flatter today, but it's hard to completely avoid hill round here. Not many others out. I suspect the keen cyclists were out this morning in the rain. I'm definitely a fair weather cyclist - certainly when I'm on the road bike.